1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best raingear for Alaska

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jimborn, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

I'll be in Kodiak Alaska the end of September and know I'll need good rain gear, any suggestions??

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I've always worn the Mad Dog breathable dry wear hunting around anchorage...but you'd better bring two sets.

3. JStephens

JStephens TS Member

I've had great luck with the Cabelas Guide wear....only drawback is that you don't want to have it on with temps above 70 degrees, but it works great, very durable....well made.

John

4. JStephens

JStephens TS Member

Should add.....I'm taking mine up to Wrangel Alaska next week : )

John

5. trident

trident Member

jeff p, what do you hunt around Anchorage? Bloremiester

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Otnot is right...the helly hansen stuff WILL keep you dry. Unless you sweat so much you're just as wet inside the gear as you would be from the rain.

Andy, (if that's you, bloremiester)...three goat hunts, a sheep packing trip and two moose hunts so far. It's been good stuff. I had it down on Kodiak for my bear...but got lucky and it didn't rain that much while I was there.

Two of my buddies hunted Kodiak, and they hunted in waders most days!

7. Steven R. Scheib

Steven R. Scheib TS Member

The only thing that affects the Gore-Tex membrane is heat. Salt water has no effect on it what-so-ever. Temps above 490 degrees can melt the teflon membrane. I would suggest the new Pac-Lite Gore-Tex. It is the lightest weight ever made; newest technology; and very breathable. Pac-Lite is the trade mark name given the graphite impregnated membrane by W.L. Gore & Company. If interested, I sell Zero Restriction Rainwear, made for golf, but used by many trapshooters. Steve

8. coho

coho Member

I lived in Alaska for 13 years and had good luck with gortex, I think the brand was moonstone. Rubber is cheaper and tougher but you sweat so bad you get wet anyway. Even though you’ll sweat wearing goretex it was more comfortable to me and I don’t think most people need the commercial grade rubber rain gear. Make sure you have a good seal between your gloves and jacket. It rains hard enough on Kodiak to get your forearms soaked from rain running down your jacket and into your gloves. hope your not planning on staying in a tent that gets pretty miserable fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.