1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best over and under for doubles only?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gunnerandbabe, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

MX 8 with 31.5 in barrel's Can't go wrong.

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Well your first problem would be with a 30" gun. Your second problem would be Release/pull triggers............my guess you'll filp between a C and B doubles shooter.

GS

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have great luck with my K-80 set up with Sporter flat rib 30" barrels.

For dubs only, I like the first barrle a little high, and the second barrel pretty flat. The Krieghoff barrel is easy to regulate this way.

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I hope you find one. In the past two years I've bought a Citori Trap, Citori Ultra XT, Remington 3200, and a Citori Plus. Came the closest so far with the Plus but traded it away for a Kolar unsingle. Looking to buy a set of O/U barrels for it and start all over. Doubles are just to much fun not to shoot them, but finding something that works for you is the tuff part. Maybe now I'll keep it long enough to learn how to use it.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Mx8 or Browning Broadway.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Phil,
    With that choice you should have no trouble staying in D class for the rest of your natural life. HMB

7. alf174

alf174 Member

k80 is the best choice hands down

8. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

" Well your first problem would be with a 30" gun. "

Correct. It is darn near impossible to break a clay target shooting a gun with 30" barrels.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Ted Smith was selling a Perazzi MT-6 for a friend a couple of years ago. It had 31.5 inch barrels, a high monte carlo stock, and a release-pull trigger. I think that it had Wilkinson barrel work as well. The gun was like new and it was only $ 2,000. I would have bought it myself but the stock was too high and I didn't want the release-pull trigger.

He had the gun for sale for a long time. I don't know if the gun is still available.

10. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

The best gun I ever shot doubles with was my Browning Citori Plus, 30" barrels, ported. Steve

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I just shot a couple of registered 99's today - numbers three and four this week - with my trusty Ithaca-era MX-8. I bought it from Frenchy 20 years ago. It's some doubles gun, off and on at least. It's a 32 though, and so not really suited to the game.

Any gun which shoots about straight will do fine. You are likely to buy and sell several before you find one, though. Unless you test what you get to see if it is shooting right, you are wasting a lot of time and money.

Neil

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You need a gun whose POI matches your style of shooting. Are the birds both rising when you shoot them? Or is one rising and one falling? Are you fast or are you slow? Do you trap the first bird and shoot right at the second bird? Can you adjust the POI of your gun? Both barrels or just one? Just some of the things to think about when choosing a doubles gun. Personally I like the Remington 3200. HMB

13. 99er

99er TS Member

Phil

If you look on the forum now there is a man that has f/s a browning citori xt with 30" barrels. His asking price is $1500. Not a bad deal as a new one is about $2300.

His email address is,wittum@hotmail.com

Dave.

14. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

You might look at the Browning Lightning, Indiana Gun Club has one listed for 1205.00 that looks very clean. Original chokes f/im. 30in barrel's. I have one i shoot live birds and sportin with. Like it fine. Just a suggestion. Roy

15. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

You might look at the Browning Lightning, Indiana Gun Club has one listed for 1205.00 that looks very clean. Original chokes f/im. 30in barrel's. I have one i shoot live birds and sportin with. Like it fine. Just a suggestion. Roy

16. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Neil and otnot, Just keep mentioning the old Ithaca and Winchester imports in less than reverent tones. Don't let out the secret that those guns had more hand work and detail than the new ones. That way they will keep coming up for sale at reasonable prices. Regards, Jake

17. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

hmb, Just wondering what class you'd be in the rest of your natural life if you shot an old Charles Daly O/U? Steve

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Steve,

I don't have a clue. I never shot a Charles Daly. The next time I look in the dumpster at the club, I'll see if there is one in there. HMB

19. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

hmb, I think the first sentence of your reply pretty well sums it up. Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap doubles only