1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best rifle?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gwayne23, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gwayne23

gwayne23 Member

Which rifle do you like the best?

Win. model 70

Rem model 700

Just wondering what people's thinking was about these two

Gary

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

all the latest Remingtons have an enlarged throat section to help keep pressures down. This ruins the pinpoint accuracy they where once noted for.

3. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Both are good rifles, standards of the industry.

Model 70 has the advantage of a simple trigger, which is dependable under extreme conditions. The controlled round feed is also an added plus for dependability.

The 700 has, I believe, the edge in accuracy (at least from my experience!) The push feed works well and the trigger is second to none for adjustability.

Tigman is right, too; don't discount the Savage. It may not be a beauty queen, but they all shoot great and are dependable.

Kiv

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The older guns will kick the butts of newer guns today. I like the older Finnbear Sako's, the older Brownings, Older Remingtons, or you can find a GOOD gunsmith and one made for your use.

5. toad67

toad67 Member

Either one would be fine , but I will take a Kimber!!!!

Todd

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have owned a lot of rifles and I never had one that will shoot as good as the Savage and they are reasonable. My 17 is unreal

7. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Controlled feed Model 70 Winchester is the best hands down preferably Pre-64 but not necessarily. Strongest receivers, best trigger, and plenty accurate---all of mine shoot well under an inch with Nosler Partitions. You can tune the trigger down to 2 1/2 pounds safely. I am speaking of hunting guns. Sako's are right there also.

Don't like the trigger design on the Remingtons. However for a bench gun they are very good.

This and 50 cents will get you a phone call but have hunted all my life! Phil In Colorado!

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I love my Remington 700's but for pure joy to carry on the hunt, I reach for my older Marlin 336 lever gun in .35 Remington with a Leupold 3x9 AO scope. For shots under 150 yards, the .35 Remington is my favorite cartridge. It shoots an under 2" group at 100 yards with factory Remington 200 grain Soft Point Core Lokt bullets and the first shot from a cold barrel dead center in the bulls eye.

If I were to buy a new all around deer rifle, it would be a Remington 700 VTR in .308 Winchester.

Ed Ward

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Have a 1952 standard grade 70. Ungainly stock, classic action, original steel Weaver K4. Shoots fine. No tack driver but hovers around one and a half moa. Had a newer one. Shot the same, stock was "modern" ugly. Both were in 30-06. Have had several 700s. One was an ADL in .222. Great shooter. Felt good. Good trigger out of the box. Sub moa. Had a 30-06 ADL. Shot better than either Winchester. Kept the '52 cause it is kind of collectable.

Now, I have a pair of Ruger 77s. Love the wood. Love the accuracy. Don't love the triggers. One is a .243, full size gun, sporter weight. Depending on how much I want to work at the reloading bench, it ranges from 3/4 moa to 1 1/2 moa. Other one is a "scout" rifle with laminated stock, sixteen inch barrel and a partial rib so you can mount a ler scope. I have a conventionally mounted scope on it. .308, one to one and a half moa. It is really fun with trail boss powder and a 165 grain cast bullet. I've used it in training younger people to shoot for deer season.

I'd like to have my old 70 stocked with a thinner profile, lighter stock but don't want to ruin the value.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Savage. More bang for the buck. Most consistently accurate out of the box rifle without going broke.

Remington has had too many problems with oversize throats (accuracy), bent barrels and bolt handles that fall off.

11. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

Winchester Model 70 with "Controlled Round" bolt.....new or old. I just built my newest rifle around the new Stainless Steel Model 70 action. Threw stock and barrel in the trash can.

12. twotimer

twotimer Member

Remington 700 with a Hart barrel that has been trued by Bob Hart. They also make a wildcat round called the 30 Hart. I believe it is a necked out 300 Weatherby, that is a very straight shooting round. Mike

13. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I like most rifles -- some better than others. I've owned and still own most of the rifles listed above. Again, I like them all -- some just better than others.

Having said that, I hunt with one of my Steyr rifles, which one depends on the game we're after. I truly appreciate the Steyr Professional models for the field; topped with a 1-5X Swarovski makes for quite a rig. I've used them for decades and they don't disappoint...good luck

Jack

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Since I have already shot ALL the Grizzley Bears and Elaphants that were left in Oregon, I use a push feed model 700 Remingtons. I have never seen a model 70 that would shoot less then 1 moa out of the box and I have owned a truck load of 700's that have.

If you are looking at new guns, the prices are so high you can buy used sako finnbears for about the same price and they are far superior to either a 70 Winchester or a remington 700.

A Savage could be the best gun in the world but life is too short to own guns that are so ugly. If ugly is your bag then buy a new Weatherby Vangaurd. I can buy them on sale around here for 359.00 and they will shoot under an inch. They guarantee they will shoot under 1 1/2 inches or they do not ship them. My neighbor bought a 270 a while back that shoots 1/2 inch groups with Nosler accubond handloads. Pretty good shooting for a 359.00 gun. Jeff

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

For all you guys who have had trouble with those charging Whitetails the model 70 while not being anywhere near as accurate as a 700 Remington will have a more postive feed/extraction rate. I always felt accuracy was most important while I was being charged by Grizzly bears, rhinos and Elephants here in oregon but that is just my personal opinion. Jeff

16. gwayne23

gwayne23 Member

Thanks guys for all the imput!

Happy Holidays!!!!

Gary

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm a Model 70 man in bolt actions...but my preference will always be a Marlin lever gun of some type...I love my 308MX..fast, powerful and as accurate as 90% of the bolt guns out there..if I was being charged by a bear,..gimme a 1895 45-70 loaded with Buffalo bore heavy +P..it will take any bear and turn him into a nice rug

18. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I may have forgotten to mention that my real favorite rifle is my middle aged 99 Savage (surprise) in .308 Win. Cool features like a window that tells me how many shots I have left (never needed to know), a monte carlo stock that prevents me from using the iron sights should the scope in a low swing mount ever go bad, and a tang safety that is hard to use if the scope is in the down position.

I still like it, however, and it shoots as well as my model 70. Fun with cast bullets, seems to like 150 and lighter jacketed bullets.

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Go to some of the "F" class NRA shoots. For factory guns, just about all you will see are Savages. And they are not ugly at all. Deadly accurate.

20. whopper1

whopper1 Member

It depends-will you be shooting 71/2's or 8's ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.