1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best sander for money for recoil pads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shoot em all, Aug 6, 2013.

1. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

My old combo sander motor bit the dirt this weekend and I wondered what sander people are using for recoil pads. I use the fixed mount fixture by miles gilbert (from midway). My old delta worked fine but motor was only 1/3 hp and probably not enough. Any suggestions for type and make and approx cost.
    This would be a homeowner type unit with very ocassional use. Thanks jim w.

2. mich746

mich746 Member

easy/cheap enough just to replace the motor, ebay has a bunch. Bump it up to a 1/2 hp, just keep the motor frame and shaft size the same.

3. burtona

burtona Member

I bought a suitable used motor on E-Bay for my old Craftsman combination sander a year or so ago. Don't remember the price but it was much cheaper than a motor repair or a new one.
    I found the cheap combination sanders from Harbor Freight didn't have nearly enough power for sanding pads to fit.

4. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Jim,

I have the 12" Disc sander from Harbor Freight. It has a 1.25 HP motor with all the accessories and tilting table with slot and everything. You can even hook up a shop vac to it to collect dust. This machine runs smooth and will do everything you need to do in putting pads on, or truing up stocks that you shortened. It has rubber feet to be used on a bench or make a stand for it. It's on sale often and I got mine a few years ago for 99.00 otherwise it's a bargain at regular price of 149.00 Good Luck, Duane

www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-direct-drive-bench-top-disc-sander-434

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A belt sander will run cooler and do a better job. Get either a fixed one or a portable with a stand. My old Craftsman 3" x 21" still does a great job.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

6. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Got mine from Grizzley tool.I can't kill it.

7. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

What's the best belt to grind Kick-EEZ? Thanks, Bob

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Harbor Freight is low-end. Snoop on your local CraigsList. You'll be amazed at some of the deals that pop up. I found a like-new Delta 12" disk sander for $90 and countless other deals on quality tools. Belt sanders are on CL all the time if you live near a medium-large city.

-Gary

9. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Took it apart today and problem was drive belt on motor. Replaced and back up running. Thanks for input and I did get this one on CL. I use a 120 grit belt for kick zee and go slow. jim w.

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Start with an 80 grit for Kickeez and finish with 120. Final finish with 220 wet by hand with a block.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I use a PORTER-CABLE 5-Amp Benchtop 8" sander. Works good. I got it from Lowes

12. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Can't beat a Grizzly for quality and service.

They offer over 20 different sanders....

http://www.grizzly.com/products/category/550001

SW

13. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The tooth belt on my craftsman blew and I noticed that the gears were about 3 times the width of the belt so I put one on that was twice the w of the old and and it rox!

14. Donavann

Donavann TS Member

Well You'll be impressed, by some of the offers that pop up. I found a like new pad 10" disk sander for $60 and plenty of other offers on top. Buckle sanders are on BL all the time if you stay near a large town.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  15. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

16. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I have a 6 x 36" beltsander that works great for grinding pads. I use a very rough cut, like 60 grit, then step down to 120. I don't go for the ultra shiny look. My preceded pad is a Gooey.

17. jhon Devid

jhon Devid TS Member

I also bought a this machine from E-Bay it runs good and there are no any problem in its use. I have a 6x36 it works good.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  18. jw oh

jw oh TS Supporters TS Supporters

As an retired tool & die maker; I am somewhat 'anal' about my work.

That being said, my choice was a Jet 6 x 48 w/o a disk. Cost was about $700.00, on sale a few years back.
    Excellent belt tracking, changing; plus by removing the top guard, you can use the belt radius to follow curves, etc.
    Like gently grinding a small radius around the periphery of the pad where it meets your shoulder pocket.
    That sander is part of the reason people have me work on their extremely 'high end' guns.
    They do not want to feel the wood to pad transition. (I do not make any money doing this). LOL

Grinding too fast/hard, generating heat, is where that 'sunk-in' look some "finished" pads have.
    The rougher (within reason), the belt used to rough-in a pad the less heat generated. Use caution; they will bite, knuckles too.
    Try to buy your new pad with the least amount of grinding necessary.
    Big fan of Kick-eez, you can grind those suckers to fit any shoulder pocket.

Tip: If you use 'regular' masking tape to protect the stock, apply a coat of paste wax first, keeps from lifting the stock finish
    when you pull it off.

Search tags for this page

belt sander for recoil pads

best sander for recoil pad
cheap sander for recoil pad
porter-cable 5-amp benchtop sander
recoil pad sander
what sander for recoil pads