1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best semi auto skeet gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by waynewash, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waynewash

waynewash Member

Im getting older and am thiking about a semi auto 12 ga. to shoot skeet, Im looking at Beretta and Benelli. Any suggestions, im left handed so cast and drop are important as is recoil. I tecently went from a skb unsingle for trap and bought a ugb 25 my scores have improved and im having more fun.

2. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Rem 1100 good for a lefty, no cast right or left. Wear like iron(ha ha) easy to get parts for, only need a nail and a rock to take apart.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If you don't mind the hulls flying past your face, it's hard to be a Remington 58. They are very soft shooters and can be bought very reasonably if you shop around a little.

If you need a second opinion on this gun, just give Tron a hollar.

ss

4. Claysmoke27

Claysmoke27 Member

Take a look at these.http://www.berettausa.com/products/al391-teknys-gold-sporting/

5. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have a remington 1100 skeet with a tom morton gizmo that allows only four hulls to hit the ground in a round of skeet. jm

6. fly

fly Active Member

Mike Schmidt holds the worlds record of 2xxx straight registered 12 gauge targets with a Beretta 390.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

1100 fits almost everyone, and the balance is better than the barrel light Italian guns.

I have a Beretta, a SuperX Model 2 sporting, and a half dozen 1100's. My go to skeet iron is the "Mud Gun", formerly a Magnum with a skeet barrel and a Morgan pad modified for twist. When the forend support broke I had to replace it with a Bob Allen cable tie.

Ugly but efficient.

HM

8. leftex

leftex Active Member

A left handed 1100 or 1187 is very hard to beat.
    Wayne

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I had one of the S&W 1000 skeet models with the bradway style ribbed and compensated barrel...sorry I ever sold it,..still the best feeling gun i ever shot skeet with

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Look for a decent used left hand 1100 skeet gun or non-magnum field gun.

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I believe Wayne Mayes' original skeet gun was a Winchester 1400 named "Blondie"...he set countless records with this off-the-shelf autoloader. Regards, Ed

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

reyper is more knowledgeable than I about the autoloader that Wayne Mayes currently uses; he retired his original Winchester 1400 some time ago...don't know when and thought it is in the skeet shooting museum...just remember seeing a training video he made with Kaye Ohye using it and articles about the records he set with it. When I took a couple of skeet classes from Wayne he was using some type of Beretta. Gotta be careful about mentioning skeet on this site...good way to get criticized. Regards, Ed

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Not the Benelli.

Beretta or 1100/1187? Left-handed I'd go with the Beretta. It's easy to switch the safety and the shims to make adjusting the stock easier. The 1100/1187 has no cast so that is not a left-hand issue, but it is stocked low and crooked by today's standards. 1100 trapguns with a skeet barrel makes for a very sweet pointing gun.

Conventional wisdom says you'll get less broken parts and malfunctions with the Beretta. If you go with 1100/1187 change the main-spring every 10,000 rounds. If you buy used, change it now.

If you go with 1187 make sure you get a 'Target Barrel' (2 3/4" shells only). They're more reliable than the 3" field barrel with light target loads.

With either the Remington or Beretta buy and use BreakFree CLP.

Or get a used SX-1 and join that cult.

Did I say not to consider the Benelli?

14. dshot

dshot Member

Thanks jm1079, I have Rem. 410 skeet gun with one of those gizmo's in it and never knew who made it or what it was called.

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well I agree with HM here-- its hard to do better than an 1100

After that the Beretta 390

Then probably the Browning Gold/Winchester Super X series 2 and above

Beretta 391

Then maybe Benilli Super Sport- which would be higher except for the felt recoil- it pounds the heck out of you it seems

regards from Iowa

Gene

16. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Wayne,

I would ask on a skeet shooting forum. This forum in THE BEST place for trap shooting info, but your not really going to get the best answers here.

All that said...the Rems 1100's are a great trap auto and are loved here...as it should be. However, you will rarely see anything but a Beretta on a skeet of sporting range, there must be a reason for that. Like I said...ask your question on a forum where people are as obsessed with skeet as this place is obsessed with trap.

Mark

p.s. If you like your UGB, the sporting/skeet version supposed to even better on the skeet/sporting range.

17. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

There is a left hand Winchester 1400 28" with chokes on GunBroker now.

18. andybull

andybull Active Member

Get a Beretta 300 series shotgun, or a Winchester SX-1. You won't look back.

Andy

19. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Remington 1100 would be my first choice. Soft recoil. Left hand available. They require a little more maintenance.

Second choice would be a Beretta 390. Very low maintanance. A bit more felt recoil than the Rem 1100. More reliable than the 1100.

I have a 390 with a G Squared stock. I also have four Remington 1100's.

Jim Skeel

20. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

any beretta 300 series gun. stock is adustable to provide a better fit. You can shoot 100's of shells between cleanings. Go to any skeet tournament, and those shooting semi-autos will be shooting berettas. You might see the odd 1100 occasionally.

buy a left handed 1100 if your a lefty

Last I saw Mayes was shooting a beretta 303.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best semi auto shotgun for skeet

best semi auto shotgun for trap and skeet

best semi auto skeet shotgun

best skeet semi auto shotgun
best skeet shooting semi auto
semi auto for skeet
semi auto skeet gun
semi auto skeet shotgun