1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best oil for parts?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

What oil do you suggest for parts to prevent rust etc? Thanks

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

There is a CRC preservative spray, if you don't need an oil RIG grease is good,in the marine industry I used Corrosion Block when we lived on a boat.

Phil Berkowitz

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Clenzoil when only the best will do .... I have used it for years and do not trust anything else on my guns, wood, and or leather products ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

WPT- Preventing rust is accomplished by putting a barrier between the gun metal and other molecules that will accept electrons. Do you really have any data that compares the electron flow from the gun metal to an electron acceptor under various condition. This would be necessary to conclude that Clenzoil is the most superior product for rust inhibition.

Pat Ireland

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Ballistol!

MK

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil and haven't detected any rust on any of my body parts. HMB

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Pat,

I can go one better than that, I have proof sitting in my safes ... When only the best will do "Clenzoil" and the Clenzoil people have any and all the data you would want ... I do not keep that data on file and go by what it does, not what people say it can do ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Any oil will work. Just has to be applied to the metal. Ever see anyone say an oil let their gun rust? And this thread will prove what i say cause all brands will be listed. Even Penzoil.

9. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I use Eezox: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=296080&t=11082005

YMMV

10. RJ

RJ TS Member

My Dad came upon an ol gun buried in the mud many years ago and he brought it home I got the priveledge of cleaning off the mud and dirt off and out of it. A single barrel 12 gage. The wood was not salvageable. But anyway I cleaned this guy to where you could eat off it. Opened 4 cans of Valvoline and dumped it in a tub just big enough to hold the oil and the gun parts. let it soak in there for about 4 days and started with one piece at a time. I cleaned up the gun metal parts and Dad he made the stock and forearm. The barrel was pitted but not to where it needed bored or anything like that. Dumped the oil and refiled it with 4 more new cans. My uncle owned a Gas station then. Got the oil cheep. Would have used resicled oil from the dump tank for the first go round but he, my uncle had just had it empted. The gun turned out to be a pretty good shooter. I wanted it but many years later Dad sold it. I was scremin mad. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

WPT- In exposure tests, Brownell probably did the best one, RIG came out superior to the others test for rust prevention. The tests involved coating, one time, sheets of metal with different rust prevention lubricants and placing them out side for one year.

Rust prevention is only one factor in evaluating a gun lubricant. RIG does not have great lubricating characteristics (poor lubricity) but is great for rust prevention. Clenzoil is a good thin lubricant and also works as a cleaning compound. This is accomplished by adding solvents to the oil base. It does lack adequate adhesion to be a superior rust prevention treatment.

Pat Ireland

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Heck WPT, do you even need a rust preventer in AZ? Anything will work out there. Has it rained out there this year?

13. billn

billn Member

A good way to test the oil on something, bring it to Seattle, WA and let it stay out a year, I been here for a week and one half, it has rained, or stormed everyday since I been here.

14. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I use a lot of WD-40, but I only buy the bulk (like 1 gal.)

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use the WD-40 that comes in the pressurized container as it will become sticky or gummy.

Only the bulk is what I use.

Allen

15. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

I second for Eezox

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><i>"I use a lot of WD-40, but I only buy the bulk (like 1 gal.)

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use the WD-40 that comes in the pressurized container as it will become sticky or gummy.

Only the bulk is what I use."</I></blockquote>What's the difference? It's the same stuff!!

MK

17. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Pretty hard to beat good old 3-N-ONE oil, plus it smells so good.

Cheers,

George

18. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have used Breakfree CLP on my guns for many years. I discovered it while hunting in the San Francisco/San Pablo Bays for Canvasbacks, Bluebills, Spoonies, Mallards, Teal, etc. I will guarantee you, there is nothing that will rust a gun faster than shooting over salt water marshes and bays. I shot a BPS pump for years just for this type hunting. I was a fireman at the time (which is how I discovered it since that's about all we used at the fire hall) and shot approximately 60 days of every 93 day season for many years. There were many times I would just come home from hunting, leave the gun in the boat with just a quick wipe down, inside and out, with a cloth dampened with Breakfree, and head for work, only to go back out and hunt the next day. I would totally tear the gun down ONCE at the end of each season, unless I shot in a really bad downpour, and put the gun away for the year. It never showed any signs of serious rusting, even after about 10 years of doing this. Sure made me a believer in the product. I suppose there are others that are just as good, but, with no rust after 10 years of Bay shooting, how could another product be any better?.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

On my guns, I wipe them with Rig. It lasts forever and even though it looks greasy, it really is not. best stuff ever, been using it for 30+ years

20. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Cosmolene, works good just a little messy to get off

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.