1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Retirement Places for a Trap Shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shoobedoo, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

For year round shooting Florida and Arizona would have to top the list IMO, but keep in mind that daytime temps during the summer in Arizona get scorching hot, and will limit most peoples shooting to early in the AM or after the sun has set. South Texas would probably be a good choice as well. All three of those states are also good retirement choices in general, not just for trap shooting.

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Another advantage to South Texas is that you are about mid-way between Florida and Arizona. Ron

3. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

How in the hell can you afford to retire with that high dollars stuff. I'm going to talk to Obamma about this and see if I can get some vouchers for shooten trap in Ariezonie.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

El Dorado County, California. Gold Country. ATA and PITA affiliated clubs are close by, and the Tahoe area and Sage Hill are close by, as is the interior of Nevada and smaller clubs therein. 200 miles or so to Kingsburg for the State Shoot. Pick your locale wisely, and you will avoid snow, but still be close to lakes and fishing and hunting. Many properties in the area are for sale reasonably and are beautiful due to short sales, foreclosers, the economy, etc.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

When I lived in Texas,..the heat was not so bad as I'm pretty cold-blooded...if you go there though research because where I was,, to shoot registered...you're gonna wear a vehicle out fast...I learned the hard way what "Down the road a piece" means ...no less than 300miles!!

6. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I asked a similar question about a year ago and decided that the best choice for me is to stay in Illinois. It's familiar, family is here, and there are several NICE clubs within 45 minutes of my home. South of I80, Illinois is very gun friendly and Sparta is only about 5 hours away. There are also many excellent shooting venues in Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio - all a short drive from home - with other attractions.

Larry

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

We decided to stay on the Gulf Coast (HOT?HUMID summers) and spend the summers in the upper Midwest (Michigan, Ohio, New York). Maybe Colorado. Seems one can rent some pretty nice condos for 15-2K a month, furnished with everything including maid service. Think before you move to one of those hot-assed places, we didn't.

8. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I have the best of both worlds.

Summer from May to Dec in Barrie, Ontario. Cottage country . Shoot 3 times a week.

Winter in Florida. Shoot a tournament somewhere every weekend.

9. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Tucson

jim brown

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Florida, Arizona is way over crowded plus you got the Illegals from Mexico all over the place and Muslims in the donut joints, driving cabs and all of the 7/11's smell like Camel dung ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

South Central PA has many advantages as a trapshooter's retirement destination. Adams County, Gettysburg area, for instance, has dozens of trap clubs within 20 miles. It's a reasonable drive to Elysburg and Thurmont on good highways. There is no tax on clothing or food and retirement income is not taxed. We have some snow, but the winters are relatively mild, and the summers can have some hot spells, but not oppressive. We shoot year round with leagues at most clubs and practice sessions every day of the week at one club or another. The clubs are member run and target prices low ~$4 or less per round. Shooting supplies are reasonably close from three major big suppliers, (CAC, Shyda's, and Pat Geiser) Deer, Turkey and upland game hunting on state game lands offer many opportunities with long seasons and Sr. lifetime hunting & fishing licenses available. Also, we have 5yr, no B.S. must issue carry permits. Oh, yeah, there's a Cabela's at Hamburg....grin

best....mike

12. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

How about Las Vegas in the Winter? How is the new club to trailer up in?

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Above ground!!!!

Don

14. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

You dont want Florida, it sucks! I hear Arizona is nice.

EdH

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

16. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

The last time that this was asked, I recommended Western NY near Rochester. We have literally DOZENS of places to shoot trap within 60 minutes or so of where I live. The winters are 'invigorating', but we shoot and the clubhouses are full all year long.

Chris

17. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Conditions are just awful up here in northern Arizona, I suggest somewhere else. Joe

18. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I am from So. Cal. and would live there for the weather, if I could afford it. But, Chango has it right. I live in El Dorado Co. Just spent a great morning shooting Skeet and Trap in Lincoln, CA. They also have Sporting Clays and Bunker Trap. Reno, Livermore, Redding, Stockton, Placerville, all within a short drive. No floods, no BAD storms, fairly reasonalbe cost of living and even if CA gun laws offend some, they are manageable. Hell, I might even have a home to sell.

JON

19. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Yeah, like Fla_native says, Florida s---s. No income tax, no snow and no snow blowers (actually I've never even seen one on TV), gun-friendly, CCW permits last 7 years, and TampaBay is especially lousy. You know, it never, ever hits the 100 degree mark. We sure can't compete with summer in the mid-west with such low temps.

The Silver Dollar is open from 9-5 seven days a week from November 1st to the end of April, then five days a week through the summer.

And summers at the Dollar are really bad-a 50 bird derby on Wednesdays, a Big 50 on Thursdays, no one around on Fridays, so you can practice singles, caps or doubles with your buds all day, never waiting for another squad to finish, and Saturday and Sundays they have registered Singles, Caps and, if wanted, Doubles.

Robinson Ranch is just over an hour away and they have several nice shoots and, in the summer, when you shoot singles there, they have big, old umbrellas to cover you and make it cooler. Horrible! You almost need one of them parka thingys.

Winters are the worst. Fairly large shoots at the Dollar all through the stinking winter-only three Sundays off from Shoots if I recall correctly. Two Satellite Grands. The Florida State Shoot. The PVA Shoot, the Beretta Shoot. The Chain Shoot, and more.

And, the dress code is usually shorts and T-shirts. Oh, the humanity!

Yep, Florida sure s---s!

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Oh the humidity!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best cities for shooters

best place ofr trap shooters to retire

best trap shooting venues