1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Pheasant # shot load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capt jay, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capt jay

capt jay Member

Have to load some shell for a Pheasant hunt best # load

Thanks

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

A lot of South Dakota boys ( I no longer live there) will tell you to use #4's It saves a lot of runners and normally the shot clears the bird so you wont be eating any lead

3. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

I like #5 shot.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

1 3/8oz. #5 copper plated!!

5. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

#4 or #5's for Wild Late season SD birds and just about anything if your hunting game preserve birds behind pointers....

6. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

#5 nickle or copper

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

5's

Plated is unnecessary, and in my experience doesn't do anything except cost more money.

Chilled shot with a copper wash is no more effective than plain chilled shot.

8. atadams77

atadams77 Member

i used to use winchester copperplated 3" 1.5 oz turkey loads. i don't remember the shot size. Course i was after wild birds (using no dogs) no game raised birds, which tend to break early. I could wait until everyone was done missing and then still have success taking the bird.

9. len loma

len loma TS Member

Here in Wisconsin I have dropped birds at un-believeable distances with #4 shot. It does the trick on late season wild and released birds that become become educated to run like heck and flush out far when they hear you coming. It does not drift much in wind,and KOs them hard. Shoot well, Len

10. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

While I am not a fan of Copper washed shot, I swear by nickel plated for flyers. I have 26 birds in the bag this year and half of them would not be there were it not for #4 or #5 Fiocchi Golden Pheasant. There is no question that nickel shot penetrates better, and at longer distances.

Late season and hunted birds can put some serious distance between them and your barrel. If you're hunting without a dog, go with bigger plated shot, for sure. Finding them where you dropped them makes the hunt much more satisfying.

I'm scheduled to hunt on a farm that requires steel shot, again this year. I sure wish someone would make nickel plated steel. I picked up some Golden Pheasant steel shotshells for this hunt, but it's just not the same.
    Good hunting.....
    IME,
    Kip

11. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

If your using steel just increase your shot size....Use #2's...That will offset the difference in mass....

12. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

It is easier to trip Martin in the clubhouse.

Just kick your leg out and trip him!

Kenny Uhlbeck aka BudsterXT

13. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

In 12 Ga, number 4 is it. I gave up on duplicating the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant with 1 3/8 oz #4 @ 1250 fps. They do the job near and far. Just my experince in KS, IA, and SD.

14. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

My dad was the best pheasant shooter I ever saw. He shot a '97 riot gun with Winchester magnum 6's over dogs.

As a blocker he shot his 3" 870 magnum with 1 7/8 of 6's for the first shot followed by the same load of 4's. Many times I saw him shuck that first 6 out on the ground for a long shot.

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, but those 3" 1 1/2 - 1 7/8oz loads don't move as fast as a 1 1/4 oz, 3 1/4 dram load of #4's or 5's going 1330 fps. You got to hit'em or those big slow loads are useless and the recoil will rock you. A good 1 1/4oz load patterns better than that heavy stuff. Try it on the pattern board at 45-50 yards.

16. 3357

3357 Member

1 1/4 oz of #5s at 1330fps or better will kill any pheasant within a realistic range.

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I just bought a box of Winchester 1 3/8ths ounce copper #5s 1450fps $22.00 box

Long range shootoffs in buddy shoots, they work, no Longshot Loads listed.

Gander Mountain

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The kill zone on a pheasant is a bit bigger than a clay target, and if the bird is that far (50 to 60 yards) you have no business shooting at it anyway.

Respect the game.

19. rsikole

rsikole Member

I agree with Setterman here.

I don't think you can go wrong with plated (either copper of nickel) #5's in 1 1/4 oz or 1 3/8 oz. There are 2 advantages to plated shot:

1. The shot is harder so there are fewer pellets that get deformed and less deformation. Fewer deformed pellets means fewer flyers and a more consistent pattern.

2. The plated shot is smoother and tends to drag fewer feathers into the meat, therefore hitting the bird harder and penetrating the meat better.

I like about 34 - 38 grains of Blue Dot, depending on your other reloading components to give you about 1330 FPS, or a 3 3/4 dram load.

Otherwise, load #4's or #6's and you'll still have a great load!

Rob

20. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Over the last few years I've really become a fan of 4s and 5s on pheasants over 6s. The killing power is noticeably better, fewer cripples. It's nice when you're blocking a field and the birds just start dropping dead.

For me, the Remington Nitro Pheasant is the way to go. Stones them birds!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best load for pheasant hunting

best pheasant load you ever used shotgunworld
best pheasant loads
best shot load for pheasant
best steel shot load for pheasant
british pheasant shooting loads
pheasant loads shotgunworld
pheasant shooting shoot loads