1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best scope for 10/22

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gasman03, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I am looking for a scope for my Ruger 10/22. Is a variable or a fixed power they way to go. What model?

Corey

2. Custer

Custer Member

I have had a Leupold 2.5x8 vari on my 10/22 for the past 7years and find it just perfect. Custer

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For the 10-22T, a Leupold 4-12x Vari-X II.

For the sporter barrel models, any ol' piece of junk scope will do, 'cuz the gun isn't up to the task.

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've got a Weaver 2-7 on mine and it worked great. I find that when I'm using this gun for squirrel hunting I leave it on 4 power.

Bill

5. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I have a 10/22 that I bought 5 years ago with a Bushnell 2 to 7 scope that will print 5 shot groups of 1/2 in at 50 yards. So Brian I believe your full of Bovine feces. Ben

6. smartass

smartass TS Member

FarmerD, would that be male or female bovine feces?

Corey, I suggest you go with a light and cheap variable power scope. You really don't need to put an expensive scope on a 22 since it's range is so short.

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Please be aware that most rifle scopes without adjustable objectives are set to have minimum parallax at 150 yards. Scopes made expressly for a .22 rim fire are set to have minimum parallax at 60-75 yards. Scopes made expressly for a .22 rim fire also often have thinner cross hairs.

I have used a Leupold 4X “Rim Fire Special” for many years on various .22 rifles. I have two of these fine scopes and one now resides on a Marlin Model 39 AS and the other on a Ruger 77/22 sporter. They are ultra clear, have about 5” of eye relief and have minimum parallax at 75 yards. They are great hunting scopes especially for squirrel and I have used one on a Marlin 336 .35 Remington with good success. They are made on the Leupold compact scope body and are as rugged as a full size Leupold 4X.

However, that said, I wish that I would have spent the extra money and purchased the Leupold 2x7X Rim Fire Special variable model. The 2X setting will give a wider field of view and the 7X setting would make shooting paper targets easier.

Please buy a good scope. It may be “just a .22” but a good scope makes any rifle more enjoyable to use.

8. Brian in Oregon

FarmerD, quote: "I have a 10/22 that I bought 5 years ago with a Bushnell 2 to 7 scope that will print 5 shot groups of 1/2 in at 50 yards. So Brian I believe your full of Bovine feces. Ben"

My response to that is - Count your blessings. You're very fortunate to get a Ruger 10-22 with a sporter barrel that will make dime sized groups. In fact, it's doing as well as some 10-22T's. Most sporter barrel 10-22's are 2 MOA guns at best, and many are 4 MOA. Whatever you do, do not sell that gun.

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

FarmerD.....My 10/22 does the same but I have a Remington 597 that is just as good with the same ammo. Believe it or not the Winchester dynapoint shoots the best in all my 22's including handguns.

School-teacher said it best, get a good scope, you won't be disappointed. The Weaver I mentioned in the previous post is a 22 rimfire scope. The Leupold he mentioned is a good one also.

Bill

10. Tim Lee

Tim Lee Member

Corey -

For .22s, especially at shorter distances (I don't shoot beyond 100 with mine), I've had good luck with Airgun scopes (they are built quite rugged too, because of the dual recoil on springer air rifles).

YMMV, but I have a BSA 3-12x variable that seems to be holding up well, and tracks well. It focuses down to about 7.5 yards and has target turrets. I bought mine at Natchez... It's not too badly priced either at $55. They also have a 2-7x for $50 and a 4x fixed for $25 that are rated for airguns.

Here's the link on the 3-12x;

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=OSAR312X44

-Tim

11. School Teacher

Brian:

I appreciate your comments on many issues and I agree with you 100% on the poor barrels and triggers found of most Ruger 10/22’s. I was lucky to shoot a 5 shot 1” group at 50 yards with my factory 10/22 deluxe sporter.

I replaced the barrel with a .920 target barrel with a match chamber, had a trigger job done to make the pull crisp and set it to 2.5 pounds. I added a Fagan thumb hole stock (which I sanded and finished with Tung oil) and a Burris 4.5 x 14 AO scope I had kicking around. On a quiet day with no wind, I have shot many 5 shot 1” groups at 100 yards. At 50 yards, it shoots one hole groups all day long.

There are many after-market companies that make barrels, triggers, etc. to make up for the myriad weaknesses in production 10/22’s. To me its worst feature was its sloppy trigger.

12. Brian in Oregon

School_teacher, 1" 100 yard groups with a rimfire is impressive, because at around 70 to 80+ yards, the bullet is crossing the sonic barrier (it's going subsonic). The bullet is buffeted by the air and experiences turbulence. This opens up groups. Your statement that your target 10-22 shoots one hole groups at 50 yards, and 1" groups at 100, illustrates this.

I've found the worst ammo for shooting past the sonic barrier point are the truncated cone hyper-sonic types. The best bullet I used for hunting was the old CCI SGB (Small Game Bullet). It was a standard velocuty 40 grain round nose design, but the very tip was flat. It was accurate, bucked the sonic barrier well, and hit hard at range. I made some impressive long range kills with them out of my Anschutz target rifle.

