1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BEST PATTERN BOARD I'VE EVER SEEN

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tsosin, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

I had the pleasure of shooting at the St Joe Valley club this week. It is a top notch layout in northeast Indiana and very welcoming to a new shooter. In any event, they had a pattern board made of 1/4 inch steel plate mounted gun high on two 4x4's with a 1/4 inch hole drilled in the middle for sighting. They use a paint roller to cover the surface with white lithium grease. Stand back, shoot, examine the board and re-grease. I patterned three chokes in about 10 minutes, and tested my rib adjustment for future reference.

I'm sure that you experienced shooters have seen this before, but for me it was new, and I can't imagine why every club doesn't have one. The cost is minimal, and compared to paper it's the easiest system that I've seen so far.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Every gun club should have one, tsosin, just as you say. But it only becomes perfect if there is some sort of bench-rest available so you can see what's happening for sure. And there should, in that case, be a second aiming point straight out from a seated tester.

Neil

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Neil- what do you mean about a second aiming point? another sheet or ?

thanks

Gene

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jon, both shotgun and rifle shooters make that same mistake. Not having the gun elevated high enough above the table on sandbags to get a proper sight alignment is the culprit.

My buddy and I built one with heavy ga. sheet metal with rollers at the top and bottom to wind a new pattern paper into place thru guides. Bought the widest news paper end rolls for our paper supply, cheap. Only place the paper is exposed is in the middle. We keep a can of black spray paint behind the frame to dot a new aim point. Works really slick for doing a lot of pattern work. Hap

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Yes that makes a great patterning board for general use.
    CAUTION!! DO NOT USE IT FOR YOUR 13yd. POI work. If you do,you will be also testing your glasses for impact protection. Take my word for it, one shot quickly sent me back to the paper for the POI. LOL. Bob H.

6. chrisg

chrisg Member

One thing most people forget is that a pattern board is only 2 dimensional, while a shot string is 3 dimensional, therefore it does not tell you a whole lot about hitting your target or not. So although it may not hit right where you point, you can still break the bird with the depth of the shot charge.

7. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

The best pattern board I've ever seen was a rig, essentially a long trailer, with a 4' x 20' length of paper, towed behind a car. Quite amazing. Due to stringing, the patterns would be about 3' high by 10' long.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

smokerz, I haven't seen that rig and results. How fast was the trailer going to get the shot string to spread out to 10 feet horizontally? Where can we see that? Hap

9. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

smokerz,that must have been the first time they checked a shot string and if I remember right,they had to aim at the back window of that old station wagon to get the lead right to get all the shot on paper. Boat trailer,station wagon,42mph.,40yds.,nervous driver. (as I remember the article) GOOD LUCK

10. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Shady creek remembers the details better than I do.

11. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

I believe that was Mr. Bill Brister, who worked for, or was a consultant to, Briely. If memory serves, it was his wife driving the car.

12. harleyhog

harleyhog TS Member

Used to shoot there a lot, good club. Previous Mgr was killed on his Gold Wing ( Tom Bassett)

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

It's a great club. Tom Basset was the manager killed. I beleive he hit a deer while going to work on his Gold wing. Indiana has made a lot of money available to the club and they have done it right.

14. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Gold E is correct. Here's a reference to Brister's book. I don't own that book, but it must be where I saw those shot string patterns.

Friday, September 16, 2005
    Patterning methodology
    I'll start this post by saying that I am not an expert on patterning shotguns. If you want expertise, buy Bob Brister's excellent book "Shotgunning: The Art and the Science." Bob literally shot and analyzed hundreds of patterns, and even talked his wife into towing a 16 foot long target board with the family car while he shot at it to better understand the effects of shot stringing.

15. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Can't find any photos, but the link above is a good article about the effect of shot string.

16. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Those long shot strings Brister found seem hard to believe, however I've recently seen that there is a great difference in the velocity of individual pellets.

I had done some fune tuning on the choke in my pheasant gun, and wanted to put on the board. Rather than drive out to the club to use the pattern board, I set up a sheet of 3-ply, 3/8" plywood in the back yard, and fired a load of 6s at it from 30 yards.

About half the pellets shot right through all 3 plys. About 40 % stopped deep in the second or in the third ply. About 20% stopped deep in the first ply or shallow in the second ply. Some stopped well within the first ply, and some of them are just about flush with the front surface. There must have been a quite large difference in the velocity of the pellets slowest to fastest.

17. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Pulll -

I was patterning a choke I'd opened to about IC @ 30 yards, and only drew a 30" circle. All but 5 or 6 pellets were withing the circle. Pattern on the front was reasonably uniform all across the circle. Looking at the back of the board, I don't see any diference in distribution. The pellets which penetrated all 3 plys were random within the 30" circle. They were plain lead, Rem game load, 1 oz.

18. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Here's a thought, pulll.

If you're interested in measuring velocity of individual pellets.

I think you could get some nice uniform wood, say clear white pine, 3/4" thick, if necessary glueing several 1"x12" together side by side. You could then shoot it; I don't think anything 6 or smaller could shoot all the way through, then measure the penetration of each pellet with a depth gage. From that someone smarter than I could calculate individual pellet striking energy/velocity.

19. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

We have a grease patterning board at our club (St Charles Sportsmen's Club in Elburn, IL) and it is very nice. However, it's biggest drawback is that you cannot take the paper down and take it home for future reference. Nor, in my experience, can you take digital photos of the results in the grease - the results simply don't show up well on a digital photo.

As a solution, one of our members vertically hung a couple of 2x4s with hooks on top of the grease so we can staple paper to the boards, shoot and take the paper home. If you don't want to use paper, you simply take the boards down.

Be careful - that grease is messy stuff.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

20. bigben1

bigben1 TS Member

Kolar has you shoot off a rest while standing at the end of a walk in tunnel. 4' wide paper pulled down tight from a roll.
    I agree, patterns & poi only, but that gets you heading to "smoke"! I personally do not think many birds are broken with the end of the shot string, 12-1250 is rolling right along, bird does not travel far from front to rear of the string.
    I was lol bout the box car, maybe thats why there are so many painted..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.