1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Best SBT for $7000 and under?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluedsteel, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I know that there have been countless threads in the past on the "best trap gun", but I can't seem to find any with the following qualifications:

(I am the interested party...I am looking to upgrade...with an eye on improving my handicap scores.)

1. The price limit is $7,000.00
    2. The gun must preferably be a single barrel trap (SBT), as I have an O/U that can be used for doubles.
    3. The gun must be NEW. No exceptions, please.
    4. The gun must have an adjustable comb.
    5. For what it is worth, I don't care about fancy wood or engraving. I am most interested in durability and performance.

So, I would be most grateful on opinions as to the best gun on the market that meets these criteria, and why. Your thoughts and time are appreciated.

bluedsteel
  2. daddiooo

daddiooo Active Member

With all due respect to PerazziBigBore.... if you are going to spend that kind of money Kolar TS has everything you're looking for at a price under $7000. It's bullet proof and backed by THE BEST SERVICE available. I'm sure there are other opinions out the but here's mine for what it's worth.

Good luck with your search.

Dave
  3. spitter

spitter Active Member

If new, I'd jump on a Krieghoff KX-5. Nothing to complain about, Krieghoff reliability, completely adjustable out of the box...

Regards,

Jay
  4. Sportshot

Sportshot Member

Lucky man.... that is a good budget for a trap gun. No doubt in my mind, I'd buy the new Perazzi TM-9X in a New York heartbeat. The adjustible rib model. They advertise a picture of it every month in the USA Shooting magazine.... to die for!
  5. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

ljutic nuff said!
  6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Active Member

Ljutic!!!!!...plenty for sale here @ good prices all the time....chose from some nice wood, recoil abatement devices, rib heights, etc., and then shoot it forever....
  7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

Caesar Guerini top single or un-single fully adjustable and for less than $5000

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  8. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

sportshot;

The Perazzi TM9X models that I see are all well over $7000....most are very close to $9000...unless I am looking in the wrong place.

Also, the new Ljutics I see are all over $7000 as well...

bluedsteel
  9. Sportshot

Sportshot Member

10. JACK

JACK Active Member

To my good friend PBB. I find real coaching hard to find. I think he is better off finding excitement in a new gun and pounding HANDICAP targets. An email mentor of mine suggests 6-700 hcp practice targets a week. Not singles, but strictly handicap.
  11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Go with a Caesar Guerini or a Krieghoff K5. They are in your price range and both are very good guns. I have 3 CG's and would buy another one.
    Just ask Dr Longshot how he likes his.
  12. 635 G

635 G Active Member

A young lad, just won the Handicap Championship @ the NC State Shoot with an 870 Remington. The gun that works for you is the best. If you are getting older the gun you shot in your hey day may not be the gun you can use in your senior days.

Phil Berkowitz
  13. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

It is interesting to me that other than the Kolar, and it seems like those are often over $7000, that there is a "gap" in new SBT guns available in the 6-7000$ range. The KX5 and the Guerini Unsingles run closer to $5,000.

Dan, I will keep the TM9 in mind.

bluedsteel
  14. tj303

tj303 Member

If you haven't gotten instruction from a professional yet, do that first. If the best golfers in the world use coaches why not shooters? Oh, I know why, all male Americans are born with shooting fundamentals and talent, all they need is better gun and more ammo.
  15. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

Always the one considering practicality and resale value, I suggest a combo like the Beretta 687s that Joel Etchen sells or a 682 Gold E. They come in a well under your limit with money left over for an adjustable comb, better recoil pad, shells and a clinic or two. Then when you tire of the gun or find something you think you'll like better (you're a trapshooter, right?), the combo may be worth more and will probably sell faster than a single-barrel.

Higher-priced products experience a higher percentage of depreciation than ones that are priced in keeping with the common man's budget. A $7,000 SBT will depreciate more than a $4,500 combo, so it will cost you more to own it, both when you buy it and when you sell it.

Ed
  16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Bluedsteel.. again.. I'll say this.. Get a good coach.. maybe someone here can help.. It will make a big difference in what you buy... how you set it up.. and how you shoot.. Your style will dictate what you shoot the best.. not what someone suggests here.. Most all of the guns built and designed for trap are excellent.. Just.. suited for vastly different shooters.. Everyone is spouting off their dream gun.. yet not knowing you.. I don't know if a 32" would be better than a 35" barrel.. Do you shoot quickly or slower.. How old are you.. and what is your upper body strength?? Do you shoot a 9 pound 4 oz gun better than a 8 pound 6 oz. gun..?? Do you like hingepin balance or a gun slightly barrel light??? or barrel heavy?? Do you shoot a high rib better or worse than a low rib?? step rib??

Bluedsteel.. despite all the guns I own and shoot..I've never bought a new one.. Everything I thought I knew.. some was right.. and some was wrong..concerning the gun that would bring me to the top of my game.. Again.. my many thanks to MY coach.. Dr. Robert Miller.. He helped me thru the vast array of guns.. and shells.. and everything else. I could not have done it without him..

I'd fully suggest.. at the very least.. you shoot everything before you choose.. Good Luck... and if I can help you at the GRAND.. let me know.. All Good.. Mike
  17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

If the stock doesn't fit you, the best coach in the world can't help you an awful lot either! That applies to a shotgun costing a little or a bunch!! First things first I say. If you plan on spending 7 grand on a shotgun, set aside enough to have a stock properly fitted to you and you'll fare much better with your goal of better shooting!!! Whatever you do, don't climb on the brand wagon thinking it will magically break targets for you!! It can't!!

Hap
  18. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I too would say the Ljutic, but I don't think you can get a new one for $7K. Their website lists them for ~$7.5K and there may be a dealer that will sell it for $7K new, but I don't know of one.

If I had to have a new gun, I'd buy a Beretta 687 from Joel Etchen or a CG Summit Unsingle. Then I'd take a trip to Ohio and visit Dennis DeVault where I'd get private instruction and a stock that fit perfectly.
  19. Gil

Gil Member

Bluedsteel, I would vote for the Ljutic mono gun without a stock. Get a PFS and tune it to your style. No problems for the first 100,000 rounds or so and after that you can have it maintained every 100,000 or so. George Miller
  20. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

Get a Remington 90T for between 1500-2500- there isnt any work that would be needed that would cost more than 400 dollars to turn it into a new condition gun

regards from Iowa

Gene
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.