1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Best Powder for a 3/4 oz 12 ga Load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pheasant1894, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pheasant1894

pheasant1894 TS Member

What is the best powder and weight for a good 3/4 oz 12 ga load?

I have tried to load a 3/4 oz 12ga load with Clays, Red Dot, Green Dot, and IMR 700x all with limited success. I am primarily using Rem STS and Downrange XXL-Pink wads. The main issues are (1) incomplete powder burn and (2) poor hull crimps due to low powder volume. Thoughts?
  2. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

Long shot I love it.
  3. fishkiller

fishkiller TS Member

When I loaded 3/4oz. I had good success with titewad. I used the faster end of 7/8oz. data with the same other components. Since you are using less shot load you need to use the hotter load data to build enough pressure for a complete burn.
  4. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

Since the pressure is so low I would stick with old style AA or Remington STS hull. Hodgdon lists 16.6 gr to 17.8 gr with a Federal 12SO wad. I would substitute the Winchester 12L grey wad as it is longer than the Fed 12SO.

Jim Skeel
  5. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

Another load I have been thinking of is 22 to 24 gr if IMR SR7625 with a Winchester 12SL pink or 12L grey wad in a old style AA or a Rem STS. Hodgdon lists lots of 24 gram (.85 ounce) loads with SR7625. The wad selection would depend on how much room the SR7625 takes up.

SR7625 does a great job in the 28 gauge so it just may be the ticket for 3/4 ounce 12 gauge loads.

Jim Skeel
  6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

If you can find some data Bullseye would be about the best choice. Probably have to call the powder trch folks for a load.

Jim
  7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

I'm changing thread, I justed looked and Win. Lite AA is not listed, But your STS hull, Win. AA Primers, Fed. 12SO wad, and Clays powder is listed. You needed to change up your primers and wad to handle the ultra low pressures I would guess. Powder drop numbers are at Hodgdon.com on their website. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff
  8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Red Dot worked fine for me. I started with Bullseye because it is theoretically a better match but it's so dense and you need so little getting the wad right was a problem. Even a 4100b was too short for a good crimp and Red Dot worked just great anyway so after the Bullseye was gone, that's where I went.

Neil
  9. Erik W

Erik W TS Member

Have a freind that likes Nitro 100 for ultralight loads. When I checked into it, data seemed pretty limited.
  10. ke4yyd

ke4yyd TS Member

Both Clays and Promo has worked fine for me. I have used Promo exclusively for over three years with 5/8 oz. Powder does not burn well but the residue is cosmetic and cleans out with one pass of a bore snake after the day's shooting.
    I use about 19 grs of Promo.
  11. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Member

I have used red dot with success but fire it up using a Fed. 209A. I also used cardboard filler wads in shotcup for desired crimp.
  12. acorange

acorange Member

Used to have good luck with red dot and 12SO Fed. wad before the Grey AA wad became available.
    Great load for a lite single shot but the 7/8 oz. load is so much easier to assemble.
    In the past couple of years there have been a couple articles on this in Shotgunsports and American Rifleman.
  13. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

I use a leather punch and cut out discs from the foam trays supermarket meats come on. Simple, cheap, and takes quite a bit off the kick out.
  14. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Active Member

I've been using Clays or ClayDot for five years. I load about 5000 3/4 oz loads a year, and use them for practice and my Grandkids. I really enjoy the load.

I use the gray wad for finished crimp height, and Fed. primers for a bit of added pressure. You can get plenty of recipes from Alliant techs.

Kip
  15. halfmile

halfmile Active Member

The meat tray thing works if you have a nice maple block and a punch.

Or you can buy 20 guage cards from Ballistic Products.

HM
  16. cp

cp TS Member

Has anyone used a Cheerio or two on top of the shot or in the cup before you drop your shot. What charge weight are you using with R.D or Promo? I am about to do some research on this project also. Thanks CP
  17. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

I have some extra 20 gage card wads - can send you some to try if you like...they are about an 8th of an inch thick. Fit right in your 12 gage wad. Want a handful?
  18. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Member

I finally got my hands on some Rex 0 from Grafs. IMO the best loading, best shooting for 3/4oz with DR XXL wad.

Kevin
  19. 4th. down

4th. down Member

18.5 grs. Claydot, 3/4oz. shot, CB0178-12 Wad, win primer in AA hull - approx. 1350 fps. and it will perform. Deadly at skeet, 5 stand and singles. Good sporting load out to 35 yds. and patterns tight. Inexpensive and high-performance load. Pressure needs to be up to 8,000psi. +- and this load gets it there.
  20. timb99

timb99 Active Member

Pheasant,

If LOW RECOIL is your ultimate goal here, look at 7/8 ounce loads with WAA Lite powder running at about 980 fps.

They sound like bloopers, recoil is like a .410, but they crush targets.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.