1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Reload for Remington 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rick Young WY, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Young WY

Rick Young WY TS Member

I am just starting to reload. I am looking for a good soft load for my Remington 1100 Trap 12 gauge with 30 inch barrel. I have a Lee loader not anything fast like a progressive. Hope that comes later. I have a bunch of AA hulls. A guy here in town makes shot, sells downrange wads and primers. I am looking for your experiences on the best hand load for my particular shotgun if there is such a thing. I am 62 and want to shoot tell im 100 so I want soft. Thank you in advance for your help.

Rick Young WY

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

For the softest you can go to 7/8 Oz. loads from any of a number of loading info manuals available both on line and in print from the powder manufacturers. Keep the velocity under 1200 and that will be about the softest load you can throw. One thing to keep in mind is that with a gas operated semi action you must have enough gas to reliably work the action. Sometimes that takes a bit of try a load and see what it does.

A little harder hitting, but still fairly soft, is a one ounce load again under 1200 FPS. Again look in the manuals for safe reliable info.

One thing that I did NOT see you mention is having a good quality powder scale. That is an absolute MUST HAVE ITEM for safe reloading. Relying on only the powder bushing listed in the manual that came with the press or the loading manuals is NOT good enough. Powder lot density. even in the same named powder, can vary significantly.

Whatever load you try, follow the manual components exactly. Since you are just beginning and do not have experience or acquired knowledge to guide you, deviating from the listed manual info can, and often does, change pressures enough to take a safe load (with the components listed) into the unsafe region.

Here are some links to powder manufacturer info:

Alliant Powders

Accurate Powders

Ramshot Powder

IMR, Winchester and Hodgdon

Good luck and be careful out there!

3. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

pyrdek.

BEST advice for a reloader of anything I've ever seen. Thank you for keeping the basics first,,,the way it has to be.

Matt Nicol

4. revbook

revbook Member

I agree Pyrdek, very well presented and I am sure the OP will find it useful.

Don in PA

5. Robb

Robb Member

When I shot mine alot I wanted 1200 fps at a low pressure. My thinking was the lower the pressure the longer the gun would last with the same speed. Why beat up the gun for the same result? I settled on PB.

6. Rick Young WY

Rick Young WY TS Member

Thanks to you all for your advise. I will for sure get a scale. I had no idea i need one. I will follow the manual to the letter. Great Help and Thanks again.

Rick Young WY

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I use 16.4 of 700X with an Claybuster AA clone of a Winchester 7/8 ounce wad. It cycles all 4 of my 1100's every time and of course is very soft shooting. I have not yet tried it in my 1187 premier though. I use #8 1/2 size shot and with a fixed full choke, it will smack targets pretty good.

8. maka

maka Member

It cost more than other brands but,you might want to try Hodgen Clays powder. There are many low pressure loads in there manual and it will keep your auto very clean. Powder residue in auto's if not removed regularly usually causes problems. Good luck.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Maka, makes a very good point. Do use clean powders unless you really love to clean your gun often. Since recoil is based mainly on the the amount of weight you shoot, combined with the speed of the shot and the weight of your shotgun, I say try a one ounce load of shoot, fired at 1100 to 1150 fps. If this load still recoils too much you can go down to 7/8 oz. of shot and try again at the same speeds. Winchester and Allaint both make a powder for lighter shot payloads that will work great for both of these loads. Best of Luck and break em all. Jeff

10. Rick Young WY

Rick Young WY TS Member

You guys are great. A lot of excellent help. Thanks to all of you. I am working on getting my old Lee Load All II out of mothballs today. I will need to order a few new things for it but i think I will start there.

Thank you all again.

Rick Young WY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best loads for remington 1100

best powder for remington 1100