1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best price on Radar Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by PLTT, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PLTT

PLTT TS Member

Who has the best price on radar guns for setting targets. Mark R

2. Guy

Guy Member

Don't buy one.....there are just too many variables in the use of these things.....and I speak from experience. We have tried every one out there. Buy a chronograph (about $129), then get the bracket from Bob Schultz that slips on the Pat......next, make up a short pull cord.....and if you have a permanent hole or bracket in front of the trap for the height pole, you can actually set targets by yourself if you have to. The chronograph is absolutely more consistant than any radar gun.....and that is whole purpose. If you'd like more conversation, send me an email.

Who's going to come out of the woodwork now?

Guy Hungerford - Director, Sacramento Trap.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Guy, I think that bracket is supplied by Stuart Patenaude, not Bob Schultz. By the way, radar and chronographs are about equally accurate, and either can be used to set correctly-speeded targets. I too have tried them all.

Neil

4. setter

setter Member

Here's the Decatur "yellow" gun that's commonly used. This is the one that can be used from the 16 yd line.

Also:http://www.targetshotguns.com/Radar%20Guns.htm

Bob Schultz Target Shotguns, sells a couple of different radar guns, the main difference is these should be used from the back of the house.

5. setter

setter Member

Target Shotguns clickable.

6. Guy

Guy Member

Geez Neil....you were first....and you're right, they are about the same.....just not the users.....and that's where your opinion peters out. It's almost impossible to maintain EXACTLY the same position of the radar gun, field to field..... let alone always the same user, relative to the chrono. I suppose if you had some kind of mounting bracket for the gun, that positioned it in exactly the same place every time, it would be close. But most clubs do not use them in that manner.

The chrono is brainless, and it does not matter who is using it. Besides, when I see these guys shooting radar from the 16 or 27 yard line, you cannot convince me they get accurate readings, field to field. Besides, the question was what is the best price....I know he asked radar gun.....but for brainless, user friendly target setting, the chrono is the only way to go.....and you know it.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

WGH- I must disagree with your conclusion. Both instruments can be used to set good targets. A problem with radar guns is that they have to be held level to the ground or at least the same angle to the target or the reading will be a little off. A problem with chronographs is that they are made to be handled very gently. They are not designed to be put in a golf cart or a truck seat and moved around a lot. A good radar gun can be used to set targets in the morning and then used to check the targets throughout the day while squads are on the line. Shooters very much like to see the management checking targets during the day.

I have used both chronographs and radar guns for several years at many different clubs. I prefer good (expensive) radar guns. They are more convenient to carry, more versatile and the scale on my radar gun is more precise. One tenth of a MPH is a smaller unit than 1 ft/sec.

Pat Ireland

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

There's truth to what you say about radar position, Guy, especially if you are talking about low-power guns and it's something Mark R should know about before he buys.

The low-power guns, which have to be used right behind (or from inside) the house are very sensitive to how high they are held. If you crouch down so the gun just peeks over the roof, then the readings are the same as a high-power gun from the 16 (or 27). If you stand up and measure you will set a faster target, a lot faster in fact.

[​IMG]

However, from the 16-yard line the position of the gun makes little difference.

You wrote "Besides, when I see these guys shooting radar from the 16 or 27 yard line, you cannot convince me they get accurate readings, field to field. "

Does the link above convince you?

Chronos work fine, especially on Stuart's bracket though they are more delicate then radar. If treated carefully, they are, as you say, less subject to misuse than radar guns. But tell me - how hard is it to stand at the 16-yard line and point at a target?

Neil

9. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

What Neil and Pat said.

Pat's statement of "I have used both chronographs and radar guns for several years at many different clubs. I prefer good (expensive) radar guns. They are more convenient to carry, more versatile and the scale on my radar gun is more precise. One tenth of a MPH is a smaller unit than 1 ft/sec." explains it perfectly I think.

I don't have experience with low power guns so I can't give input there, but the best and most consistent targets I've seen have been set with a high power gun. We've had a pair of Decatur Pro-Speed guns at the 30 yard line show the same speeds as when measured from the 16.

Most of the clubs around have a 'Pat Pal' and a Pro-Chrono chronograph mounted for use also, but using a high power radar gun is considerably more convenient, providing the operator has some experience with one.
    Besides, how could a chronograph be used to set targets for a shoot-off in darkness?

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I got a deal on a close out. I found a Bushnell for $50. I use it to double check the chronograph and I'm real close with it. If I had to, I'd trust it to set targets rather than to take a guess. I bought it as a novelty and found it to be rather accurate. You do have to take a low position over the back of the house in order to get a good and accurate reading. You need to hold it in line with the trajectory of the target, or as close as you can get. I've even tried it behind the trap inside the house and got a reading extremely close to the chronograph as well. It's proven real easy and consistant. I'd love to have one of the more expensive radar guns, but for $50 I could afford this one. It simply will not work well from the 16 yard line. It does a great job of confusing people with radar detectors as well.:)

11. Guy

Guy Member

I'm sorry I don't have a bunch of scientific data to support my opinions, and I guess I accept yours, except that we've used everything from the Highway Patrol radar gun, Bobs gun, and the Prospeed gun we still own, and targets set with those units, for whatever reason, do not result in the consistancy from field to field that the chrono does. That's all. I can't tell you why, just what we have seen. The radar guns do provide consistancy (I drank the kool-aid), but the chrono does it better.

Remember, you guys are perfectionists. You know what you're doing.....but you should also acknowlege the numerous variables in the practical use of radar guns.

The chrono unit we now use is 3 years old, and works fine.....and you could buy a few with what would be spent on that high dollar radar gun.

Again, the most cost effective, user friendly unit for setting targets, is the chrono and bracket.

Guess we'll just have to do it the old fashioned way for night time shoot-offs though....oh yeah, we have a radar gun.

Wanna talk about mandatory reductions now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.