1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

best places to eat drink sparta area

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

what do you suggest? i hate biker type bars and shot and beer joints. lobster, shrimp and steaks will do fine with a good view. thanks

2. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Haw! You want roast quail & a snifter o' brandy with that?

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Earl, you have to give the Chinese restaurant "Dynasty" a chance. You don't have to order anything hot and it's the best food in town.

Neil

4. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

We had a very nice meal and they have a nice bar and outdoor lounge area as well at Carmichaels in Sparta. It is on the main road on the right side going into sparta from the grounds. If you get walmart, you have gone too far.

the chinese restaurant was also good like Neil indicated.

the pizza place that has gone in across from walmart in the strip mall is really good. we tried it during the Open.

Lorna

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Well I'm going to attend the Grand for a day or two this year. First time to a Sparta Grand. Unlike smsnyder I like biker bars and beer and shot places. Please give your recommendations for those.

God the memoirs of the Grand in Vandalia. The "Wild Goose Lounge" , "Buckhorn", "Living Room Lounge", "Bolt's Sport Bar", "Public House", etc......

Maybe the above are the reason I never won the GAH. Say it ain't so.

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Every night I would spend hour after hour in the above mentioned places trying to figure out why I shot crappy. Couldn't quite get the handle on it, hope things change in Sparta.

7. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

thanks guys and gals

8. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

The Mexican place didn't have a single Mexican person in it...all pasty-face whities...that's how you can always tell it's gonna suck...better stay away.

9. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The Pioneer's Cabin in Willisville (about 22 miles SSE of the WSRC) is worth the drive. Click on the link above (looks like they know we're coming again).

10. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Bar-B-Q, southside of town. 4 star. Will be packed. Best food in town. No view. Ribs and "straight line" frys. No EMT service, so be careful.

I believe the restaurant in the shooting facility is under new management. Was 3 star. OK at the 2007 Open. View of the road entrance we can no longer use.

Sparta ain't the Waldorf. But if you want overkill state police protection, the Grand is the best.

11. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

Have eaten at the Pioneer cabin when down there for deer hunting for at least the last 10 or so years. The family style chicken is great. Flower pot bread with strawberry butter is my favorite.

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

...but it's a different concessionaire, different owner, different food now.

Neil

13. juststartin'

juststartin' Member

Carmichael's & South Side Ribs get my vote. Already ate at SSR's, and they built an additional room for seating. Oh, and I scored a T-Shirt, so they'll get on-the-grounds advertising!!!

14. TX-MX

TX-MX TS Member

There was a vendor from a local joint in the temporary vendor area who had awesome burritos with different meats, etc. Can't remember the name but best food we had all week. The steak house on the right on the way into town had a decent greasy spoon buffett and a very friendly owner and the Mexican place in the strip center was pretty good. The on-site food in the main bldg. was terrible and way overpriced; will take some convincing and word of mouth about the new vendor to get me to go back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.