1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best reloader to buy?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yendor12, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yendor12

yendor12 Member

Looking to buy a good reloader. My wife and I shoot 15k - 18k rounds per year.
    I am looking into the Spolar. Any input from Spolar owners or other types of reloader owners are welcome.
    Would appreciate good comments positive or negative on any that you like or dis-like.
    Thanks
    Rod

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

This question comes up every few weeks. The simple answer is that if you can afford it, buy the Spolar. All the owners will tell you the same, not one person on here has ever disliked theirs. All the other loaders have drawbacks one way or another and some dislike.

3. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Spolar.............hands down

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

As mentioned above, if the money does not concern you, Spolar is without question the way to go. I just cranked out 2000 reloads in the last two days without a hitch.

I have used Mec, and it is a fine machine. I had P/W 800+ and it was a fine machine. Used electric and hydraulic on them. I never approached 2000 reloads without a primer issue or some other thing that required tweaking and tuning on any other machine other than a Spolar.

But in the final analysis, Spolar is like going from a Yugo to a Lexus. Just have to appreciate the precision that went into it.

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

If you can afford the Spolar get it. It will be my next reloader. I have a MEC 9000GN and a PW800+. Both very good reloader.

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Spolar, Spolar, Spolar!!

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

A friend of mine has a Spolar with all the bells & whistles (which I believe is merely standard anyway). I've watched him use it and was truly impressed. If my wife decides to shoot more and travel with me, then I'll buy one.

Curt

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

The best part is if you ever get out of reloading you will sell the Spolar very quickly and for about 70% or more than what you paid for it. So you have the pleasure and satisfaction of having the very best with a machine that losses little value. Payback is much faster than most realize.

I have owned everything but the Hornady 366 and RCBS Grand. For production loading, the Spolar is the most reliable. The PW 800+ with case feeder is the fastest machine I have ever used but it is not as reliable or trouble free as the Spolar - at least in my limited experience.

Don Verna

9. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have owned most of them, loved the Dillon, detested the MECs (still have two-41 & 28- of the things), but, hands down, the Spolar is the easiest, quickest way to reload.

I've never been able to get the MECs to go more than a few hundred rounds before SOMETHING gets out of whack.

The Dillon is, I think, the fastest, but you gotta pull the handle.

The Spolar, with Hydraulics, is said to put out a shell every 3 1/2 seconds. I don't know if I load that fast or not, but it takes just a few minutes to load a flat.

Bob

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Spolar has their issues, just like every other reloader. Like droping shot when their is no shell in the position. Cocked primers that jam the system up. No auto hull feeder. Long throws of the handle. That's not to say it's not very good, but it's costly and as I said has known issues.

I on the other hand I have Dillon (two), which has it's own issues, but none of the above. I also can load faster than I can keep componets in the unit. Cost less than the Spolar. Free parts for life. About $800 less.

You make the choice.

11. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Bought a used MEC Grabber with the hydraulic pump for $250.00 and have been very happy with it. I wanted a Spolar but could not fit it in to my budget, FWIW. JM

12. oleolliedawg

Forgetting to put a hull in a loader is a brain fart and not a fault of the reloader. Biggest primer feeding issue with a Spolar is forgetting to fill the tray. I've never used an auto-feeder on any of my PW's so I'm unable to comment. Since I own two Spolars (one Hydro and one with handle only) and I find I'm using the handled machine more, I'm confused!!

13. shot410ga

APrice: "Dropping shot when there is no shell in place to accept it can hardly be called a shortcoming of the machine." Why not?

14. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I own a 800+ with auto drive and case feeder. I have never had an issue that wasn't operator error. I clean lube and service mine quite often for something to do more than it needs it. I am one happy customer and considering all things including cost I would not own anything else.

15. shark1

shark1 Member

I took the advice of many shooters and skipped the in between reloaders. I purchased a Spolar and will be selling my Mecs. I have not gotten my Spolar yet, and it does take over 6 weeks to get one. My wife wants to shot and I have two young boys. You make the call? Mike Sharkey, DC

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I can't manage to advance beyond my second hand 366's but I do have a friend that has a hydraulic operated Spolar and it a magnificent machine to say the least. I hope to buy it from him some day.

If you want the best and are willing to py for it, I can't think of a better choice. The spolar will certainly keep you supplied with quality ammo without much effort.

17. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

No-drop feature entirely useless? Do you always leave partially filled hulls in the machine? I usually load in batches of 100 on my Dillon. When the hull drop tube is full, and I have seven primers left in the tray, I shut off the hull feeder and continue to load. When the last hull is past the prime/powder station, the next stroke doesn't spill powder all over the place because there is no hull to actuate the powder drop. When it passes the wad-seat/shot drop station, the next stroke does not spill shot all over the place, because there is no hull present to actuate the shot drop. Two more strokes and I'm done with an empty machine.

I've never used a Spolar but I have watched Dixie and Carter work one at the SW Grand. I did not see any advantages that would make me ready to spend double the money. It is not any faster than a Dillon. I prefer adjustable charge bars for shot and powder rather than bushings as the Spolar has. I've never had to pay for a part or service from Dillon. If what I read is true, the same cannot be said of Spolar. I've never had issues with using different primers. If what I read is true Spolar has issues with Remington primers. My main problem with a Dillon is keeping it fed. Right now I'm out of shot. Before that it was hulls, then powder, then wads. When one can load hundreds of shells an hour with no problems, components tend to be used rapidly.

18. oleolliedawg

Joe, I think what APrice really means is a Spolar has neither brains nor eyes. To blame a machine for human frailty may not be quite fair to the machine.

That said, I believe I've run out of primers pretty often-damn machine!!

19. shot410ga

APrice: Say BOZO, do you sleep with your Spolar? I have reloaded on just about every machine on the market at one time or another, including Spolar. And franky I thing no auto shutoff at the powder and shot stations is out dated, as is the lack of adjustable powder and shot drops. You paid to much and now you have to justify your purchase-----Oh well! Sleep with it.

20. biggunone

biggunone Member

I own a p/w 800+ so far i used it for 6 months with out a hitch. My friend owns a mec 9000 which is ok, but it looks like a toy compared to the 800+ but it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap forums who makes the best primer for reloads