1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Best release for Beretta 391?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe O, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe O

Joe O Member

Where do I get the best release trigger for a 391. I have tried a couple but they can go off when you try to set them if you don't set them aggressively. Who makes the BEST 391 release?

Joe O
  2. TD1958

TD1958 TS Member

Hate to tell you but the correct way to set a release is by setting the trigger hard as if you try to sneak up on the set the hammer spring will drive the hammer thru the set.That is somewhat how they achieve lock time. Good luck, Tim
  3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

Tim got it right. If you don't want a fast release the trigger can be built with a softer trigger spring and more travel on the sear. That's how I have
    mine set because I shoot the 391 for sporting clays, and I don't want too fast or sensitive a release when I'm chasing all those crazy targets.

On the other hand, I shoot an 1100 for trap and the release is as fast as I can get it. Decide what you want, but it's going to be a compromise.
  4. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

I shoot one by Spears and it works well also has no safety. I had Phillip convert a trigger for my backup and his is good and has a safety. I shoot a Hoblett in my Super x1 and it is noticeably quicker. After a couple of targets I am used to it. I am sure there are lots of other reputable ones out there. jim w
  5. Joe O

Joe O Member

If I'm going to do it I just looking for the best I can find. I suspect the one I have is NOT the best, the gun even doubled once when I tried to set it. Not a good plan, I'll have a trigger setting flinch if that happens again.
    Joe O
  6. beaker100

beaker100 Member

hi hamms, you should not have to set the trigger fast or hard to keep it from pulling thru if the release trigger is properly installed.

i use the heavy j&s springs sold on this webbsite and you do not, i repeat, do not have to set the trigger fast or hard to keep it from pulling thru. also my triggers have no double set.

thanks doug hubbart gunsmith (573)286-9905 jd28hd@aol.com
  7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

You can't go wrong with Doug Hubbart, he's one of the best.
  8. TD1958

TD1958 TS Member

Does the trigger you have now have a set screw in the back of the trigger bow? If so it may be set to sensative!!! Good luck, Tim
  9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

The hook sold by motordoctor suited me just fine; just dropped it in and all was well.
  10. Snooky

Snooky Member

I have one by Cole and two by Phillips. Prefer Phillips. More consistant and he will set it where you want it.
  11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

Moneymaker has a nice release trigger assy or will convert yours.

Thurman Gobel also has a nice release for the Beretta.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.