1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best reloads...........

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brad99g, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brad99g

brad99g Member

anyone got any suggestions on the best way to duplicate STS factory loads?

2. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Currently with the sale at BPS $6.49 a box and the $2 per box rebate. At $4.49 a box the best way to duplicate a load is to buy more boxes. I'm not sure if it is even worth saving $0.30 a box to reload.

3. team henges

team henges TS Member

I reload a sts hull with a remington primer, I use 19.3 grains of Winchester wst and a Remington figure 8 wad and 1 1/8 oz of shot. It is right at 1200 fps and just a little heavier than the factory sts but I really like it, I use it to shoot singles, doubles, and handicaps

Brendan

4. brad99g

brad99g Member

Im shooting STS/nitro hulls, Win 209 primers, 18.6 700x, Windjammer wads. They are a little over 1200 FPS but are shoulder rockers. Im thinking of changing powder maybe going to clays. Any advice

5. porky

porky TS Member

I recommend Down range wads to anyone trying to duplicate Remington loads. Their clone fig8 and tgt12 wads are better than the factory wads and produce less recoil than other wads if you stick to specs.

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Go to Hodgdon's site, and select TITEGROUP powder and Remington components.

Change your shot charge, and there you have: light, regular and boomers.

Bob

7. brad99g

brad99g Member

anyone shoot longshot????

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>anyone shoot longshot????</i>

Not for 12 gauge trap loads. I use it for 12 gauge hunting loads (1-1/4 ounce at 1350 fps.)

Some folks also like it for smaller gauge reloads.

I would not recommend Hodgdon Clays for 1-1/8 ounce 1200 fps. Pressure is too high.

Titegroup is a great powder for what you are trying to do. I use it for my 1-1/8 ounce 1200 fps reloads.

But truth be told, if you are truly wanting 1-1/8 ounce 1200 fps, the kind of powder you use won't change the recoil. And the kind of wad you use won't change recoil either. Regardless of what the guys at the club tell you.

But Downrange is my personal favorite for wads.

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

This may be of some help:<blockquote>This is an email response from Alliant in regard to STS loads:

<I>My name is Paul Furrier and I am the Technical Manager at Alliant Powder in Radford, Virginia. I am also in charge of sales and marketing of our smokeless powders to the OEM ammunition manufacturers, so Remington is my account. I saw your post on TS.com and thought I would send you a message, since I know exactly what Remington uses in their target loads. The powder Remington uses in their 12ga STS 1-1/8oz 2-3/4DE and 3DE loads is a proprietary powder we produce for them, and it contains green ID flakes. (In some lighting the flakes may look blue, but they are green). It is certainly not Green Dot(R). In terms of burn speed, the STS powder is virtually the same as Red Dot(R) and e3(R), but it is not either one. Energy wise, it is about halfway between the two, hence the charge weights slightly higher than e3, but lower than Red Dot.

You can duplicate the performance of the STS shells with handloads quite nicely with our American made powders e3 and Red Dot. For e3, 16.5gr makes the light load (2-3/4DE), and just shy of 17.5 duplicates the light handicap (3DE) beautifully. The Red Dot loads are: 18.0gr and 19.0gr for the 2-3/4DE and 3DE loads respectively. You can verify the load data I have shown in our interactive reloaders guide, at www.alliantpowder.com Good luck with your loads. We would very much appreciate it if you use our powder. Please call us anytime at 800/276-9337 if you have any questions. All I ask is that you don't put my e-mail address on the web. Thanks."</i></blockquote>

MK

10. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

It would be hard to beat Paul Furrier post from Alliant. However if you care to know what I am using to load STS lights here it is.

STS hull, STS primer, 16.5gr green dot and windjammer for singles, 17.5gr green dot and TGT12S wad for 18-23 yards. 19gr green dot and versalite wad from 23-porch. They work well and they are soft shooting. Good Luck.

J.F.

11. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

18 grains of Promo

Rio Primer

Blue Duster or Green Duster wad

STS hull

Received this valuable info in a dream. This combo is truly a gift from the gods that I would like to share with you all!!!

Use for both 1-1/8 and 1 oz loads.

12. shark1

shark1 Member

Try to find Lyman's 4th EDITION SHOTSHELL RELOADING. The company put an (*) next to the loads they found to be most uniformly ballistic. The 5th edition does not have the same listings. Mike Sharkey, DC

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Interesting post from Paul. Thanks.

I use STS hull with 18.5 gr. Red Dot, Win. 209 primer, Fig. 8 wad, and 1 1/8oz. of 8 1/2 shot for 16yds. Smokes targets. Warning! It does have some kick, but I think all 3dr./eq. loads will be about the same. This may be heavy for 16 yds., but it is very rare to see dust come off a target and not break.

14. jburger

jburger TS Member

I've loaded the STS's with red dot (#31 bushing MEC 17.9 grain's) with 1 oz of shot and it'll crush targets from the 16-27 no problems. Oh yeah also using a claybuster wad with remington primers.

Good Luck,
    Jeremy

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

There are tons of good combintions available but one of my favorites for the 3 dram type 1 1/8 Oz load is 20g Green Dot in an STS/GC hull under a Figure 8 wad (Rem or DR clone) and the Remington primer in the summer, Winchester in the winter. Performance with this load is indistinguishable from a factory STS 3 dram load.

If you want to build a Nitro 27 clone use 18g TiteGroup, the TGT 12 Wad, 1 1/8 Oz shot and a Reminton primer. The thing about TiteGroup that I don't like is that it is very dense and you can't necessarily tell that you are getting a consistent powder charge just by looking at the crimps on the finished shell. The bulkier powders like Green Dot provide obvious clues about over/under charges.

16. team henges

team henges TS Member

I think winchester super target (wst) is the best powder to use to duplicate a sts. and the downrange wads are better than factory and claybusters because they leave less plastic in the barrel than claybusters and take more energy than factories

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best green dot reload recipe for trapshooting
best loads for trapshooting

best powder for trap shooting reloads forums

best reload for trap
best reloads for trap

best trap reloads