1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best powder for light loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tdhusker, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tdhusker

tdhusker TS Member

I'm loading some 7/8 oz for my 12 year old who is small for his age and shooting a 99-micro, which is a fairly light gun.AHe will be shooting all 16 yd next season on his team. I was looking around a bit and while I have been using Titewad, would there be another powder that would be satisfactory, considering recoil but most importantly, cost?

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Winchester AA Lite powder works well for what you are trying to achieve.

Remember, recoil is a function of muzzle velocity, shot load, and weight of the gun, and the powder you choose has no effect (regardless of what many people believe.)

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Alliant has a powder called "Extra Lite". If you can find it, it is also a good alternative. I use the Winchester AA lite as well. Cost wise, the Alliant powder has the edge.

4. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

Titewade is a great 7/8oz. powder. I use Alliant's E3. Much more consistant than Clays in 7/8oz. loads. If price is of primary concern, Red Dot is probably the cheapest amoung the fast powders.

5. Habib

Habib Member

timb99, "(regardless of what many people believe.) "

ha ha , "many" people get stirred up. powder makes no difference but weight of powder does. Fastest, lightest powder makes lightest recoil. AA Lite is very fast.

6. Txdirtbroker

Txdirtbroker TS Member

AA hulls ,cheddite primer. Claybuster grey wad. 16.7 gr solo 1000 7/8 oz shot
    A very light but effective load that I load for my wife.

Gary

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Cost wise, Promo is hard to beat. Getting a realiable extra light load with it for a small framed 12 year old might not be as easy. 1200 fps is about the lower end for velocity with Promo and 7/8 oz. Alliant's Extra Lite could get you down to 1150 or so with the possibility for decent consistency. It all depends on what hull, primer, and wad you wish to use. Winchester AA Lite can get you down in the 1000 fps neighborhood. Titewad used to be a very economical powder. I haven't bought any for some time, since it became more expensive and lost it's advantage. Better than 60% of my shotshell loading includes Promo as the powder. I can buy almost 1 1/2 jugs of Promo for about the cost of one jug of anything else. It just varies a bit from lot to lot, so you need to double check your drops with each new jug.

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I load WWLite for my grandson. He shoots only 16's also. When you're loading 13 to 14 grains it doesn't take many shells to make up for the cost. I like the load so much I started shooting them for the first shot in doubles. They will not set the triggers in the Perazzi but the mechanical trigger 3200 works fine.

Ajax

9. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Greendot seems to hit pretty soft.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Claydot is very fast, as is Red Dot and Bullseye. I have loaded many 3/4 oz 12 ga loads, and at the 16 they will break a bird hard and are easy on the shoulder of a young athlete.

Solo 1000 also seems to download well.

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

A 7/8 oz Promo load at 1200 fps is very cost effective and does not kick very much. Use 8 1/2's to get the pellet count up.

Like Quacker, Promo takes care of the bulk of my 12 ga needs. Light 1 oz to target 1 1/8. I never buy a component because it may save a few nickels a box. Promo is inexpensive but it works very well if you have a selection of bushings, and a scale.

I use AALite for 7/8 loads at 1000-1050 FPS. But these are not trap loads.

Don Verna

12. tdhusker

tdhusker TS Member

From this advice, I'll probably shop around a bit for some AA lite or Alliant Extra lite. I have a healthy supply of Win gray 7/8 wads and AA hulls.

Thanks.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Habib

<i>"powder makes no difference but weight of powder does. Fastest, lightest powder makes lightest recoil. AA Lite is very fast."</i>

While that is technically true, for shotguns the impact to the recoil of how much powder you use is essentially irrelevant.

The fact is that the difference between 20 grains of powder versus 15 grains of powder, when compared to 400 to 500 grains of combined shot plus wad leaving the muzzle, is functionally insignificant.

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Don Verna, can you explain to me why a l000 fps load is not a trap load if I wanted my son to shoot it??? Buy some Win. AA lite and go for it tdhusker. Break-em all. Jeff

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jeff,

The Winchester factory "low recoil-low noise" loads are 26 grams of shot at 980 fps.

Yes, you can certainly use them for trap. They hammer targets. I experimented with a reload like this for a while.

I think Don was just saying that HE does not use them for trap.

16. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

15.5g of Nitro100 is perfect for what you're looking for. Clean, minimal recoil, and is moderately priced. My powder of choice!

AndyH :)

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

Jeff,

A 7/8 Oz load at 1000 fps will not do the job under all conditions - therefore, it is not a trap load. To get the pellet count up, smaller shot is needed. Smaller shot loses energy faster than larger shot. And your starting velocity is already 16.7% below a light 1200 fps 7/8 oz load. (bear in mind that energy is proportional to the square of velocity - so a 16.7% reduction will reduce energy by 30.5% Spend some time shooting in 25 degree windy conditions and see how poorly the AA Featherlight load performs.

For a young shooter who is recoil sensitive it beats not shooting at all. I started my gf with 7/8 oz loads (1200 fps). I have shot good scores with those loads but I doubt I could shoot my current average (just under 97). Giving up one target/100 is not acceptable to me. If I could shoot like Leo, 7/8 @ 1000 fps might be OK but I would still be handicapping myself - so why do it?

Pattern density, and pellet energy breaks targets. Anyone who has dusted a bird wonders "Would that bastard have broken if I was shooting 7 1/2's, or 1250 fps, or a different choke?"

I shoot a 28 ga at trap for fun and break them. That does not make the 28 ga a trap gun. If the objective is to have fun, GO FOR IT - almost anything will do. But the AA Featherlight is not a trap load - and never will be.

Don Verna

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Don, I think you missed my point on this one. My point was and still is, that this is a trap load!!! Win. makes this this load and sells it to all shooters of clay targets. Now what might not be good for you, could still be good for others. If that's the only load the boy can shoot right now then I say go for it, weather its cold or hot. Let-him have his fun!!! A Few women might just like it as well. 7/8 oz is more than enough pellets to do the job or the scores in International would not have gone up when they switched to l oz. loads and then again when they switched to 7/8 oz. loads. That's why there are soooooooooooooo many loads for trap out there. Now everyone can shoot what he/she wants to. Break-em all. Jeff

19. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Jeff, International loads are typically in the vicinity of 1350fps which speaks well to Don's theory. I have also experimented with various 7/8 oz. loads and i get my best breaks and scores when the velocity is up around 1300fps with #8 shot. JRm

20. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. many years ago.. I worked on a trap range in upstate New York.. I brought my 15 grains of Red Dot.. with 7/8oz #8 shot..loaded in Winchester paper hulls.. Ljutic made a special 1 pc. mono-wad for Captain Henry Foxman for these shells.. The range shot about 4000 of them every day..They had little recoil..and were cheap to shoot.. That was in the late 60's... Nadine should remember Capt. Henry.. Saying that.. I've found the same load today..in a Remington or Winchester AA hull..with a DR XXL still works as well as anything..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best powder for light trap loads

best powder for trap loads
best powders for light 444 loads
light trap loads
trap shooting with light loads

what powder is best for light loads