1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Off-range Practice?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by LukeG, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukeG

LukeG Member

I can't make it to the range everyday, but I would still like to continually improve. I know getting a consistent gun mount is important and I am already working on that. What do the best trapshooters do for off-range/at home practice?

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

shooting moving aspirin with a Daisy.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Mental practice. While waiting to fall asleep at night, close your eyes and shoot a round of trap in your mind. Picture all the shots and break all the birds in your mind. The experts say your brain can't tell the difference between mental practice and real practice. HMB

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB has the right idea. A top shooter once tole me that it takes him at least two days to mentally prepare for an important shoot.

Pat Ireland

6. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

Terry Jordan's wall chart will help with mounting and sight picture...it's helped me...

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

The Dry Fire system is a terrific training device. Highly recommend it. Jake

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I agree with Jake.

9. LukeG

LukeG Member

Do you guys personally have a Dry Fire System? I haven't seen that before and it looks pretty cool.

10. shark1

shark1 Member

Study hard! Get a video of a good instructor and watch it many times. Physical fitness work outs will help greatly! I can write a list a mile long. Mike Sharkey, DC

11. tigerdvr

tigerdvr TS Member

I'm new to trap and have done the following for a poor man's simulator: I had my wife (a shooter) sit in the couch facing a blank wall about 18 feet in front of us. She has a laser pointer and knows the approximate path the birds might take.
    I'm behind the couch facing the same wall. I can practice going through my "pre-lauch sequence". Call for the bird, she launches the bird (beam), I shoot it. All is done with many safety checks and no ammo in the room. She's pretty good on target speed and path and I don't think it can hurt. I think it helps the mental preparation. No big scores yet but a lot of 23s.
    As usual YMMV
    Harley

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Yes, I do. Had it for severial years.

13. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Stand in front of a mirror with your eyes closed. Mount the gun and open your eyes. Look for consistency in how you mount the gun. Make sure the beads are straight and stacked up everytime.Another one I employ when I fit a gun is get a small level and an assistant. Again, close your eyes and mount the gun. Have your helper put the level on the rib.The level should be level everytime. Canting the gun is a no no. You will get used to the feel of a properly mounted gun.

14. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Yes we do, we have the full squad feature, can shoot full squad. My wife is a dedicated user and logged over 4000 rounds between the Fl state shoot and the Grand. She was runner up in D calss with a 195. Won a nice Shamrock shell bag. Although she did not get a punch in Hdcp she did shoot in the 90s. The system does work and is fun to use. I recommend it. Contact Bob at dryfire usa and tell him I sent you. Jake Jacobs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.