1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Reloader for .410 shells?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RoadKingPerazzi, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

What is the best brand of reloader for the .410? I have had trouble (pain in the A$$) with progressive MECs and the .410.

2. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Get A Spolar!

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

Spolar is probably the best.

I load on a PW 800+. It works very well, but there were a few simple mods I did to help it out. It is a little slower than load 20 gauge or 12 gauge - but not much. it is not tolerant of messed up hulls.

john

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I have a MEC hydraulic Grabber in 410 that works well. The MEC9000 would occasionally tip the shells and spill shot when it rotated. Advancing the shell plate by hand solves the problem for me and is still much faster than a single stage.

5. fly

fly Active Member

3 things that make your MEC 9000 G or H run great with the 410. don't use old STS hulls, use 3 reloads or less. Double clamp on the priming station tube, and a Smooth Operator kit that I once sold, or a current model from MEC which has it already built in.
    I said 3, but also using Little gun over H110 or 296 works better. (no leakage)

6. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

I use a 9000HN with very little problems. Still using the Win. CF silver lettered hulls with Win. white wad. The best loader that I have seen in use, loading 410, is a Spolar.

7. blooch

blooch Member

Depends on which hull you are loading......I have no complaints about a Mec 9000 or a Hornady 366. I once thought that a PW in 900 or one of the 800's was the be all end all for the 410. They are great as long as the hulls are pretty new, but they do not respond well to the aging or multiple uses of any hull. My current favorite for the least PIA is the Hornady 366.

8. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I use a Mec 9000G. It took a while to get used to the fact that you can't work quite as fast as you can with the larger gauges. I get as many as ten reloads with STS hulls. I will be changing to AAHS hulls because the plastic is of higher quality. Neil

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I am going to make a comment some people wont agree with

I have had a lot of PWs and generally dont like them- with this one exception

A PW with full length dies- as long as you are just going to use it for 410 and not convert it to another gauge is the best 410 loader around- better than a spolar

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Lots of advice and nobody knows what sort of volume of .410 you are shooting. So how many 410s per week are you going thru?

11. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

fly - what do you mean by this?: Double clamp on the priming station tube

12. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

mrskeet410:

I do not shot any .410s at present. I sold all my tube guns and .410s except a Browning Midas 3 bbl set. Am going to buy a tubed gun, so am preparing to reload.

I have owned the following .410 presses: 600 Jr., 650, and grabber. Hated loading the .410 with all of them.

I now used 9000H in 12 ga and 20 ga and love them.

I have a couple of new cases (not flats) of old style AA hulls - 15 years old - I'll probably shoot them up then start reloading.

13. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I like the Hornady 366. I tried a MEC progressive and found it very frustrating with constant spilled shot. The spilled shot came from either the wobble of the hulls or bridging of the shot in the drop tube, sometimes both at once. I sold it and bought a used 366. It came with a thicker shell plate that reduced the wobble and it loads very smoothly.

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

My Spolar does very well with 410. If I were to recommend a Mec it would have to be tricked out. I would add a Universal charge bar and Powder Baffle. Those two products made the MEC 110% better reloader. More consistant drops.
    Dave T.

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

RoadKingPerazzi - You'll probably hate loading 410s on anything. It's easy to hate loading the 410. Unless 410 loading is a hobby, it won't be enjoyable. You might like a Spolar, but that probably doesn't make economic sense. But if you get the Spolar, you can sit in the clubhouse annoying everybody by blabbering how your 410 reloads are better than factory loads.

Get a 3/4 ounce bar for your 20 gauge loader, and use those for fun and practice. Buy new .410 when needed (registered) or when scores count. If you think premium ammo is "better", shoot AAs and sell the empties. Otherwise buy Estate/Federal/Eurotrash and dump the empties.

Me? I use a 650 in semi-auto mode. It's a little slower, but less hassle. Less hassle trumps speed. When you try for speed in the 410 you end up hating to load 410. No, I don't recommend a 650. I'd rather have a Grabber, but I don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Semi-auto mode for the 650 or Grabber is the key.

16. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I am with Gene on this. I have an old 3-4 digit serial number PW 800B with the full length dies. It works perfect. The only issue I have is me. I try to get one more reload out of a hull that the crimp is wore out.
    Hope this helps,
    Todd

17. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

Thanks everyone. Good advice all. I like good equipment, but cannot rationize a Spolar. I wouldn't want to pull the handle, so it would have to be hydraulic. For spending that much money, I could shoot factory until I'm ninety years old given how little I will shoot the .410.

18. staynumz

staynumz Member

LOL @ Mrskeet

19. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

This one works for me. P/W 800 Plus with Auto-Drive.

Jim Skeel P/W Dealer/Dist

skeeljc_2008_030320.jpg

20. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I had a Mec 650 & a PW single stage, neither worked well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
are spolar reloaders good for 410shells

best loader for 410

best reloader for 410
best reloader for 410 ga
best reloader for 410 ga using 296
best skeet shot shell reloader
good single stage loader for 410