1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best POI for a beginner

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by schwabby, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schwabby

schwabby Member

I've returned to shooting after about 5 years off. I mostly shot skeet with a Browning 325 that shot pretty high. I've been shooting some trap with an auto with an add on rib and raised comb that I monkeyed together myself; it shoots 100% high. Just wanted to try a really high rib gun. My question is, what would be the ideal POI for a beginner? 70/30 or 80/20? With the setup I'm shooting I am hitting the angles well but the only way I can hit a straightaway is to try to stay way under it. Is that allright or am I going to screw myself up.
    Thanks, Steve

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'd suggest a lower POI and hold a higher gun.

3. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

50/50 - look right at the target and it breaks

Charlie

4. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

I help coach AIM kids and always recommend starting at 60/40. Once they get the hand of it their on their own and they usually got to 70/30.

Matt Ski

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Only you can determine what POI will (does) work best for you. Best way to test this is to set the trap for straightaways at station three and adjust your POI until you are getting the breaks you want. (if the largest piece(s) go up, you are shooting low, the largest pieces go downward, you are shooting high) Set POI so the breaks are nice and even. Then you are set whether it goes straight, or any angle. There is no "ideal" or "best" POI. It is determined by how you shoot, where you like to see the target, etc. Whether that point FOR YOU is 50/50 or 90/10 is really irrelevant, as long as it works for you and allows you to break them consistently.

Jim R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.