1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best riding mower under $ 2000.00

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blizzard, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

If it were me I would look for a used John Deere 200 or 300 series. A used one of these in good condition is a waaaaaaaaay better purchase than a new one from a box store. These are real garden tractors, not the tin garbage you get from a big box.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have the Cub Cadet, about 8 years now. I just sent it to the shop for it's annual, cost $140.00 which included pick up and delivery. It works and runs perfect. I did replace the front tires last year with no-flat-ever tires. They are great, but a little expensive. I've also replaced the battery and belt one time. I paid about $1750 for the unit, which is a 48" two blade.

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I purchased a Home Depot John Deere back in spring 01. I wasn't too impressed with it at first, but looking back I've had it 12 years and I mow around 2.5 acres with it. I got the 42" cut so I could put it in the back of my pickup. I'm on my 3rd battery, 2nd set of blades, and 2nd mower belt. I guess all in all it has been a good mower. It has a 17.5 hp sticker on the motor, which turned out to be a 16hp Kohler motor. It is somewhat underpowered.

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I bought a John Deere LA 140 6 years ago and it's been great. Cost me $2200 then and it's far superior to the store brands. I mow about 3 acres of grass with it every week.

Ron Burr

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I second the idea of looking for a used John Deere.

I have one that's over 30 years old - will kick the @r*p out of the Big Box versions. Real transmission - not hydraulic drive (can you say 'inefficient?'). I forget if it is 48" or 52", but it knocked about a third off the cut time compared to the old 'Big Box' machine I got rid of.

6. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

IF You Buy"GREEN & YELLOW" you are a SMART Fellow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JMO Joe joe90t

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

As said before a good used John Deere would be the way to go

My wife mows all of our lawns and she drives a John Deere, but it is a little over your price range, it's a 4720MFWD 66 hp /ac cab cd player the whole shooting match, a new one runs about $50G though

But I also have a 110 that my Dad bought in 1963 that we still use for the tight spots

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Those old 110 mowers were awesome. I used one for over 20 years and the guy who bought it still uses it

9. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

If you buy 4 goats, no riding, no gas & and no paddies to walk thru. Worked for my Dad for years.

10. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

You can get a 42" Craftsman with a Briggs & Stratton engine at Sears for $999- 1199. Mow with it for 3 or 4 years, keep it clean, park it at the end of your driveway for $400-600 and start the cycle over again. This way, you can have a new or fairly new mower for $200/year. My Wife's mower will be for sale in a few months, but I'll still be using my old 48"Husky. Larry

11. C-Money

C-Money Member

I have been running a Craftsman LT 1200 for 5 or 6 years now. I mow an acre, once a week. Briggs motor leaks a bit of oil, but runs good. I paid easily under $2000.

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Cut two yards to one with a zero turn. Pricey? Yes but what is your time worth?Jeff

13. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

bigbore613

Your right the zero turn mowers will run circles around any of the riding mowers of the same size, and the Exmark just keeps going, but I have never seen one under 2K. Maybe used??

14. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Do a web search on Swisher Zero Turn mowers. They asre made in Missouri, have a Briggs and Stratton motor, and run like the Energizer Bunny. But, if you can find a John Deere...buy it. Martinpicker

15. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

You need to have a very flat, as in not bumpy lawn for zero turns or the cut quality suffers. This is why I never went that route personally.

16. john ellis

john ellis Member

I have a sears Craftman--24hp--B&S two cyl--42" cut--has been great--paid $1499. great mower-good luck-John

17. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

IMHO, Quality-wise, there really isn't much out there for under $ two grand!

I mow just over 2.5 acres, with lots of trees,landscaping, gopher mounds, etc. When I first moved here, I bought one of those "Toro Time Cutter Z" zero turn mowers (48") and just about reduced it to junk in two seasons!

I traded up to a "Gravely 260Z" (60" cut with 24 horse Kawasaki engine). Other than oil and filter changes, I haven't done anything other than mow with it for going on 7 years! The thing is nearly indestructable and mows at bat-out-of-hell speeds. Blizzard is right, though; they are awful on rough ground and tear up the turf something fierce when mowing around trees!

Rather than spend $2K on something that won't last, bite the bullet and borrow money if you have to and get something that will last.

Look around and you may find a good use JD tractor like I did. The pics attached are of a 1996 JD 445 (22 horse Kawasaki and only 500 hours total on it!) that I bought last summer for $3200. Now my wife can help mow, leaving me more time for shooting. Be patient and look around - they are out there!

Kiv
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. avery53

avery53 Member

I'm still running my 1969 Bolens 1220, I mow about an acre. Sure don't build them like this any more.

19. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Under 2K - SEARS, get the extended warranty and they come to your house to do repairs.

Your JD mowers are good but service on them is at the dealer not at your home.

20. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Running my 1989 28 hp diesel excel hustler 72 inch front deck zero turn. Bought it in 1993 as military surplus. When I got done with refurbing it I had 6500 bucks in it. Figure that up per year. I mow 4-5 acres a week. Buy something good and run it for a long time. I used to take 6 hours plus to mow with a JD 48 inch riding mower. 2 hours tops now. My weed eater is called round up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best riding mower under 2 ooo

best riding mower under 2000