1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best powder to keep my autoloader clean

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by patanneflick, Jan 4, 2017.

1. patanneflick

patanneflick TS Member

I am currently loading 16.5 g of 700X behind 1 oz of shot, but it really leaves a mess in my 391 autoloader. It shoots soft and smokes 16 yard target with a full choke. Anyone with experience on a powder that burns the cleanest. I was thinking of trying WST next..

2. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Try e3. Very clean stuff.

Mr. Pump Gun thanked this.
  3. Mr. Pump Gun

Mr. Pump Gun Active Member

Although I've had mixed results I like tightwad. I don't shoot an autoloader but it seems to be good stuff.

4. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Well-Known Member

I have been told e3 is the cleanest and have 8 lbs on the reloading bench to try for a 16yd load in 1oz & 1 1/8oz at 1145FPS.
    For my Handicap load I use Green Dot with 1 1/8oz at 1200 FPS and this is clean load in STS hull.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Talc on your cheek

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Red Dot. HMB

mg1polo thanked this.
  7. dklees

dklees Active Member

WST won't burn very clean if you change recipes and load on the light/low end of pressure loads, or change out and use a cooler primer like regular CCI 209. Most slower powders will get dirty

I get better results (cleaner) when using win 209 or hotter like fed 209A and using the correct wads, tapered for tapered hulls, and straight for straight walled hulls. With that said, I have used WST in my autoloaders, following recipes, and it's still a little dirty. I like the scores/results and put up with cleaning.

There are too many others out there that are going to be cleaner. E3, Titewad, and Vectan AS or Prima-V should all be better at leaving less soot with 1 oz. Loads. What about Clays? Supposed to burn clean.

wadcrusher thanked this.
  8. novelty

novelty Banned User Banned

Extralite and Clay is good

9. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

I`d just about bet if you went to e3 that you would never look back.

10. lt0026

lt0026 Member

16.5 grains is on the anemic side for that 700X load. Get your pressure over 9000 and it cleans up.

Eddiefromoverlook and wadcrusher thanked this.
  11. skramr12

skramr12 Member

I run Clay Dot in my Auto's and am very happy how clean it is.

12. Jeff.Buchheit

Jeff.Buchheit Member

Clay Dot is really clean. But the biggest thing I found in most of the powders I have used is to make sure you use a load that creates enough pressure

nglitz thanked this.
  13. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

14. shotgun52

shotgun52 Active Member

In your case pressure is your friend. change your powder drops to 17.5 or 18gr. and Keep the pressures above 9000 psi and use a good primmer like a Winchester or a fed 209a
    and it should burn a lot cleaner.

15. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

^^This. It makes no difference what powder you use, within reason, all can be made to "burn clean." This only thing I will say that is different is instead of 9000PSI, look for a load that is more in the 10,000 +/- 500 PSI range. As SG52 said, pressure is your friend. Faster powders generally produce higher pressures with a lighter powder charge (read "more economical") than slower powders. I don't think primers will make that much of a difference except to say Rem primers are exorbitantly priced. Higher pressures result in a more complete "burn"reducing the amount of "ash" left in the barrel.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    wadcrusher thanked this.
  16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Claydot or Clays

Phil Berkowitz

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I would agree with several of the above posters about having high enough chamber pressure to get the powder to leave less residue. If you like the 1 Oz loads then try something like 18 grains of CLAYS or even your 700x will probably surprise you if you bump up the load. Red Dot and Promo are not thought of as 'clean burners' but they aren't bad when you get away from the really lite loads.

wadcrusher thanked this.
  18. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

You need more pressure(as said above) to get a clean burn. 700X is a great powder.

19. wadcrusher

wadcrusher Active Member

Vectan D20....amazing powder...super clean.....and yes...you need to get the pressures up....cleaner burn and helps seal the wad ...JMO

2llc thanked this.
  20. jroccasano

jroccasano Member

+1 on e3. Super clean. Unfortunately very hard to find in 4 or 8 lb containers lately