The biggest problem with the 10-22 sporter barrel is the chamber. It simply crap. These guns will digest Stingers, which ought to tell you something right there. Stingers should never be used in a match chamber, because the case is longer and they can hit and damage the leade. The 10-22 sporter chamber has a very long leade, and that's its undoing. There was a guy in the NE who had a business setting back 10-22 sporter barrels and rechambering them with a match or Bentz chamber (half-way between a SAMMI sporter and match chamber), and these barrels then turned in very decent groups. Ruger is a big believer in SAMMI specs, and that's the undoing of the 10-22 sporter. It was a real surprise when they deviated from SaMMI specs and put in a modified Bentz chamber in the 10-22T.

My guess is that Ben (FarmerD) got a 10-22 sporter with a halfway decent chamber. Which is why he should never sell that gun. And I'd sure be hesitant about putting Stingers through it, since it shoots so well.

13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Brian, my sporter shot better than my friends target model. He sent it in and ruger rebarreled it. Still was about the same with all different types of ammo. He sold the rifle. He could even outshoot his rifle with his ruger mark with a red dot sight at 50 feet.

14. Brian in Oregon

One of the problems with the target models is that they do not like to be free floated. They depend on contact with the stock at the front. The barrel is simply too heavy for the alloy receiver. Instead of free floating the barrel, many respond better to fully contact bedding the barrel, and free floating the receiver. This sounds counter-intuitive, but it often works.

Another issue with Ruger is inconsistent quality. Often when a new model comes out, they get a reputation for accuracy. Then, after the production run has been underway a while, the accuracy drops. I dunno if they simply take more care with the first run, or if they crank up the assembly line later and take shortcuts, but the end result is the same. The 77-22 Hornet now has a reputation for iffy accuracy, but the first production run were tackdrivers. Likewise, the first 10-22T models were tackdrivers. Most are still pretty dang good, but lemons have turned up.

Speaking of 10-22T's, here's an interesting comparison. My Anschutz 64, topped with a Leupold 6.5-20x, with a two ounce trigger, shooting from a bipod, make 200 yard shots possible on sage rats. I made lots of impressive kills with that gun. However, it was a single shot, and if I missed, the sage rat usually took a dive before I could reload. This made it difficult to use in the wind, especially shifting winds. I bought the 10-22T, put a 4-12x Leupold on it, and my kill ratio went way up. Simply because I was able to immediately correct for the wind. This gun is at best a 135 yarder on a calm day, and is nowhere near the quality of the Anschutz. Yet I made more kills with it. This illustrates that accuracy can be subjective at times, because other factors may be involved. I traded off the Anschutz, and it's one of the few guns I got rid of that I wish I hadn't.

Another thing about 10-22T's is that you can do better by building your own target grade 10-22, but, you'e going to have to spend twice as much and perhaps have to experiment with trial and error. If you simply purchase a Butler creek barrel and stock, you'll probably duplicate the 10-22T. If you buy the better grade barrels, get a good match stock, do bedding, and get a good trigger group, you can cut even 10-22T groups in half. But again, you're looking at a lot more money.

15. School Teacher

Brian:

I have never liked any of the “hot rod” .22 cartridges. IMO, they are for numbers junkies.

I grew up shooting standard velocity Remington Kleenbore LR cartridges because that is all the local hardware store sold. Later on, the store started selling Remington Golden High Speed bullets but these were not as accurate. My first .22 was a Marlin 81DL with a Redfield peep site. I would crank up the elevation to a maximum and could shoot beverage cans off of a fence rail at well over 200 yards. I think that I could hit about 1 out of 3 shots but I liked to hear the “dink” when the bullet hit the steel can. The old PBR cans made good targets.

On the range, I shoot Wolf Match Target (1050fps) in all my rifles. This ammo is brass cased, well lubricated and is made in Germany by the same company that used to make the ammo for the Soviet Olympic team. I am on my third 5,000 round case of Match Target.

Back in the 1960’s, I used to use a short hollow point for squirrels in a Remington 572 pump action. I had a friend’s dad who wanted the brains so most of my shots were chest shots. The little bullet did a good job and did not make too much noise.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have found the way to make the 10/22 shoot really good groups is add a second bedding screw. My favorate way to do that is to epoxy a three inch long aluminun sleeve on the barrel just in front of the receiver. I drill and tap it for a 1/4 28 bedding screw. I also replace the Ruger bedding screw with a 1/4 28 screw. I bed the sleeve in the stock with epoxy and free float the barrel and receiver. One hole groups and the POI stays put. HMB

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I used to squirrel hunt a lot, and I had a 10/22 with the sporter stock. I added a 3X9 scope and never looked back.

It was a pretty good tack driver.

Gave it to my son when he graduated from high school and he still has it.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.