1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best results for stock painting-rattle cans?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The time has come again to repaint my 1100 stock. I haven't shot it in a year or so, and since going to a PFS late last year on my dedicated skeet gun, my dimensions have changed drastically (most drastically, offset, of which I have close to 1/2" on my PFS), so i had to do some grinding on the 1100 stock to match dimensions as best as I can so I can use the 1100 for trap and sporting clays this winter. I'd like to do a black base w/ white stripes (using torn masking tape for the stripes) and possibly some paint masks. All the painting i've done in the past w/ rattle cans has gotten somewhat soft over time (this last one I was able to scrape the paint off the sharp corners w/ my finger nail). Is there any specific brand i should use for better results, or a different technique? Since I don't shoot the 1100 much anymore, this paint job will have to last for awhile.

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

some auto parts supply shops will custom mix high quality automotive enamel or laquer and put it in a spray can for you...you should look into that...

3. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

What is this "offset" to which you refer?

Is it the same as castoff/on??

Paint you can scrape off with a fingernail is soft because it was applied over an improper base. Try using the correct primer first.

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I have painted several bechrest stocks using a base of PPG Ditzler epoxy primer and then PPG catalyzed acrylic enamel...turned out good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.