1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BEST RECOIL DEVICE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by birdogs, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I know that there have been several threads about recoil devices but I just wanted to see it boiled down to the advice of shooters on specific devices.

I shoot a Kolar which has relatively low recoil. However, thousands of rounds will have an effect over time. I am looking for advice on recoil devices on three primary points; effectiveness, appearance and cost. How does each of them work; spring, hydraulic, etc.? Also, what recoil devices could be retro-fitted to an existing stock and which ones require (or favor) a new stock? Who should do the installation?

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There are many threads on this issue. Do a search. You'll find out everything you ever wanted to know about recoil reduction.

3. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

There have been people on here who have stated that they have tried them all, sometimes for severe neck and shoulder problems. Most of those people have said the Precision Fit Stock easily beats them all. Some people may complain about the look (but a custom paint job will take care of that) BUT, if recoil reduction IS what your looking for, a PFS is the best. I have a countercoil on one gun and a GraCoil on another, and the PFS on my Perazzi is the best by far.

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I have never used a PFS. But, I have used a G-squared for many years and it not only works great, it is simple, strong and trouble free. Jake

5. finger

finger TS Member

I just put a PFS on my Kolar skeet gun this week. Amazing contraption. Makes fitting the gun perfectly a breeze and when popping 20 ga shells there is absolutely zero felt recoil. I have not shot anything else thru it yet. Beats the wood stock with a Graco spring butt hands down. It is ugly....but winning is far more important to me than looking good.

I'll probably buy another to put on the Krieghoff trap gun. I ordered my PFS from Bob Schultz. bob finger

6. dzneff

dzneff Member

I have used a Counter Coil on my Perrazi for 2 years. I am not satisfied with it so I just purchased a used Prescision Fit stock. Have not tried it yet, but expect it to be superior to anything on the market. Use 1 oz loads for handicap to 27 yd with good success and 7/8 oz loads for 16 yd and skeet, both light loads less than 1200 fps. Do not intend to ever use 1-1/8 oz loads. Also have Carey Comb on my doubles gun which I like, but don't believe they are available any longer. Have had a Grayco on a gun; it was not impressive. ....Dennis

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

This has been discussed upteen times, and will continue, as it should as new folks hit this site. I did a spot on the present reducers available with photos of them in parts.

In my humble opinion and being a mathematician and physics college grad, use lead shot in the butt-stock. It's all F=ma.

Think about taking a 25# bag of lead shot and drop it. It does NOT bounce.

Whiz White

8. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

if you put a 25lb bag of shoot between your shoulder and the butt of the gun you will feel no recoil,works good for bench rest shooting at pattern board.

9. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Pat McCarthy's Stock Lock - by far.

Tom

10. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Im have shot a Stock Lock on a buddys Seitz, and it is pretty good, but not as good as the PFS.

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I wish the Carey-Comb was still being manufactured...good product and a great guy to deal with...overnight service at any shoot he was at.

12. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

PFS by far.

Here is my reason. You don't touch the wood on your stock. You take it off and bolt the PFS on then store your good wood away.

A friend of mine had, and I stress had, a beautiful piece of burl wood he bought from Ottsville for his brand new K80 Trap special. The thing was absolutely beautiful and he paid some serious money for it.

About a month later I see him and he had a G-squared stock installed. I almost cried when I saw what he did. The wood was all nicked up and had to go back. Second was they had to cut 1-2 inches of beautiful wood off then cut some triangle piece out and glued it into for comb to make the installation.

IMHO the beautiful stock was now just a piece of wood a mechanical recoil device taking the lines and beauty away from the stock. The G-squared took the beauty out of the wood and it destroyed the value. He took a bath when he sold it a year later due to lack of interest.

If he bought a PFS and a year later he wanted to sell the gun, he could have bolted the wood back on and sold it for top value then sold the PFS separately taking a minor loss but not nearly as bad as he did with the G3.

If you are a recoil reducer type guy and your choice means cutting a bunch of wood off the stock, don't do it. Just buy the PFS, love it, shoot it and when it comes time to move on, take it off and reinstall the wood and sell it.

Nothing cut, nothing altered from original specs, nothing destroyed!!

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

G Squared. Works on compressed air (75-110 psi). Has sliding comb. Great guy to work with. Excellent quality. A bit expensive but worth it.

Jim Skeel

14. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

nothing works as well as extra weight.

15. laura!

laura! Member

Before I put a PFS on my Perazzi I could only shoot 1oz slow loads & still got smaked in the face. Now I can shoot Nitros if I want to. If you hate the look & got the bucks, a custom stock with a soft touch is just as nice & a lot prettier!

16. deadelk

deadelk Member

I have observed that the very best recoil devices weight about 300 lbs.

17. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

PFS.

Period.

Not a recoil reducer - it's recoil elimination.

We have one on my teenage son's Perazzi MX3 Special and the fit, balance and performance of that gun are remarkable.

18. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

pfs is where its at. i've had mine for about 16 months now. Right after I put it on, my scores went up, and have stayed up. Before the pfs, I was shooting 20ga 28ga and 410 out of my kolar. The wood comb on my factory stock punched me so bad in the face (would draw blood with the 28ga) I had to have a soft comb made. That was a good solution at the time, but the gun didn't fit and I knew it. Not being able to afford a custom stock, and with no alternative, I lived with an ill fitting stock for almost 3 years. Now that I have the PFS, I actually have a gun that fits, is comfortable, and has no recoil. I still have a soft comb of my own design, but i'm not certain its even necessary anymore (it was easier for me to source a soft comb than a wood one when I designed my comb setup). The most interesting byproduct of the PFS is how much harder I hit targets now, even using EXACTLY the same ammo and chokes that I was using with my wood stock.

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

It sounds like the jury is in. If one MUST shoot a load heavy enough to make him flinch, OR is one has physical issues, the PFS is the way to go. They are butt ugly, but a custom paint job can take care of that.

20. bigben

bigben Active Member

I second Tom's vote for Pat McCarthy's Stock Lock, I had a pfs on my mx-8, it did knock recoil down though not as well as the Stock Lock, as far as looks, the pfs is butt ugly, not enogh paint in the world to hide that fact, for looks, go to Dawson Enterprises and look up the Stock Lock area, nuff said! incinerate em!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.