1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Pattering Distance for 16's

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Browning Guy, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Guy

Browning Guy TS Member

I know that this is a simple question and has been discussed many times here, but I don't feel like searching. What distance should you pattern your gun for 16 yard targets?

Thanks, B.G.

2. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

It probably would depend on what distances YOU break the target. Do you hit it right out of the launcher or at the apex of flight or when it is falling?

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

About 35 yards.

A little more if you shoot slow. A little less if you shoot quick.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

timb99 hit the nail on the head...

Jay

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It depends on what you want to learn. More specifically, how much effort you are willing to expend to learn something that probably won't ever get you a bird.

If you have some bargain shells you worry about, then shoot a couple of patterns at 35 yards with them and a couple more with the best from Federal, Winchester, Remington, or Fiocci. If they look pretty much the same, you have your answer. And if they don't, well then you have your answer as well

If you want, however, to compare 7 1/'2 and 8, then just shoot 8's, they are better. And 8 1/2's better yet, but you'll never see it in the score.

If you want to choose between brands of choke or something like that, commit to a lot of time and money before you start and understand that at the end, you will most likely find no difference (except for original Invectors.)

Neil

6. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

I know this doesn't address the patterning yardage question but I agree with Neil's last comment. If you start patterning how will you know it time to stop. . . . It can be an unending journey without a strong conclusion at the end especially for 16 yard issues. Finding point of impact is a better use for your time at the patterning board.

Just my opinion.

Buckeye

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.