1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best powder 4 cleanliness

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

VERY true, I'm pretty sure that Clays is the cleanest of all of them, at least from the experience that I have...And I believe that Clay Dot from Alliant comes in a close second. And even though I don't have experience with them, I've heard that Red Dot and 700X are also pretty clean burning.

-Jollytrapshooter

2. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

+1 on the Clays

ol 12

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Winchester AA Plus. HMB

4. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

what about american select?

brett d.

5. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

You haven't seen clean till you've tried solo 1000

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

PB, American Select and e3 (tie), and Solo 1000 in that order. Clays is way down on the list. Everyone says Clays is clean because the residue is gray and hard to see against barrel steel.

To tell you the truth, none of them are clean as a swab down the bore will tell you. Some like the ones above make lots of evenly distributed microscopic particles. Some are just plain hard to see, and others like Red Dot make easy to see black clumps.

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I have found that most of the standard powders from Hodgdon are very clean shooting. I have shot Titewad, Clays, International Clays, and Titegroup. I prefer Titegroup over them all. More vesatile, economical, and still shoots clean.

I still load Longshot for my back-ups, but it is pretty dirty.

ec90t

8. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Buy a "Bore Snake", use it occasionally during a shoot and "cleanliness" becomes a non-issue. Focus on performance.

Mike

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Clays burns clean.

700X, a really good powder, I use a lot of it-------but clean? it ain't.

John C. Saubak

10. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Who cares? The residue blows out the end with each shot. The plastic is the only culprit in long-term barrel hygene (quality wads help). Use a factory bullit for the last shot and the barrel will be clean.LOL...merlyn...

11. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I vote for clays. I used to use green dot....nasty nasty stuff.

Also, a note on Clay Dot. From my experience I have found there to be alot of variation between drops with clay dot. Therefore, I load clays.

Forrest

12. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

I think Blue Dot will leave you clean..................

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Quite interesting that so many opinions abound about how clean different powders burn, but nobody has actually measured the powder residue produced. Looking down a barrel is not a way to measure powder residue. One of the "clean" powders mentioned above leaves residue in the form of very small granules that leave the barrel shiny, but if a white rag is pushed through the shiny barrel, it comes out black.

Pat Ireland

14. teleskier

teleskier Member

Pat....so in your opinion what is the cleanest powder for leaving the least amount of residue in any form? Mike

15. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I used a white rag of sorts once. That was the first time that I opened a new 12 gauge bore swab. After that the color never really changed....its pretty much black. I guess what I should have said is that the clays "appears" to burn cleaner.

Forrest

16. DB3006

DB3006 Member

Winchester Super Target burns very clean.

Dave

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

teleskier - I do not know, or really care, which powder is the cleanest. Both the cleanest and dirtiest powder deserved to be wiped out of the barrel now and then and it takes the same effort to get both of them out.

Pat Ireland

18. JRD

JRD TS Member

Solo 1000 is a pretty clean powder. Red Dot isnt that bad but its not at the top. And 700X, well that stuff was just plain dirty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.