1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best Recoil device opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by beagle1, Aug 27, 2013.

1. beagle1

beagle1 Member

Know this has been bantered about quite a bit. Want a quality device with length of pull adjustment in it. No comb - have that. No extreme priced -- keep it in the hundreds -- not over say 750.

I recall reading about the isis and bump buster previously but forgot the specifics / differences.

Would appreciate Strengths /weaknesses analysis of suggested devices.

Just getting the facts.

Thanks

2. dkarges

dkarges Member

I had a Gracoil on my K80 but found it inconsistent in felt recoil. It is springs and they can vary over time. I now have a Blaser with an ISIS and couldn't be happier. It was about $450 last year. It is a very subjective issue and everyone has different ideas. I wanted a Bumpbuster from Ken (I live in SA) but the waiting line was too long. If possible, you need to shoot a gun with both to see what 'feels' best.

Don

3. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I like the Gracoil for many reasons. It's mechanical and easily repaired...especially with the customer service Graco provides. No matter how old or where you got one they will fix it for practically nothing should it need anything.

Should you want to have a new one installed...and be in a pinch...they have quick turn around, and some of the prettiest work you'll find.

I too had thought of using another brand...but after a rather curt conversation that boiled down to..."I'm 6 weeks behind, and if you can't wait that long go some where else".

Lucky for me, and go somewhere else is exactly what I did!...Tracy at gracoil can't be beat for fast customer service and good equipment. It won't take a 5 minute conversation with anyone at Graco for you to figure out that they really do care about your particular needs. They are the GREATEST!!

Stan...

4. dkarges

dkarges Member

I failed to notice you want LOP adjustment. The ISIS does not provide that but I knew what LOP I wanted so it has not been an issue.

5. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Dont laugh but this actually works. I cut a 1" piece of 1" electrical pvc pipe. Drop it in the stock, add 20 nickles (more or less based it how it feels), and a spring from the hardware store thats long enough to slightly protrude past the end of the stock. Put your pad back on and your done. The addt wt reduces recoil + the nickles and spring act like a mercury system. You wont hear them btw. $6 total. People laugh at this til they shoot my M12. Can be more descriptive on the spring if you are interested.

6. APrice

APrice Active Member

GraCoil all the way!

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had a Gracoil LOP unit installed on a new KX-5 before I ever shot it so I could tailor the LOP to see what worked best for me. Three years later, I had a custom-fitted stock made for the gun and the recoil with a properly-fitted stock without any recoil reduction device was actually less! The Gracoil only seemed to help when adjusted to have a lot of spring tension; any softer and it seemed to increase the felt recoil. I surmised that it was bottoming out but I shot mostly one-ounce loads at 1,150fps so I found that hard to believe.

averaged_2008_030342.jpg

However, I now shoot a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon II combo and during a visit to Beretta's Accokeek, Maryland plant in 2008, was shown a recoil reduction device they were installing in the stock of one of their autoloaders.

averaged_2008_030343.jpg

I bought one from them and put into my gun's stock. It really seemed to reduce the recoil, which wasn't bad to start with, but I asked another Beretta shooter to try my gun without telling him why. After the first shot, he turned to me and said my gun kicks a lot less than his and he was a left-hander shooting a very right-handed gun.

The device looks like a larger version of a Dead Mule and works the same way - a spring-loaded weight moves back under recoil and is propelled forward again by the spring. But the weight is heavier so it has more effect. I also use a Dead Mule on my 870 trap guns - it is in that photo of recoil-reducing gadgets and is attached to an 870 magazine cap so I can move it from one gun to another.

averaged_2008_030345.jpg

The weighted magazine cap on the 1100 in that photo doesn't seem to do much but then an 1100 isn't a hard-kicker to start with.

I think the Beretta "Recoil Reduction System" sells for sixty-odd dollars.

Ed

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

ED, you say "a spring-loaded weight moves back under recoil and is propelled forward again by the spring."

By the time the weight is "propelled forward again by the spring" the recoil event is over and you have already absorbed the recoil. So how does it do anything at all except add weight to the gun?

9. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

PFS if you want the ultimate. I tried both a gracoil and one of Ken's bump busters. Actually I still use both of them. Ken's MAY be a touch better....maybe. If you are on a budget I would simply get the gracoil.

10. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

Isis. You certainly should know your required LOP before installation?

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

PFS.

