1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best pad for consistent gun mount?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by just_bob, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just_bob

just_bob Member

I know that it's a personal thing and with enough gun mounts you get better.
    I've been using Pachmayr T550 Deluxe Trap Pigeon Face.
    I thought that the concave shape would sort of center itself.
    Not convinced it's working.
    Survey says----

2. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Flat works best for me for the last 32 years. Did try a curved Morgan pad early in my career, but that was not the way to go for me.

Tom Strunk

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I use the Kick EZE all purpose grind to fit pad. It really is a personal preference thing though. Everybodies shoulder pocket is different and how they mount the gun to their shoulder.----Matt

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

What ever works for you. That's why they make different styles. I personally like the flat #300 Kickeez pad.

Ed Yanchok

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I use a rocker and mount the gun high and toe first. If it don't feel good I re-mount. I use only a gooey pad 'cause they stay where you put 'em.

Buz

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

First.. get a pad that you think fits your pocket pretty good.. Wear what you wear shooting.. Now.. mount the gun as you normally do.. and have a friend,wife.. whatever.. put a piece of tape (paper tape works well).. on your shirt,vest.. whatever you wear when you shoot.. at the top and bottom of the stock.. Now.. repeat a few hundred times a night.. in a mirror.. note where the gun is on each and every mount.. After the first 40 or so.. look every few mounts.. Continue daily till its always the same...

7. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Ed is right! Whatever works. You owe it to yourself to try the Packmayer XLT Ultra Soft Magnum Trap Pad. Phil Sims recommended it to me and it is an unbelievable pad with very low recoil and excellent comfort. You can see it on Pachmayer site.

Good Shooting.

8. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Another vote for the XLT Ultra. I have the XLT mounted on both of my 101 SBT's.

Those reputed hard-kickers shoot soft for me now!

Kiv

9. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I tried several; trap style, flat and after a few years found the gooey rocker style gave me best mount and comfort shooting. Not what I would have expected and why I didn't start there but once there wouldn't change for anything.

10. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Trapdude's gooey rocker for me too.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Since my double shoulder replacements my arms are not as strong as they once were. The Kickeze rocker has helped me shoulder the gun more consistantly because I don't catch it on my clothes on the way up.

12. Barry

Barry Member

I think the best pad for a consistent mount is the Kick-Eeze concave trap pad. It reduces recoil better than anything I have tried and I've tried them all.

I'll never understand why anyone would use anything other than a concave pad for consistent trap mounts. I love these pads.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

The convex shape (rocker style) will match the shape of our shoulder pocket best. The concave style seems to give me a better reference for consistent mounts. I have used both and I really don't know which one I prefer.

Pat Ireland

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I had that problem with my flat Kickeez until I read Rollin's book and found out I needed to raise my "trigger elbow" a bit. After I did that, the occasional mismount went away. Good luck.

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Concave and flat pads are hard on my collar bone.

Rocker pads (reshaped for a good fit) are the best for me.

MK

16. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had more inconsistent gun mounts with the convex Gooey pad. Many many years ago I had the rock hard concave Morgan pad without the benefit of a pad adjuster that would rotate and I ended up sort of shooting off the ball of my shoulder joint instead of the pocket. I now have a slightly concave thick Kickeez pad with an adjuster that rotates to fit the pocket and it stays put. The toe is rounded and I have sufficient pitch to avoid a sore spot in the shoulder pocket.

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

18. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Pachmayr XLT on old BT-99"s sure beat the brown "White Line" pads of the 70's. They're super soft as opposed to rock hard, and have a little concave to them to fit the pocket perfectly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.