1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Best Recoil Reducers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brady509, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brady509

Brady509 Member

What's the best recoil reduction system for for the best price?
  2. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

The best recoil reducer is a well-fitted stock.

This sounds like a "wise-guy" remark, but it truly isn't. I have found that getting a stock to fit right has a much greater impact (pardon the pun) on recoil reduction than any gizmo. In one case, once I got the stock to fit correctly, I set the recoil device so that it doesn't move (i.e., except for the weight and the LOP adjustability, it's like it isn't there) and I can't tell the difference.

The effect of a well-fitted stock goes far beyond just eliminating recoil. With a well-fitted stock, the gun mounts in the same place every time, long shoots tire you less, and for me, a well-fitted stock has a profound effect on scores that a recoil reducer can't come close to.

One other thought - when you buy a gun, you have as much chance that the stock will fit you as you have that a suit bought off the rack will fit you. Sure, it can happen, but most of the time you will wind up with the shooting equivalent of baggy pants and short sleeves. Getting a recoil reducer is like trying to make pants fit by tightening your belt. When you're done taking in your belt a couple of notches, your pants will stay up OK, but they are still baggy pants.

Ted K.
  3. shot410ga

shot410ga TS Member

PFS... Then the Shockmaster. The rest are pretenders to the crown.
  4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The "BEST" is a subjective opinion.

That said, I certainly agree with Ted K. on a well fitted stock. Because of shoulder issues, I also required a tad more recoil reduction and went with the Rad II on my Beretta 682 Gold E. Is it the best? Who knows. It does however work very good for what I asked it to do and allows me to shoot more targets than I may have normally been able to handle in a day.
    grntitan_2009_2503268.jpg
  5. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

G-Squared is not a pretender as someone put it. But it is not the cheapest eitehr. I have shot about everything out there and the G-Squared is better than anything else i have shot. Adds less rear weight and is very easy to adjust. Durability is un-matched as well. Do a search on some of the extremely high volume shooters that use them.
  6. bigben

bigben Member

Brady 509, the best devise at the best price if you mean lowest price does not exist, that said, should you own a gun that you can shoot 300 to 400 at targets a day, then get into a 3 to 5 hundred shoot off at night with no recoil devises, great! If this is not the case, and a custom stock is required, the money spent would be Pat Mcarthy's Stock Lock, the cost is no different than a lot of custom stock makers, the result is firing the dreaded AA dark silver bullets, with the recoil of a 28 ga. incinerate em!
  7. AEP

AEP TS Member

I agree with Ted. A well fitted stock will make a GIG difference. I have shot guns with recoil reduction devices and I have never found one to be any good. Thats me. I shot a K gun and didn't pay any attention to the GraCoil system. I never felt a bit of difference.

I can say this. Add some weight to the gun. For my wifes gun I added 8 oz of weight to the butt stock. She noticed a difference. I then added another 4 oz and she noticed another difference. Keep in mind she did not know what I was doing. I never told her about adding weight.

Try adding somw weight to the buttstock. I would start woth 12 oz. and work from there. You may find you need to add some weight to the front for balance, but for now just add it to the butt and try it. It will make a difference.

Good Luck,
    Andy
  8. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Active Member

Clyde slyde,inexpensive and bullet proof.Jerry
  9. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Stock fit and probably more pitch, the secret to less kick in the face.
  10. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

PFS that is set up correctly. It doesn't matter what you have if it's set up wrong
  11. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

The G squared Shock Master has made a huge difference for me, both for fit
    and recoil.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.