1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

:Best place to live to shoot trap (revisit)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Where is the best place to live to shoot trap? I'm talking about Clubs, Clubs, Clubs. Shooting at good prices, with some good good calcutta's, meat shoots, and throphy's. Where shall we all move to get the best? Where is the action?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There are many places where you can find a lot of shooting.

Climate, however is another thing.

Cost is a factor too. California has the best weather but the most costly shooting.

We have lots of places to shoot, and the cost is good, but the winters are kind of brutal. (NE Wisconsin)

looks like some kind of compromise has to be made. I would lean toward Missouri for climate, but don't know about the shooting except Linn Creek.

We have league shooting 4 nights a week at 6 different clubs all within 40 minutes. Registered only at a couple places.

Yes, definitely a compromise based on what you consider most important.

HM

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

HM, you shooting at Brown County on Saturday ?

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Only one answer....PA

Ed Yanchok

5. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I live in Western NY near Rochester and there are at least 15 clubs within a 45 minute drive of my house. Clubs usually charge $2.50 or $3.00 per round for practice. We have our Inland Waters winter league with 10 member clubs and about 150 shooters and the same thing with the Brown Jug league in summer. Winters are pretty harsh, but we are hearty people who enjoy the good prices and good targets all year round.

Chris

6. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I would have to say SWNY lots of clubs in the area and PA is also very close .

7. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

Last Week I was privledged to be in Canton Ohio to see Dennis DeVault for a new Infinity and Stock Fitting. While there, he took me to two different clubs, The picture with the snow was one of them. He said there were about 6 different clubs in the area and they shoot 4 or 5 times a week mostly at night shooting Buddy shoots, or Protectors they call them. This week I'm back home in LA and took another picture, 85 degrees today, the first day of daylight savings time. In LA, we have a city of approx. 12 million or so, but only one club near and really dont shoot as much as those guys do in Ohio. So which is better? The weather here is the best, but the club shooting in Ohio was very impressive and a great bunch of people.

[​IMG]

Ohio 03-01-08

[​IMG]

Los Angeles 03-09-08

8. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

California's central valley. Tolerable weather...many places to shoot. Kern, Tulare, Kingsburg, Fresno, Sun Mountain, etc. Looney state politics and overrun with illegals, though. Can't wait to retire in PA.

9. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

If you like the four seasons, Pa. is hard to beat. Cold in winter, and hot in summer, but not always. Clubs are everywhere within an hours drive. Lots of jobs to be had in suburbia, and property prices are reasonable just outside suburbia. Still has small game, deer, and bear hunting. Governor Rendell is extremely democrat, and will likely be screwing all Pa. sportsmen as soon as the election is over if a dem gets in, as he's loyal to Philadelphia. I forsee it becoming an unfriendly to gun owners state if half the Pa. sportsmen don't get their heads out of their backsides and vote Rendell out. The grand is an extra 500 miles away, so that makes it harder to attend. Looking forward to green grass, flowers, and leaves on the trees. Very soon!

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

To All: Stay away from Delaware...

We have no sales taxes, real estate is very reasonable, jobs are avilable for those that want to work and abundant recreational things to do. We only have one active club left, but many within a 1/2 hrs. drive. Elysburg (PA) is only 2-1/2 to 3 hrs away. Weather is moderate with little or no snow. Pleanty of leagues (spring, fall & winter) and non-registered shooting (meat shoots, etc.), good freshwater fishing and within an hour to the ocean from most parts of the state.

Curt

11. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Question for Tom Lieb, I'm going to see Dennis for my new Infinity, how does the Infinity compare to the gun you are holding in the LA photo, also did you get several different length pads, I don't think you'll be shooting in that heavy style clothing in LA---Phil

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

PA and Western NY seem to be the places to visit. I had a friend move (retire) to PA from So. Calif. for the reasons stated.

13. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

SPARTA, ILLINOIS.......................Roger

14. MR HARDWARE

MR HARDWARE TS Member

Wenatchee, Wa. four seasons all pretty mild, 4 gun clubs within 20 miles hundreds of great people shoot trap in the area. Practice $2.25 to $2.50 around. Both PITA and ATA shoots held in the state so can shoot register birds almost every weekend.

15. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

magnumshot, what routing are you using between Vandalia and Sparta? It's 318 miles as the crow flies.

Buz

16. richko

richko TS Member

Central Fl--5 trap clubs within an hours drive. Including Silver Dollar!

17. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Other than the long Winters the Boston,MA. area is host to many trap/skeet/shooting clubs--Too many to list(at least ten) and N.H. is 45 minutes away.MinuteMan as well as Danvers Fish/Game have good facilities and are open with staggered schedules so one is able to shoot almost every day!!

18. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

Chatbrat, The gun I am holding in the LA picture is a Crown Grade K-32 with a 32" unsingle barrel. Ive had this gun over 35 years and it has a certain "feel" to it for me. Dennis' Infinity is a totally different "feel", seems like a great gun and is infinitely simpler in design and mechanics than the K32. The real difference will be in the stock fit. Dennis spends a lot of time with you fitting the gun and then you get to shoot it with the "try" stock he makes.
    Tom

19. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Any place they put targets into the air. That is unless the wind is not over 30 mph, or for a sissies, no rain. - Jim

20. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I have to chime in with all the other Pennsylvania shooters. I have shot in a lot of places around the country, and there is no comparison for being in this area. Tons of clubs and club shoots. I have a list of over 20 clubs at which I can shoot each week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best place to trap shoot