1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best rain jacket?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Had a few john storm jackets, browning hydrofleece, and some other "shooting jackets" they are nice, but too bulky (i'm very sensitive to LOP changes, so I really don't like to shoot in anything more than a sweatshirt w/ a t-shirt underneath). I need something wind-shirt'ish, but waterproof. I have a Sunderland of Scotland Weatherbeater right now that fits well, but its waterproofing is just about gone, and I believe they discontinued the Weatherbeater (I actually bought a couple other ones off ebay, but they must have changed the cut or something b/c all 3 were the same size, but only the one I use now was large enough). Something w/ out a collar is very beneficial as well.

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Take a look at the 10X rain suit. It is thin.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Two words for you !!!!! Frogg's Togg's. Add a dot com for website and order to your home. I like the one piece long raincoat, It comes down to the bottom of my short pants (knees). Super light material (thin) and will work as a wind breaker of sorts as well. Its a breathable material and totally waterproof, comes a few sorted colors as well. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Only problem w/ the frogg toggs is the collar which stores the hood,,,gets in the way when I mount the gun. They used to make a windshirt that would have been ideal, but they discontinued it for some reason...

5. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

XXXX

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I like the ones by North Face, they weigh almost nothing , not cheap. I got mine on sale at Gander mountain. Jeff

7. jvsomers

jvsomers Guest

Check out the DryJoy golf rain jacket. They have them at Dick's and the Pro shop at Wildwood CC in Rush. I believe it has a Gortex lining and the collar isn't too large.

John

8. BLT1

BLT1 Member

Zero brand rain gear as good as it gets as well as expensive

9. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Check into Sitka gear, it's not cheap but it is light and comfortable and works extremely well. Bill Hom

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Have Storm make a custon jacket for you. I've got two. One IS custom made. I wanted the sleeves a little longer, and had the coat hang a little longer. I wanted my butt well covered so my ass didn't get wet....along with my wallet.

Doug

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The cheap (less expensive) Stearn's rain gear sold at Walmart (approx. @25.00 - less on sale).

I stay as dry as the guys with the expensive shooting/rain jackets.

Curt

12. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I bought the Nike golf rain suit and it breathes better than gore-tex and is light weight. I had Storm make me a jacket and it fits great and keeps the rain out but it also keeps the sweat in. I have to change shirts and pull the sleeves out of the jacket to dry them.

13. Battue

Battue Member

Golfers are ahead of the game when it comes to developing rain gear that can breathe and still give you range of motion without bulk.

I have been using Nike Golf rain gear for a number of years and it does the trick; better than anything I have come across. I have a pullover StormFit top that has half-sleeves that come down to about my elbows. It breathes great when it is a bit warmer. I also have a StormFit full rain jacket that works great when it is a bit cooler. Nike is proud of this stuff which usually retails for about $160.00. If you get lucky, and can get to a Nike Outlet, they sell them for about $40.00, but do not always have them…

With that said, when it is hot in Texas, I find it easiest to just put on a pair of shorts and a T-shirt and just get wet…

Pat

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Look at Patagonia. They make several jackets for cyclists and cross country skiers that are wind proof and very water resistant (water proof as far as I'm concerned) and breathable. Mine self stores into a packet about the size of my hand. It keeps you dry without that stuffy feeling you get with non-breathable rain wear. Cost is about $100.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Battue is right. the golf stuff is the best. If you can find anything by Bill Rogers buy it if you don't have to mortgage your house.

HM

16. below 0

below 0 TS Member

I've a rain suit made by Zero Restriction...Love It, but it is pricy. It's made for Golfers but works great for Shooting. Dale

17. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

www.zerorestriction.com

Bruce

18. eperry

eperry Member

The Beretta rain jacket is nice and lightweight with a low collar and so is the 10X. Can look at Shyda's and NICASHOOTING web sites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.