1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Radar Gun For Money

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

The trick to using any radar gun, is to use it consistently and within its limits. The inexpensive guns ($150) will work well but must be placed very close to where the target comes out of the house. The more expensive Pro Speed guns can accurately be used 30 yards behind the house while a squad is shooting (have to wait for a straight away target). The more expensive gun will measure peak speed and continuous speed but this is not a big advantage. If the club can afford it, I really like the more expensive gun (+-$500).

A chronograph in front of the house will work well but consistent set up is more critical and they are more susceptible to damage from moving around and will be affected by sunlight. The inexpensive gun, expensive gun or chronograph will all work well if care is taken to use them correctly.

The expensive Pro Speed gun is the only system that will allow checking target speed throughout the day without disrupting shooting.

Pat Ireland

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Pat, We have been using a Bushnell Sports Radar Gun for about six months now. Much less expensive, I think we paid about sixty bucks for it. To my surprise, I can get the same speed readings from the 16 yd. line as from the back of the trap house roof. I realize it will not measure closer than a single MPH but if I can get forty-two MPH at the trap and repeat the check from the 16 yd line (at any time) and get the same reading, that's close enough for the whiners we shoot with.

Big Jack

3. missemucho

missemucho Member

I'll second the Bushnell; we got one for our club on EBAY for around $80 and it works just fine so long as you follow the directions and hold it steady on the trap house.
    John

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I bought a cheap Bushnell at a closeout for $50 a few years ago. It works great when the distances are close to the house. I had the opportunity to compare it to a chronograph and a much more expensive radar gun. It was spot on if your technique was consistent. From the back of the house or even from behind the trap, the readings were on the money, provided the other tools I compared it to were accurate.

5. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

3rd the Bushnell cheapo.

Get the same readings as the expensive gun up close and back.

We can check the speeds as the shoot progresses from behind the 27yd line with no problem.

60 bucks from Pepboys of all places.

6. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I'll second what Pat Ireland said. He's explained everything perfectly,,radar guns to chronographs.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The inexpensive Bushnell will work fine. The key is to use it exactly the same way on each trap.

My gun will read to a 0.1 of a mile and can read continuous speeds, but neither of these features are required to set good targets. But, I still like nice toys to play with. Another feature of the expensive radar gun is that it will cause large trucks to slow down and get out of the fast lane so I can pass. I can point it down the highway and see break lights go on for a 1/4 mile.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.