1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best recoil reducer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Silver Star, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silver Star

Silver Star TS Member

Wanted to get input on which recoil absorbing butt pad system works best. There may be more out there but the only ones I know about are by Graco, RAD, Danuser, ISIS, and SpeedBump. Please let me know what you think of these and others. Thanks. Roger

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Are you shooting 7 1/2's or 8's?

ss

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

I've used the Gracoil by Graco , the Countercoil by Danuser and the BumpBuster by Speed-Bump and my personal preference is the Bump Buster hands down. Not on your list but also used are the PFS stock, Don's Cary Comb, and the soft kick. Again the Bump Buster is the one I prefer.

--- Chip King ---

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have a Rad II on my Beretta 682 and love it. Very adjustable and takes the recoil away. Is it the best? Its better than the Gracoil on my sons BT but thats all i have for comparison.---Matt

5. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Slower shells and less shot. D Winter

6. bubba68

bubba68 Member

I'm with Old Doc - lighten the loads makes the biggest difference. Also, more weight in the gun - can be accomplished many ways depending on the type of gun you shoot. Try to use simple physics first - they tend to be the cheapest options.

Beyond that, shoot someone else's guns with various units. Everyone reacts differently to all the units you mentioned.

BTW - the best one I shot (about 10 years ago) was a Soft Touch unit on a 682. Very, very soft shooting - for me. I would definitely try a Soft Touch if you have the chance. I could only imagine a 1 oz., 1180 fps load in a semi-auto with a magazine weight and stock weight, topped off with a Soft Touch unit...That would be one soft shooting son of a gun!!!! You would have to take your earplugs out just to know the gun went off!

7. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Old Doc has it right. I might add one additional item, that would be some weight in the stock.

Use one ounce for singles and doubles. Use light 71/2's or 8's for handicap. The $100,000.00 dollar purse at the Grand in August was won shooting a final 75 straight using light 8 Federal paper shells, from the 27 yard line. Why do you need more ???

We have all heard that you must use heavy shells east of the Missisppi river because of the "humidity". I believe it's what you get used to. More and more shooters see men like Harrison and Campbell shooting the handicap loads and think that they must do it too in order to be competitive. As a result you see more and more guns with external recoil systems. From what I have been told, Campbell's K-80 weighs around 13 pounds and Leo's Beretta has a Stock-lock.

I personally use a ProSoft stock om my K-80 shotgun, because I have a collapsed disk in my back. But until about four years ago never used anything except weight in the stock and a Super-X Winchester shotgun. Semi-auto's always seem to kick less. These are just my thoughts after 32 years of trapshooting. Hope I've helped you.

Tom Strunk

8. biff

biff Active Member

Nothing beats the Soft Touch thru Shooters Emporium! Nothing in that price range comes close and their customer service totally tops in my book! Rads are heavy and too much stock has to be hogged out to make em fit, not even as good as Graycoil. A PFS is wiggly and is adjustable in almost every way except the way you need it to be sometimes.

I did shoot Tom's ProSoft which was like a big marshmellow when using any load, way too expensive for me though, I'll stick with my Soft Touch! Biff

9. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

R.A.D.2 Hands down period.
    Woody Sullivan

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have owned 2 Rad II and loved them both.

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have only owned a Clyde Slide and a Bump Buster. They both work great, and I was happy with the fit and finish on the stock. The Clyde Slide also gains you an adjustable comb if you do not already have one.

12. 3357

3357 Member

More weight. I added 8 ounces of mercury inside the stock (Gracoil), I dont know if the mercury does anything but the extra 8 ounces helped.

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Roger, here goes my 2 cents. First off I like the PFS as the best recoil system on the market today. Bottom line is nothing works as good and in the end, it will cost you NOTHING. All other systems cost 250-700 dollars depending on which one you want to buy. Now go try to sell that gun after a year or more and try to get your money back out of it. No one wants to pay even half of what you paid for the system and some don't even want it at all because the wood is cut!!! Now install the PFS and put the wood in the closet. You can save on the adj. comb and the adj. butt plate because its built in. The lenth of pull is adj. as well. Nothing comes close as far a recoil reduction, and when you go to sell gun at a later date, put back the old wood and sell with unaltered wood and sell the PFS seperately and get all your money back if you buy used to start with. These stocks were selling used on here for 600 dollars a few years ago and now there all around 800 dollars now. So if you did this 3-4 years ago you could have made 200 dollars and had perfect wood on stock with no dents or damage. Most shooters just like to play with the adj. to much. Set it and forget it. The only system that comes even close is the stock lock system and that runs about 4000 dollars or so. A guy out at my local club has 2 of them and they have both broke in the last 4 years so I am more than a little worried about how they hold up in the long run. Good Luck to you and Break-em all. Jeff

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'd get and try a PFS if it wasn't $1000+ and butt a$$ ugly. I'm sorry but i'd much rather have a stock with an inch of the nice wood hacked and a Rad II bolted on then a hunk of platsic and aluminum that looks like a robot arm. It makes beautiful guns look like crap. The advantage is when you sell it you can bolt the unmolested wood back on i agree. JM2C---Matt

15. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

PFS only fit a few stocks so find out if yours is one I shoot a BT100 and not available Jon

16. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Another vote for Precision Fit Stocks. I have a sissy shoulder and have tried many recoil systems and for me PFS is the best. I own 2 of them--One on an Alfermann. Vern Brown has always provided excellent service..No they are not as attractive as a beautiful wood stock..I just don't care--they work! I think of my gun as a tool.........SMOKIT

17. mt92

mt92 Member

+1 for PFS Soft touch is in a firm second.

18. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Get your gun to fit you. Shoot 1 oz or light loads. I bought a KX5 because of the balance but during my trial run it really kicked me a lot.

At a K dealer (Allems)I had the forcing cone extended, put in an internal (weight+noiseless) 'in stock' recoil reducer, adjusted the pad & adj. comb to fit me and now I can shoot all day in a tee shirt.

Many folks like PFS and other externals, but try gun fit first, loads 2nd and internals 3rd. Also, make sure your gun fits. If you gun kicks it may not fit.

There are a lot of threads here on Gun Fitters Bible. Very helpful book by Rollin Oswald.

A gun that fits will shoot where you aim (usually). Also, try gun fitting.

js in PA

19. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I have a Rad II on my 682, and a Bumpbuster on my Alfermann, both installed by Ken Rucker (the Rad before he developed the Bumpbuster). I prefer the Bumpbuster.

20. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I have owned several recoil reducing stocks/systems....Stock Lock, PFS, GraCoil, and Rad. What I found is the cheapest and most sensible is.......a stock that fits, 14-16 ounces of lead or mercury in buttstock, and light loads. I am as recoil sensitive as anyone, but with my setup above I am able to shoot light 8's (1145fps - 1 1/8oz) for singles and doubles. For Handicap, I have found that the Federal Gold Medal Handicap load has some punch. I love the Federal's, so I have gone to 3 dram-1 1/8oz-Papers @ 1200fps. This really takes the punch out. If I am unable to get that Federal load, I shoot some Nitros. I have found on my shoulder that Nitro 27's shoot the softest of the so called "handicap" loads, but I like the way the Federals break targets better!

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best recoil reducer
best recoil reducers
best shotgun recoil reducer system
isis recoil reducer or soft touch

isis recoil reducer reviews

mercury recoil reducer review
pfs recoil reducer
rad recoil