1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best pump ever Model 31 vs Model 12

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FIB, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

This argument broke out at my local gunshop with strong supporters on each side...so what was the best made pump in American history???

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

31 worked better but somewhat fragile. Model 12 built like a tank, last forever or thereabouts.

HM

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Model 31...take one apart (easy) and see the excellent fit and strength of the parts. I have 4 (one is a TC) and wish I had more. Best Regards, Ed

4. Bridger

Bridger Member

I don't think there is a wrong answer to this. Two of the finest guns ever made in this country. My preference is the Model 12 but I appreciate the quality of the 31 too.

5. piddie

piddie TS Member

Vic Reinders kept a spare action slice bar for his 31 because they would break when shooting doubles. He still claimed the 31 was more reliable than the 12.

6. ole 31

ole 31 TS Member

Remember the Vic Reinders story in Shotgun Sports years ago. Vic was a gunnery instructor. He said although the 31 was the preferred gun and shot more they had only lost the use of one while all the Model 12's had broken.

7. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I am a Model 12 guy but may have to go along with Tron the 870 could be the best. I have a 31TC and a 870TC shot them for a while now got the 870 in the 1970's and the 31 TC in the 1960's. The Model 12 and the Model 31 are finer made all machined parts and fit by hand and Pump guns are an American invention we started the pump thing in place of the lever action repeaters. I always like them for their reliability and simple design as far as quality goes the 31 and 12 win but the 870 may be the best pump going it is not as finely made but they have a history all their own Old Rudy made it famous. As for total shots through a gun pumps are the champs for the money nothing comes close in my mind.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Model 12, 31, 870..............tie for durability. They each have a weak point. Model 12's the chamber ring. 31's action bar. 870's shell lifter.

9. Beretta Blue

Beretta Blue TS Member

I own both.........Tough one to decide, but I lean towards the Model 31. The action of the 31 is a tick smoother. My Model 31 WAS BILT IN 1933. THE MODEL 12 IN 55. I prize both and plan to shoot both, then pass them on to my Grand kids. Both are fine guns, both point well and break targets what else could anyone ask for.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have owned and shot both at trap. I prefer the M 12. The trigger lift of the M 31 never felt comfortable to me.

Pat Ireland

11. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

Model 12 here, As far as breaking? Ive never seen one break Ive owned 32 of them in Trap and Skeet, Built too last forever Richie

12. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Both are great guns. I like them both but I will have to say for smoothness the 31 takes the prize.

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I cleaned a buddy's model 12 a few years ago. He had never taken it apart since the early 1960's. The chamber had grooves from the old RXP hulls and unless you indexed the grooves right the shell was not going in. LOL , after a million rounds it still has not broke! Jeff

14. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I don't think the mod. 12 chamber ring is a weak point. It is a part that MIGHT wear out after 50000 rounds. Stu Wright replaced the ring in my Wife's mod 12 for about $110. Several years ago, I needed a $10 hammer spring for mine. Does any one have a Perazzi with 50k rds through it and less than $125 in repairs? The mod 12 was built to last, and it has. Larry Evans

15. shadow

shadow Active Member

M-31 is smoother, but Make mine a M-12. Best pointing shotgun on the planet!!

16. 5screw

5screw TS Member

Why yes, I have several Perazzi shotuns with many more than 50,000 rounds and less than $125 in repairs. It's quite common.

Bob

17. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

I'm fortunate enough to own both a Model 31TC Rem. and a Model 12 Trap Win. I think the #31 is smoother operating than the #12. I shoot the model 12 alot better than the model 31 though. The model 12 is better for me. You can't go wrong with either one!

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Personally, I'm partial to the Model 12's because I have a bunch of them and have shot them a bunch in my life time ... I'm not sure there is a definate answer to this other than personal preference being as both are great guns ... Rudy Etchen might argue in favor of the 870 being as he did pretty well with the one he shot ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. peavine

peavine TS Member

Started out on M12's so there will always be a place at the top IMO. Never shot a 31 but, have handled a few and saw a nice one at the Grand. The 31 has to be the smoothest I've ever operated and I'd like to have one also for the collection. However I couldn't differentiate between the two as which one is best.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I like both guns but I'm partial to the mod.12. The mod.12 will still fire with several broken parts inside! Not too many other guns are capable of that. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.