1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best powder - 12ga?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smc968, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smc968

smc968 Member

I've been reloading 12ga mostly target loads, for a while but don't have much experience with anything but Clays and Red Dot. Most loads are for skeet, trap or sporting clays.

Any suggestions on best powders these days? Clean, low recoil are a plus (and that statement was probably a given).

Thanks!

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Please try a search! I'm sure you will find more to read than you can handle.

AndyH ;-)

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Define "best." Least expensive powder is Alliant PROMO, running around $75 per 8 lb keg. Cleanest tends to bring up powders like Alliant ClayDot, E3, and Hodgdon Clays. The best powder for 7/8 oz, high velocity loads is probably not the best powder for 1 1/8 oz and heavier loads.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You have been using two of the best powders out there.

If you are interested in making higher velocity handicap type loads then you should also try Green Dot and/or International Clays.

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I started out 30 years ago with Red Dot but it was dirty so I switched to 700X about 25 years ago and now that is somewhat dirty and the Red Dot has cleaned up . I have no problems with the 700X and to me it seems very consistant in 1 oz loads using 15.6 gr. and I now started up my 20 gauge press and I`m using 14.7-14.9 0f 700X pushing 7/8 loads and they seem very soft and some may want to try that for young shooters as why I began loading them for someone who`s daughter need a light load in her 20 gauge gun. I also tried them at the 23 yd line using plastic 12-20 inserts in my 12 ga and broke targets . That is like shooting a shotgun shell out of a 3 in. barrel because there is no choke involved doing that.

6. smc968

smc968 Member

I'm usually loading 1oz these days, although I do still use 1 1/8, and sometimes 7/8 as well. In terms of skeet loads I'm in the 1150-1190fps range usually.

I've never used Promo, but I've heard a lot of talk. I think that for my purposes I'm less interested in saving an extra few $ and more interested in cleaner more consistent powder (which isn't to say that Promo isn't like that... but just saying quality over price).

It sounds like Clays is one that people are recommending. 700x and E3 as well. ClayDot is just a mirror of Clays, right?

Thanks for the opinions, interested to hear any other ideas!

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Use any powder made near my home in Virginia by Alliant. We need the jobs. I am sure that some of the foreign countries where other powders are made also need the jobs, but my first concern is the USA.

Pat Ireland

8. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Pat,

Where is Hodgdon made?????
    Sandy Holehouse

9. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

smc968

I have used Clays and Claydot and there is a difference between the two. To get the same performance from my 1oz singles load I had to go up 1 bushing when using Claydot.

Rich in Indiana

PS I have been using Claydot for about 15months and really like it.

10. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Rich,

Not trying to be a smart alec,but why would you want to use Claydot if you have to use more of it for the same results ???

Sandy Holehouse.

11. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I second what Wolfram has to say....

If you want to use only 1 powder my vote goes to Red Dot.
    You can load 1oz. or 7/8oz. loads in Rem. or Win. hulls and then use Fed. or
    Fiocchi hulls for 1 1/8oz. loads with the same low pressures.

I have used Red Dot for 30 plus years with complete satisfaction.
    But I miss the old cardboard kegs that it used to come in. LOL

12. Erik W

Erik W Member

Used Clays for years. My "trusted supplier" just talked me into 8# of 700X.

13. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Sandy,

Even with the slight increase of powder required by using Claydot for my loads it is still quite a bit cheaper than Clays. About $29 cheaper thru my supplier (8lb keg).

Rich in Indiana

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

700X and Green Dot.

15. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Rich,

Thats a good enough reason for me.
    Thank you . Sandy.

16. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

700X works very well for me also, Acorange I still have a whole #8 carboard Hercules of Green Dot and a 3 lb. steel can of Red Dot, 1 lb. steel can Red Dot, and a steel can of Reloader #7 all unopened yet.

17. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

There is 11 load data recipes in the latest Hodgdon manual using 7/8 oz. with the Federal plastic target shell in 20 gauge loaded with 700X. In my older IMR manual there are 15 recipes using Rem, Win, snd Fed. hulls with 7/8 oz. Ljutic 111 knows what he is doing. Flincher 100 you are looking at new to the sport manuals.

18. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I too would question Lujtic 111's use of 700X in a 20 ga, since he uses 700X for his 12 ga load, I would think that his powder is current and not from 10 years ago, when there were a bunch of 20 ga loads. Looking at Hodgdon's 2008 (Hodgdon now owns and sells IMR powders)data for 700X most of the loads with a 20 ga Fed hull, all pressures runs over 11,000 psi with most loads using 14.5 grs.

Also, shooting a 1200 f/s 20 ga load in a 12 ga is not a good way to judge how much recoil will be generated in a lighter 20 ga gun.

If you want a light recoiling round, look at TESTED published 3/4 oz 20 ga loads at 1150 f/s.

Jason

19. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Flincher , there are many recipes for 700X in my manual and what makes you a judge on a low velocity reload that I have here ?? Didn`t you read what the reasons were for a 20 ga load for a young person so they don`t get the snot knocked out of them as they are trying to learn the sport . Her father can`t find any shell in 20 ga with less the 1200 fps and I believe this is around 1125 . The only ones he has left are 1330 fps . I hate hot loads in any gauge . May be the reason some flinch after years of HDCP loads ?? I let a shooter with a very light side by side hunting gun use 2 boxes Sunday and he said they are great with little to no recoil . I used the exact load a few years ago at sporting clays using my Winchester 1400 skeet gun and did very good and they ejected fine .

20. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I went and recalibrated my scale and found that I am dropping 14.4 gr. of 700X and I`m using RGC hulls with 7/8 oz of #8 shot and believe me when I tell you that a comparision of a RGC shell 1200 fps out of the box is much harder on the shoulder than what I have reloaded . Whatever those charts say or don`t say and what I come up with , I will stick with my reload as much lighter than can be purchased . I have no access to a cronometer so you will have to take my word that these are better than factory as a light 20 ga reload . You are right when you say the charts list Fed hulls for most all results but maybe they never tested this in a RGC or AA hull . I tried other hulls stamped Universal and they collapse in final crimp so I threw them all away today .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best 12 ga target powder 1 oz loads
best imr powder for 12 gauge shot gun
best powder for light 16 gauge skeet loads

best powder for reloading 12 ga

best reloading powder for 12ga
green dot powder loads for 12 ga reloading

reloading 12ga with green dot

what is the best powder for 1 ounce 12gauge target loads