1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Pistol Brass Tumbler <$100?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldGoat, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Is there one? Looking at high ratings of Hornady M-2 @ $80 - $90. Experienced opinions appreciated. Best Regards, Ed

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Ed,

Get the Lyman Turbo 1200 with built in media seperator. $94 or less depending on where you buy it. Here it is at Midway but check Graf &Sons.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/450403/lyman-turbo-1200-case-tumbler-with-auto-flo-110-volt

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have tried most of them, the Dillon works better and is much quicker.

I have a Lyman that takes overnight at its best, and does not do a stellar job unless one lets it run a day. The Dillon takes several hours.

I have commercially manufactured ammunition in more than one instance, and like fast, top of the line gear. Time is money, unless one is retired.

I am old enough to retire, but not ready to take a break just yet. LOL

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Any of the Lymans will fit your needs. Dillons are a step above.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I use a Lyman 1200 Turbo with corn cob media and a little liquid polish. The device cleans anything I put in it in just a few minutes. Price: about $70.00. I even tumble my homemade shot in it with a little graphite. Works great for that as well.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have the Hornady M-2 and the lyman 2500 pro. I bought the Lyman for the bigger capacity. The Hornady is clearly the better quality of the units.

In 2011 I had an online brass business. My tumblers ran 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from Febuaury 2011 until I had my 1st heart attack in January of 2012. I would guess that would be a lifetime of use for normal people. The Thinner, more brittle plastic on the Lyman is showing deterioration, but wipe the dust off the Hornady unit with a damp rag, and it cannot be told from new. Unless you need to polish 1400 pieces at a time, the Hornady is the better product.

7. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I used a Lyman years ago and it was just ok. I really like my Dillon, it is very quick to clean.

8. grntitan

Thanks for the heads up on the Lyman that I suggested above. I have a Hornady myself but coveted over the built in seperator on the Lyman where you pull the plug, turn it in and it seperates the brass from the media. I guess I'll stick with my Hornady and homemade brass/media seperator.

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Thanks to all the fellows who replied. Excellent, appreciated thoughts. Wound up at the local Bass Pro armed with my $10 discount coupon and bought a Lyman 1200 "turbo?" which has both a convenient on/off switch and a portal or drain access which empties/separates the media. Your comments helped make an informed decision. This site is the place to go for knowledgeable/experienced shooters. Best Regards, Ed

10. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

While we're on the subject, anyone know if the sonic liquid cleaners work better on brass than the tumblers? I use the big Dillon tumbler right now which takes about 2 hours loaded with .45 ACP brass. I read an add that the sonic type will clean brass in 15 minutes, is that true? And how do you dry the brass after it comes out of the bath?

11. grntitan

I think those sonic cleaners do clean fast but they don't polish like the media does. I like my brass shiney.

12. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I've gone through two Dillons, with minimal help from the factory. My RCBS is more than twenty years old and still going strong.

I love their loaders, but I wouldn't ever waste my money on a Dillon case cleaner again.

Tony

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

30 years, 3 belts and one motor. Still going strong. They have models from 100 to 200 bucks. the one shown is the 15 pound, which I have.

Got it for a gift, and no complaints.

HM

14. kenf

kenf Active Member

halfmile has got it, along with the stainless media and you can't go wrong- brass looks brand new- inside and out.

15. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Halfmile, I've been using that tumbler since 1987. Replaced 3 belts in that time. Does a GREAT job. Load it with brass, plug it in and go do something else for a while. Come back, seperate the brass and media and enjoy loading those bright shining shells. I couldn't be more pleased. I tried 2 viberators before getting this one. No compairson.

16. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

More important, is the media you use. Lyman green corn cob with a bit of brasso polish added speeds things up.

Chuck

17. Proofdoubles

Proofdoubles Member

Thumbler's Tumblers are the best (wet or dry) but are expensive. For a brighter and faster dry media use walnut (dusty).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.