1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Pad Shape?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 20yard, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20yard

20yard TS Member

What do you like as best pad shape? Trap, modified trap or Rocker Style? Rocker feels like best fit to me, because of rounded inside edge and small toe, but maybe allows for less consistent mounts as it settles in to pocket.

2. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

I use kickeez standard trap but all depends on your physical build and where your pad hits your shoulder. I install more trap style pads than any other 5-1 even for skeet shooters. Todd

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I don't know. When I tried the convex shape, I thought it was great but after a while I did get sloppy with my mounts. That problem should be blamed on me and not the shape of the pad. When I push the gun into my shoulder, the convex shape fits the natural shape of my "shoulder pocket". I now use a concave shape and probably will not change until I shoot another embarrassing handicap score.

Pat Ireland

4. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Same as Pat - concave gooey - helps keep my mount consistent if I do my part.

Regards

5. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I think I'll stay with my modified trap shape based on your feedback, maybe grind round the inside edge, it is slightly cancave and has pitch built in which I understand from Rollin's book is needed. Thanks Again

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

At one time or another, I guess I have liked them all. I have a whole sack of recoil pads. For me, the toe of the concave (meaning it has a dent) ones will start to leave a mark on me on a long weekend shoot. The convex (like a gooey or rocker) shape pads are very comfy but I find there are other ways to pitch a gun. the concave ones with the tank treads pinch me unleass I wear a vest or a shirt with quilted shoulder pad. For the last couple of years, I have been shooting a flat (or nearly flat) pad. I like them.

I really don't know of a concave, modified trap style pad (with built in pitch). Rocker and Gooey pads have built in pitch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best style pad for trap shooting