1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best primer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapman99, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapman99

trapman99 TS Member

i use the federal 209a primer thinking of changing to winchester just looking for some imput

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've had perfect results with Federal, Winchester, Remington, Cheddite, and Fiocchi primers at different times from '73 to now......Bob Dodd

3. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Win209 is all I use
    Fits my needs well.......

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Good primer but over priced. HMB

5. Higbee

Higbee TS Member

Fiocchi 616 over 7000's used in the past year no problems...Need I say more!

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You may never see a Federal primer dud in your lifetime-not so with the others. That said, I still load plenty of Winchesters and nothing fits a Remington hull better than their own primer!!

7. jsa3107

What do you really save in the long run with a cheap primer?
    I just dont get why people use cheap parts when they are reloading..i

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

<You may never see a Federal primer dud in your lifetime-not so with the others.>

First dud I ever had was a Federal Paper, 4th bank, 2001 GAM......

they all fail sometime. I've gone thru 10,000 Rio primers without a failure...

I really don't think any of them are garbage....

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Where I buy supplies the Winchester 209, CCI and Federal 209A are the same price. The Remington PSTS's are slightly higher. Rio's and Chech are quite a bit lower, probably just as good but I'm not messing around with them. Not worth it to me. For the longest time now I've only used the Win's and Rem's, they go off every time. I feel I make excellent quality reloads and want to keep it that way. I've won Fed. 209A at primer shoots (prize). They are great primers also. All of which have been used up during reloading. I ain't no primer expert but, I would think that the Fed's, Rem's and Win's are pretty much made to an industry standard.

10. Shilo

Shilo TS Member

to 3107 no i do not want to start anything but you said why use cheap primers well why would we pay a 170.00 dollars for 5000 primers when you can get wolf or fio 616 a lot cheaper and they all go bang and what is the real difference between any of them ok sts and win or fed what is the real difference besides what they cost so why the big price difference in primers thanks my opinion only that is what it is just money ,,,

11. jsa3107

It is about pride in what you shoot
    And about having a primer you believe in
    And hey while you are thinking on it why not buy what you know is American
    And if none of that matters why not shoot the best because you know it works....

12. jsa3107

Oh one more thing look at what the difference is per box to use a cheap primer vrs the winchester 209 is it worth it??

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

14. Herman63

Herman63 Member

I have heard that the fiocchi were not good but I have loaded 10,000 and they are great but I only load them with greendot.

Opps I did load some when I first started loading them with clays which was a mistake.

Just my observation, Herman63

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

"........nothing fits a Remington hull better than their own primer", oleolliedawg

I've found that's true, I load mostly Remington hulls......use a LOT of Remington 209P primers. For other brands of hulls I use Winchester W209s

John C. Saubak

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have had zero failures with many Cheddite and Rio primers. If I only loaded premium hulls and cost was no object, I might be inclined to use the Fed 209A.

As it is, I have a huge supply of what Hat Shooter calls "Eurotrash" hulls, and am happy to load them once with a Rio primer and toss them. :^)

I have had great results with these primers over the years using Clays, Red Dot, Promo, AmSel, Intl' Clays, Unique, REX I, and the Solos, 1000 and 1250.

I have gone back to Solo 1000 for everything but Caps, and Unique for the back fence.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've been loading Fio 616 for about a year now. Clays for the 16 and Green Dot for the 27. No problem, they work great. I used to use AA's. But, the price became to high.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Joe,

I don't believe any non corrosive primers are. Old corrosive primers made around WWII and before would be. HMB

19. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I use the F209A exclusively because it is a good hot primer and I believe in hot primers for shotshell ammunition.

Green dot in cold weather? No problem

Green Dot with 7/8 oz loads? No problem

Weak crimps? powder charges a little light? most of the things that cause bloopers can be mitigated with a good hot primer.

20. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I have been using 10,000 Fiocchi primers with both AA and STS hulls, titewad and International powder with out any problem or misfires. The only difficulity I have found is tha some of the Fiocchi primers, about 5%, do not realize that they are susposed to break the birds. :)

....Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.