1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best recoil device?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tripod, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Because of arthritis in my shoulders I am going to try a recoil device on my older BT-99 w/ adjustable comb. I have not researched brands or prices of the options available before and I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this site. Do any of you folks have an opinion on this issue that could be of help to me. Thanks.
    Bill K. (tripod).

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

PFS, Precision Fit Stock.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

A PFS is the best, period. If that isn't withing your means then have one of Ken Ruckers "BumpBuster" installed. I also like the G2 system, but the price on one of those is really out of sight.

I'm sure the "ProSoft" that Phil Simms makes is like no other, but I'd have to save for a few days to afford one of them.

My recoil reduction these days is a little extra weight in the stock and lighter/slower loads.

ss

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Bill: As stated the PFS is the best device to reduce recoil. However the PFS will cost more than the value of your BT99. That being said, the best recoil reducer is to shoot 1 oz loads or even better 7/8 oz loads. I have a RAD recoil device on my Beretta 682. It does a decent job; but again shooting the lighter loads is where you will really feel the difference. Ed

5. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

a gas operated auto probably works best for me. 1100 or 391 or SX1. Jim w.

6. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I don't know if you are looking for an internal or external unit. But I remember reading a post on here a while back, where the Hiram's Beartrap was mentioned as the best in-stock recoil reducer available. I have one in my BT-100, and it seemed to help.

Merry Chrismas, Rodbuster.

7. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I use the ISIS on my K-80. Works well and doesn't change the balance of the gun.

8. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I have owned three. For me , from most effective to least are:

1)PFS - Really ugly but very effective. Would not buy again.

2)G Squared Shockmaster - Effective, light weight, high quality. My favorite, would buy again in a heartbeat.

3)Soft Touch - Least effective of the three. Not bad, just not my favorite.

A shooting buddy used a Bump Buster. The few shots I took it seemed to work well but both agreed it weighs a ton.

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

G Squared. Best there is.

Jim Skeel

10. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Carey Baron can put a recoil reducer assembly in the stock of your BT-99. It works like a PFS except it is in your stock and costs much less. I suggest you call him at 208/476/7480. JM

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've warmed up to the ISIS quite a bit. I really didn't like it in the past because of the fact that it's made of plastic, what difficult to install (compared to other units) and it's somewhat expensive, but a few customers of mine really turned me on to them. They are very light weight, don't effect the balance of the gun very much and the self adjusting hydrolic cylinder really absorbs the recoil. They are also guaranteed for life.

12. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Not with shotguns but with dangerous game rifles in the 500 and over caliber range...

Have tried a number of recoil reducing devices ranging from muzzle porting, mercury reducers, springs, shock absorbers, etc.

Nothing worked as well as simply adding another pound of weight to the gun.

For rifles that was as simple as adding cheap lead to the buttstock and using a heavier contour barrel.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hammer1, I do the same thing with my trap guns. Melt lead into a copper straight wall tubes of various sizes, wallah, instant recoil reduction for mere pennies! I added 32 ounces to my B-303 fitted to me stock, like shooting a BB gun.

Hap

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I've had a stock lock, soft touch, gra-coil, and Rad. I prefer the Soft Touch, but you'll have to get use to the movement when you fire. a couple hundred rounds and you'll get use to it.

On the cheaper side, the good ole gra-coil works the best, but you'll have to experiment with the setting.

Least fav. is the RAD. The Pro Soft by Phil Simms looks to me to be the best. Few moving parts, little maintenance, simple but affective.

15. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I personally like the Soft Touch the best. I have one on my K80 and My Silver Seitz.

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've shot most of the stocks mentioned and by far the best I've shot is Phil Sims Pro-Soft stock!! I couldn't afford one of those so I had Phil make my stock fitted to me and I added the weight I mentioned above. One of these days though!

Hap

17. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I already shoot 1 ounce loads and have used an 1100 for the past few years. I do like the BT-99 though and shoot it fairly good. Thanks for the tips and I will check things out. My buddy has a recoil device on his 99 and has offered me the chance to try it out. I may do that first.

18. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

I just had a recoil system installed on my Kolar. It was recommended by Kolar. The stock recoils back but the comb stays against your face. Installed by a guy in WA.. Cost was less than $700.00 and it included a recoil reduction system with a 4-way adjustable comb, adjustable butt plate, new Kick-eez recoil pad, a spring kit which allows you to change the settings fora softer or harder recoil and return shipping. His e-mail address is hydeal@qwest.net. Normal turn around time is 10 -11 days. Workmanship was very good. Just got it back today, can not wait to try it out.

Ed Fish

Racine, WI

19. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

Although I've not had them all, I Have shot many including the clyde-slide, gra-coil, counter-coil and soft touch. For me, I didn't like the mechanics on the gra-coil, clyde slide is a good unit but older to the eye, soft touch systems are top notch but pricey and my personal favorite is the counter-coil.

Reasonably priced, excellent factory service, no perceived noise, adjustable and pleasing to the eye.

Eddie Quire

20. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Counter coil- second best- and least expensive

PFS- best and most expensive

Rad- 3rd and mid range of those two

-- rather than having a unit added- maybe sell the one you have and buy one that already has a unit on

You rarely capture any of the cost of a recoil reduction unit- in fact they most often lower the value of the gun with the exception of a PFS-

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best recoil device

best recoil reducing stock device for 308

pfs softer g2