1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Radiator Stop Leak?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TinMan88, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

I have a small leak in a Buick radiator and want to use a product that won't plug the passagages along with the leak. Any suggestions? The TinMan

2. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Best product I have ever found is Alumaseal. It looks like an aluminum powder and comes in a small plastic tube. Most parts stores have it.

I don't use it on customer vehicles but I have used it several times on family cars and my own stuff. It has saved me a ton on new radiators for cars that I just want to get by for awhile and I mean it stops the leak and doesn't leave that floating crud in the cooling system.

Steve

3. dhip

dhip Active Member

Alumaseal is very similiar to what manufacturers put into radiators of NEW cars,factory is tablets,we usually put two tablets in each radiator,before radiator is filled and vehicle run.

Doug H.

4. drh08

drh08 TS Member

I would look at the hoses and rule those out. If the radiator is leaking out a seam or something like that, what is leaking is just the weakest part of the radiator and the other parts of it aren't far behind.

Replace the radiator and be done with it, it will have a much much higher chance of success.

Just my thoughts

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Pepper, right out of the pepper shaker on your table ... Put about a spoon full of it in the radiator when its warm and running, the pepper will plug the hole and last forever or until you flush it out ... This works I guarantee it because I have used it many times ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

WPT..

If it last forever why have you used it many times? Same radiator or many different ones?

7. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Alumaseal for sure. I used it in my last Peterbilt and it worked for over a YEAR. Good Stuff!!!!!!! Joe W.

8. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Another vote for alumaseal.

I have used it on many cars, trucks and esp. old AC tractors.
    Will even seal a seeping head gasket.

9. warren

warren Member

Replace the radiator and avoid getting stuck out somewhere plus the damage it could do to your engine.

warren

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Use the sealer available at General Motors dealers. About $5, they use it on new cars, does not clog anything, works.

11. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Have used Alumaseal on several vhicles over the years. Have heard of pepper and canned milk from my Dad but taht would have been in radiators from the 30's 40's and early 50's. If at some later point you boil/clean out the cooling system yoiu would need to put another dose of Alumaseal in just to make sure. Bill PS at Jeeep in Toledo every car coming off the line had a compressed 'slug of ground walnut hulls added to lower radiator hose to plug up possible leaks. I have no reason to believe that other manufacturers don't do the same thing!

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

How much is stop leak? $5.00. How much for a rad? Depends on the car. How much for an engine? $2-5000.00. I would go for the new rad. Its a pain to be out on the road and break down and not have my own tools or shop to fix it. Out of town shops just smile when you break down in their town.

13. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Thanks, everyone. It is an old car and of little value though it does errands and short trips. It is the rad for sure and not hoses. Alumaseal sounds good to me. Barz/leaks is a liquid product that the auto store suggested. I had never heard of it so I asked you guys. Much appreciated. Regards, The TinMan

14. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Back in 1960 my dad had a 58 merc. We had a radiator leak and dad used Alumaseal. I took the car raddit hunting the next week and we got stuck in a snow covered culvert, while I was trying to get the car out the radiator hose blew.

The car died right there and needed to be towed. I tryed to start the car when we got home with no luck. Dad came out to see what the problem was. looking under the hood while I turned the engine over. It looked like the fourth of July under there, all the aluminum powder blew out onto the engine and shorted out all the plugs. We had to have the block steam cleaned.

15. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Like radar chaff?

Thats funny!

16. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

I sold nothing but Bars Leak pellets they make the large ones and small tablets. Turn the heater on HOT and make sure you follow directions and they will work. If you use alumaseal there is a chance of it clogging the heater core I never pushed that stuff for that reason I would reccomend the Pellets from Bars Leak.

17. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The pepper trick that WPT talks about works like a champ. I done it a few times and always succeded.

Make sure that the radiator is leaking in the core and not where the side tanks are attached. If the seal around the side tank is shot, then you'll need to R&R the radiator.

These days I pressure check to find the leak (removed from vehicle) and epoxy the bad area with a two part epoxy made for the job. It's a very easy job and is permanent with no ill effects to the other parts of the cooling system.

If it is just a slight leak and you really don't want to fix it, then half step your radiator cap so it doesn't build up as much system pressure. This will usually strop the leak unless it is really bad.

ss

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My dad & I used bars Leak pellets for years at his service garage

19. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Just read one more reason why I will never buy a Jeep.

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have used Pepper on trucks, tractors, friends cars, racecars and an assortment of other things that had water leaks ... It works .... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alumaseal powder directions

alumaseal radiator stop leak directions

alumaseal radiator stop leak review

alumaseal review

best radiator stop leak reviews
best stop leak radiator forum

tips for using alumaseal

will alumaseal stop a leaking castec head