1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best shot on a turkey

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Doug Brown, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I made, what I think is a great shot on a big tom this weekend. What is the farthest away you've killed a tom with a shotgun? Serious answers only please.

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

67 yards slightly uphill with a load of 3" magnum #4 copper-plated and a .675 choke in a Mossberg 835 (28'barrel). Hit him with only 4 pellets in head and neck.

Morgan

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

not a shotgun - my boy made an excellent shot on a nice tom this weekend - perfect center head shot with a .22 from 40 yards.

4. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

The longest shot I took is my longest kill. 72 paces from point of fire. The shell was a 3 inch #4 hevishot. No follow-up shot needed.

GS

5. RLAllen

RLAllen TS Member

72 yards with 10 ga., 3 1/2, max., 6. Bird was on the run. Bird had pellets from head to spur. Performed about a 25 yd. circle death dance for about 3 minutes.

6. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

63 yards Federal copper plated #6

Funny thing is: Pop and me handed each other guns as we crossed a fence. Heard the bird in the roost. Got set up, made a few calls as the sun was coming up. Bird came down in small clearing about 63 yards away. Damn thing just strutted for 15 minutes as the sun began to rise. I know he saw my decoy but he was not coming in. I figured I coud press the shot with my Benelli SBE Rhino .660 choke, 3.5 inch Federal #6's backed with two #4's. I picked the gun up and saw a high viz sight. I said Shit, wrong gun. It was my dad's Browning Gold 3 inch magnum with a standard full choke. If I put th egun down, the bird would see me, my arm was killing me so I said shit or get off. I shot, the bird dropped like a sack of potatoes.

I could not believe I made that shot with that choke.

Skinned it out, never found one BB in it.

I think I knocked it out cold, then I killed it when I stepped on its head for good measure.

7. Doug Brown

My shot was 74 steps/yards, with a 10ga., 2-1/4oz of 4's. Killed him graveyard dead,

8. Urbans

Urbans Member

People that shoot at 65 & 70 yards are missing the best part of Turkey hunting. It is hard to hear them drumming, or seeing the sun glisten off of the bird feathers. I use Federal #6 copper shot and aim for the neck & the head ,slightly above where it joins the body. I do use a decoy. Just my thoughts on the subject. Good luck & good hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. WV Bob

WV Bob TS Member

My 8 year old grandson was told if the Turkey comes within the marked 15 yard zone he could shoot it with the .410 with number 4 shot. We did not think he could sit that quite that long. I was about 20 paces behind him calling. The Tom was about 20 pounds with a 7 in beard.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

15 yards.

Long shots don't impress me. Too great a chance to injure, and not kill.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

About 20 feet with a load of #6 from a 20 gauge. It was my first turkey and I was about 11 years old. My grandfather called in a group of jakes which more or less ran right over me, when the last one passed by I put the bead on the back of its head and let rip. Pretty fast kill.

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I like to get them within 40 yards for a good kill. It gets harder and harder to center your shotgun pattern on a bird much past 40 yards.

13. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

Witnessed: Tom hung up and getting further away at 45 paces with a Model 12 marked full 1 3/4 oz 2 3/4" nickel plated #6's by Activ. Turkey fell over deader than a doornail as if he took a 10ga from 10 yards. Here's where I'd call BS if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes. Turns out the the barrel on that Model 12 had been cut off behind the choke and was virtually a cylinder bore. He didn't find out about cut off barrel until he took it to Briley to put choke tubes in it. Turns out they had to design the tubes custom because the barrel wall was so thin compared to what they normally see on Model 12's.

Personally: 53 paces with an 870 Super Mag with 2 1/4 oz of #4 copper plated with the X-Full turkey Rem-Choke.

BFJ

14. Juno

Juno TS Member

Something I've always wanted to shoot. I've never had the chance though. Maybe someday.

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I like to get them 30 yards or less so I would have to say maybe 35 to 37 yards in my early days.

16. Doug Brown

I do agree that a long-shot should not be attempted by a novice, but unfortunately not all of my turkey hunts happen like the ones on television do.

17. ClaysII

ClaysII TS Member

I put the gun up for turkeys 3 years ago and have never looked back.Set your decoys about 4-5 steps in front of the blind,no need to make this difficult.When he comes in so close you flinch when he gobbles you will have a new perspective on things and a real rush.Last years bird was a whopping 8 yard shot,about perfect for me.I prefer to shoot them in full strut,but the key is to get them coming or going,not broadside,then the base of the beard or the base of the fan is a perfect aiming point,results will be quick if done right.The great thing about turkeys is that it's just a turkey.If you screw one up no big deal.Relax and go find another one,not quite the same with a 150" whitetail.I tend to become depressed and suicidal when I screw one of them up with the bow,opportunities are to hard to come by...

18. Landyn16

Landyn16 TS Member

The longest yardage i have ever killed a bird (crow) my range finder read 442 yards.

p.s. I used my .300 weatherby magnum. (I gess you could call that cheating)

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Took a 25 lb bird out of the air from 30 yrds with 4 shot

20. ubernut

ubernut TS Member

70 yrds up hill 3.5 inch magnum,
    bird flying away, me hanging out the side of a rhino about 20 mph

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.