By the time you spend $ on an adjustable comb, adjustable pad, and recoil reducer, you're VERY close in price to a used PFS. Buy a PFS, pull your stock off, set it aside or sell it, put the PFS on, dial it in, and you're done. NO waiting whatsoever, and you don't have to hack up your wood stock, which may harm it and your guns value.

When you switch guns, you buy a new pfs grip, and transfer the stock over. When you stop shooting or decide you don't like the PFS anymore, you sell it for what you have into it (if you bought it used) or a VERY slight loss (if you bought it brand new).

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Johnny, devices like the Beretta unit and a Dead Mule use inertia to drive the weight backward just like an 1100's bolt or an 870 Competition's piston only gas pressure drives those weights rearward before a spring sends them front again. Obviously, given the heavier weight of the bolt and piston, the recoil reduction with those two guns is more significant but the Beretta unit's (and the Dead Mule's) effect can be felt.

Boss, if your comment was directed at me, different gun designs will feel best with different LOPs. Think about how varied the location of the trigger can be, then factor in different pistol grip dimensions and the feel of one stock with a given LOP can be different than another stock with the same measurement. Using the thumb-to-nose measurement as a yardstick, that distance can change drastically from one gun to another.

Ed

13. beagle1

beagle1 Member

Gun has adj. comb new from factory. Prob. number one priority is the adj length of pull because I will have my sons using it also for various periods of time. The recoil device would be nice but secondary to simple / quick lop adj and a good pad.

14. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

Ed: Comment was not directed to you. The shooter who asked the question should know what stock he is working with and should either know or be advised by a competent fitter (perhaps the smith installing the Isis, e.g.?) as to proper LOP.

15. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Average Ed had it right, but then the conversation moved on and ignored his point.

A properly fitted stock is a much better recoil reducer than any gadget, spring mechanism (with or without nickles), or the like.

I have observed this across several guns I have bought. Most telling was the reduction in recoil which occurred when I went from a Kolar ready-made stock to one fitted to me by Jeff Mainland at Kolar. The difference in feel and accuracy was enormous.

If you take into account the cost of an adjustable comb, a recoil reducer and change in recoil pads or other methods of changing LOP, compared to the cost of a custom fitted stock, the cost difference is small, but the increase in accuracy and decrease in felt recoil is large.

As to trying to equip the gun so that both you and your son can use it, think about buying a sport coat and installing a lot of zippers so that both of you can wear the coat....

FWIW, I have Gracoils on two of my guns. I too found that a Gracoil works well only with high spring tension. But whatever it does pales in significance to getting a custom fitted stock.

Ted K.

16. Ammo222

Ammo222 Member

Hooked on Shooting
    I agree with your simple device. I have various recoil devices including the Dead Mule and Edwards Recoil Reducer which did not require the stock being cut. Also have a number of guns with counter-coils but they required cutting the stock. Like you, I experimented with various tubes with springs and weights in them and to be honest, found the home made device virtually as effective as the factory products. Despite being crudely made, they seemed to work effectively. My only question to you is how long your spring extended out of the stock once it and the nickles were inserted and did you cover the end of the pcb tube before reinstalling the pad ?

Rodger

17. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

The best recoil device........a Beretta gas gun with 1 ounce loads

18. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I agree about two people shooting the same gun, buy 2 cheaper guns over one expensive gun if you have two shooters. You will both suffer from the consequences of trying to adjust a gun back and forth. With that said I have a LOP adjustable Gracoil, I like it, it has never moved unless I have moved it. The RAD system would be my next choice, but make sure you locktight the set screws with a low grade locktight.

19. dcblvsh2

dcblvsh2 TS Member

Bumpbuster. I install them too.

Has everything you want in your price range.

Contact me for pricing and turn around time.

Thanks, Doug

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It's a subjective question with too many right answers.

In my opinion the best would be a Dawson's Stock lock with a fitted stock. That said, I have a RAD II w/LOP adjustment on my 682 Beretta and a Gracoil w/LOP adjustment on my Browning. I personally like the RAD better but they both work as advertised. The most important part of these type recoil reducers is proper tension adjustment.

Search tags for this page
dead mule recoil reducer review
edwards recoil reducer
edwards recoil reducer review
edwards recoil reducer reviews
isis recoil reducer

isis recoil reducer reviews

spring loaded recoil pad
spring recoil reducer