1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Powder For Consistant Drops

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazzi_01, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

I have a reloading question here. I'm trying to get some opinions here on what powder gives you the most consistancy in weight drops. Has anybody out there done any kind of comprehensive testing between powders as to which powder gave the least amount of variations through their machines. I'm sure there is some that meter/drop more consistant than others. Please include what type of loader you use.

2. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Nobody?

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

My choice would be PB.

4. Bob M

Bob M Member

PB and 7625 give very good drops. Usually +- .1 grain for 10 rounds.

They are both expensive, but versatile.

5. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I agree totally on the boys about PB and 7625! If not for price, would load nothing but these powders! I have loaded both on Mecs and PW 800 + and nothing compares for me. Of course, I have only loaded red dot, green dot, promo, Rex II, solo 1000 and a host of others. By the way, solo is pretty consistent! Tom Rhoads P.S. Waiting for the boys to claim how great red and green dot are but I will beg to differ with them!

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

IMO, 700X for an extruded flake powder, and PB for a porous base powder. . Wayne

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would think that consistent powder drops are more of a function of the machine rather than the type of powder used in the machine.

Pat Ireland

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Pat,

I couldn't agree with you more. Nearly every powder that I've used will give me good consistant drops if I do my job correctly.

ss

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

PB or Clays the best. The worst are anything Alliant!!

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Flincher +1

It is a shotgun throwing a pattern. I cannot tell the difference between +/- .3 grains.

If you are loading near max pressures, and drop calls for 23 gr.; and your deviation is +/- .3 gr get a bushing that drops 22.7 or less. I do that for hunting loads that are pushing the upper limit.

For target loads at 9000-10,000 psi, if the recipe calls for 17 gr., I will find a bushing that throws within a few tenths of 17 (either way) and run with it.

I use a lot of Promo, so I live with some variation. At $74 a jug, it is an acceptable compromise.

Don Verna

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I get good consistant drops w/PROMO w/my MEC 9000H cycle times always the same and I keep my foot down on the pedal for a split second to allow for complete powder drops.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

I use a mec 9000G and found more consistent powder drops with a powder baffle. I use Promo or Red Dot

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

TiteGroup runs through my 366 loaders with amazing consistency, generally within the +/- 0.1g accuracy limits of my scale. I don't really load that powder much though, the big flake powders like CLAYS and Green Dot are my favorites. Typically I'll get +/- 0.3g variations with those powders, what ever effect that may have on ammo performance is academic for my purposes.

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I've been reloading 700X through a Hornady 366 for approx. 20 yrs. without any problems.

Curt

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I also use 700X in my 366 for over 25 years and am very well satisfied . I also never change my bushings and I use the same load for everything .

16. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I believe the use of a baffle in the power tube is most important as the weight of each drop is the same in the tube as the power is under the baffle and not sub jest to the weight of a full tube of power. With out one the weight on the bottom would be more and decrease as the power level goes down causing differences in power drops getting lighter as the power level goes down. Lots of shooter use anti static paper from a home dryer also in their power tube of course securing it so it does not get caught in the machine,

Buddy

17. maka

maka Member

I currently use Promo. I loaded clays for years. very consistant drops. What ever you decide, use a scale to check.

18. Landshark

Landshark Member

I use 7625 for my 20 ga skeet loads. I love 7625. Expensive, but worth it. I am seriously thinking about loading it for my 12 ga. I have some Clays I want to try first.

19. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You can't beat PB for consistency but both Red and Green Dots work great in my 9000H and my RCBS dispenser I use for small, accurate runs. That same dispenser has a terrible time with Clays in fact I'd say it doesn't work at all with it - but is OK with everything else I've tried.

Neil

20. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I agree with Pat Ireland.. I have the same experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best way to get consistant powder