1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BEST POINTING SEMI AUTO FOR TRAP?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i was talking to a friend and asked him what semi automatic trap gun did he feel was the best pointing gun for trap. he said the remington model 58 trap. he has shot with the winchester super x 1 trap gun, which he said is a great gun, rem 1100 speak for themselves, likes the new berettas semi auto's, but for pointability, he felt the rem 58 trap gun was the best pointing gun. what is your opinion?
    steve balistreri

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

My browning gold sporting points well for me, but my friends cant seem to shootwell with theirs?

3. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

If it feels good shoot it !(still might not work though)

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

It has to be a Super X M-1. They point just like a M-12 for me.

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Agree with shadow. The orig. SuperX1 has great balance and weight distribution. the Beretta's have always felt "barrel light" to me. The original 1100's had much better balance than the new 1187's, and better barrels. The orig.SX-1's had trigger problems and some other design flaws, and were expensive. They also shot too flat out of the box. Thats why they are now popular sporting guns. The aftermarket trigger jobs, stainless spring kits, and buffers have brought it back to life.

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

They all point good.
    They don't all fit everytone good.
    Your question has no answer.

7. chuckles

chuckles Member

I have never met a Beretta Semi Auto that didn't fit me like a glove and pointed like a dream.....and by pointing I mean that when I pull the gun into my shoulder and look out past the barrel end... it feels to me that it is pointing exactly where it should to break a clay or shoot a pheasant and no matter where I swing the gun to it seems to be pointing right where it should for a sight picture...

I have heard a lot of old timers say that a Winchester Model 12 has the same feel...and that is what Winchester tried to do with their Super X1 Semi Auto, (now out of production but becoming a cult phenomena)...

regards

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What he means is, which auto out of the box fits the best?

The proper answer is - try several and see for yourself.

Most autos are designed to fit as many people as possible. In my opinion, the Remington 1100 comes the closest to doing so. However, this strength is also its weakeness if you are not of the "average" build they designed it for. Another auto may fit better. The only way you can know this is to try them, or be prepared to modify the gun with an adjustable comb and buttplate.

9. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Im surprised at the amount of shooters on this web that still like the Super X 1. I bought one back in the early 80s to replace my model 12. I never shot mine well and didnt like the feel. It felt stock heavy to me. Maybe if I had it now a little tweeking could change my mind.

As for the factory claim that it was an autoloading model 12 I disagree. Many shooters I knew that had them traded rather quickly. As for quality I never had the first problem with mine, but keeping them clean was a necessity.

Gerald

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Gerald, I tend to agree. The Super X was not that great of a gun...actually, it wasn't even as reliable as an 1100 and it was a lot more expensive. It's martarized now because it's no longer in production. What a man can no longer buy, he must have!

Tron

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Super-X triggers were made of machined steel. 1100 triggers are made from reclaimed soda cans and Al Timney made alot of money selling replacements.

Winchester lost money on every SX-1 sold because manufacturing costs were too high. Most design issues were corrected over time but total production wasn't much over 90,000. I've owned dozens of each and I obviously prefer the SX-1!!

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "1100 triggers are made from reclaimed soda cans..."

Nonsense, they're made from the finest recycled airplanes.

14. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

All Auto's shoot like SHIT.Hey what is that Vandalia 1 of 300 worth? Bill

15. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I shoot my singles and autos rather well, some florks out there are simply not fit to shoot semi auto┬┤s.

Berettaman7

16. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

I would say the winchester super x 1 not the 2 or 3

17. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

In my opinion, good point-ability(?) includes a number of elements. They include how well the gun's stock dimensions fit the size and shape of the shooter and whatever shooting form he or she uses, the weight and balance of the gun along with the grip, forearm and rib design.

Obviously, there is considerable room for error when someone looks for the "best" gun. Many shooters are used to a shooting form (gun mount, body posture, stance) which, if a gun's stock dimensions allowed it, could be improved. If enough time has elapsed during the flawed form's use, it is even likely to feel natural or good.

For someone used to a flawed shooting form because of a lack of instruction or ill-fitting stock dimensions on guns used in the past, a gun with stock dimensions that would allow a correct shooting form to be used would probably feel very odd when used with a flawed form. Such a gun would be judged as not pointing very well.

So what? Point-ability is subjective as stated above.

Rollin

BadaBing11 thanked this.
  18. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

What Tron said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.