1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best reloading scale

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dsid01, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsid01

dsid01 TS Member

I am looking for a new scale and wanted to know what is the best one for the money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dustin

2. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

I have an RCBS digital scale that is made by PACT, I believe. It's lasted me many years and is very accurate. If something goes wrong PACT will fix it for the cost of shipping. I've used the balance beam scales but this seems to be faster and more accurate. Just my opinion, good luck. Michael

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've been using a Electronic Dillon for years. Never had a problem.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have three.

The RCBS Chargemaster 1500 is the best - especially if you load for rifle too.

If your only load shotshells and only want to verify powder drops almost any cheap scale will do the job. Lots of used one on Ebay. Always check with a known weight to insure it is reading right.

Don

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Dillon here, had one loose one of the elements, called them, and a new one was on the doorstep the same day the defective one went to the USPS. Great customer handling. I have a practically new PACT that I don't like as well and it sits in a drawer....Bob Dodd

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The cheapest beam balance you can find for weighing powder. However, they aren't too good for weighing shot unless you spend some real money to get one with some decent capacity. The digitals will do it all and are much faster. The best one of those out there is the PACT at around $115. Their website is a little clobbered right now, but I believe you can find out what you need there.

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I've got one PACT, one pocket scale marketed by Frankford Arsenal and 2 RCBS beam balances (02 and 05 models). The $30 Frankford is every bit as accurate as the $130 PACT and is faulted only for its very short auto-off wait time.

The beams as a bit slower to read but are ultimately just as accurate, are much easier to calibrate and not subject to all the maladies that can beset electronic gizmos.

I own a digital scale because I can. A beam balance is all that's needed for shotgun reloading.

Morgan

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use a 10-10 balance beam scale (for 25 years) but would go to digital if I ever wanted another new toy.

HM

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have had a Dillon Electronic D-Terminator for years. I load precision rifle ammo, which requires obsessive-compulsive weighing of brass. There is no telling how many thousands of hulls have been weighed on this scale, along with powder and shot weighing chores for shotshells.

I use Mec factory shot bars and powder bushings, so I weigh powders when I get a keg with a different lot #.

In the last two months, I have weighed over 8000 223 hulls for a precision rifle project, which calls for hits to 400+ yards with this caliber. (Prairie poodle shoot out west) Having several 50 cal. ammo cans with brass segregated in 1/2 grain batches is the cheap way to do it.

The Dillon Digital scale has made a project like this possible, even practical.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have used a PACT scale for many years and have had no problems. It was my understanding that PACT makes, or made the Dillon scale.

Pat Ireland

11. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I've used a LEE and found it to be the best buy and the most sensitive of the balance-beam type scales.

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a RCBS 10-10, the best in industry, complete with with case , instruction manualbox and everything else except a comapartive weight piece. This is a highly precision piece of equipment. If you are intertested contact me at dpro@insightbb.com/html

Drop the /HTML

13. qshot

qshot TS Member

RCBS rangemaster 750 good price good scale. Charlie

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I've got a O'haus triple balance beam. Absolutely the best scale I have ever used. But they are very slow compared to the digitals that is for sure. I traded something I did'nt even use anymore for the scale. If I had to buy one today, I would go digital. Break-em all. Jeff

15. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

Sarge---Fred, check out the Acculab Vicon VIC-123 at scaleman.com. It will look familiar to you but for around $220. I bought one of these a few months ago and it is very nice. It measures to .02 grains, large well lit numbers, runs on 110ac, bubble level with leveling feet, etc.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you have a friend in law enforcement, it might be possible to get an excellent scale at a very low cost. Our local Sheriff has told me several times that the better drug dealers prefer PACT scales.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best reloading scales