1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best O/U shotgun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I'm looking to buy an O/U shotgun and was looking for some advice. Specifically, the gun MUST come with 32" barrels. It can be a 'combo' (gun including a single 34" barrel. My price range is about the 3000 area. So I know I'm either looking at a good used gun or maybe an SKB model. I'd like to here from the members here as to which gun they would buy (or have) if given the chance. Thanks, Jim Price

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Browning XT Combo or Beretta 682 Gold E Combo...same $3K price point.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have owned several different O/U's and combo's that fit your desciption. The only ones that still reside in the safe are Beretta 680 series guns. They just work for me.

I'm still debating on a 3200 though.

ss

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Browning (superposed or Citori) currently XT - proven record - good resale and keeps going and going and going... Berettas are good, too, but sometimes have trigger/quality problems. Best Regards, Ed

5. Fisher

Fisher Member

I have shot a 687 silver pigeon 2/Joel Etchen special trap combo for 4 years. It is not perfect, but has been a very good shooter and a very good value. Is a little over your budget though. Browning XT is a pretty fair gun too, but a little heavy. Both, will have some recoil.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the 682 Beretta and I have 2 combo sets. Both of these guns were second hand and the better one was bought for $2,100 in about 95% condition from a well known retailer in Ohio. I think your $3K budget will get you a similar gun today. My guns are both 682X trap models which have a rather plain/dull metal finish. The newer 682 gold models will cost quite a bit more without providing any practical benefits beyond cosmetic.

The 32"/34" combo is what I prefer but you will probably find more 30"/32" and shorter combos on the used market.

The XT Browning is also within your price range and is a very good choice as well. Get a combo if at all possible because you will want it.

Buying new trap guns is a lot like buying new cars. They might be nice and shiney and smell really good but you pay dearly for those minor benefits. A good condition used gun makes alot more sense and leaves money in your pocket for ammo.

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

One that FITS! And one that has a proven record of value and reliability.

Try some out before committing. Kind of like dating. Some girls look great at first, smell and feel great, but turn out to be a divorce case once you take the plunge with a pain in the neck/cheek--or other places!

Guy Babin

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

You can get a new Beretta 687 silver pigeon Trap O/U with 32" bbls for just under $3000 from Joel Etchen.

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

A K32 is the best in that price range

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I went to buy a Browning or perhaps the Berretta at HiGrade Shooters Supply. Ended up walking out with the SKB GC7 Grade III and an Americase. Great gun for the value and way better for a lefty. I would be wanting rid of the Browning by now and am still liking this gun. It took a buddy to help me get it fitted correctly but once I did that my scores went way up. So the advice of one that fits is spot on and I am throwing in a vote for SKB. Also go for the Grade III, then you won't want a pretty gun in a year.

Courtney

11. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I have an XT golden clays and it would fit right in your price range. I have never had the slightest hiccup...it has gone bang every time I have pulled the trigger...knock on wood. The Brownings seem to fit me better than the Beretta's but that may be different for you. The Golden Clays model is def. not necessary but it sure feels nice to shoulder such a pretty gun. It all comes down to what fits you best. You should shoulder both the Browning Citori, the Beretta, and possibly the SKB's and see what feels best (shoot them all if possible).

Good luck and let us know what you choose (with pics)

12. rumseyplum

rumseyplum TS Member

Browning XT combo, get the adjustable comb, 34/32 barrels, about $4000, never need another trapgun...above all, get a combo, you'll never regret it..
    Bob F.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Another vote for a 682..

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ånd another for the Model 32.....Bob Dodd

15. rick979

rick979 Active Member

An old Perazzi MX8 in decent shape. It will cost you the whole $3,000.00 but is a great investment gun.

16. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Check out the Browning XS combo Bob Shultz has for sale on this forum. The price is great! Bob is a TS.com family member, and that is a heck of a deal. If I I was in the market for a Browning combo, I'd jump on it.

17. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

check out this citori plus at gun broker item # 145699979
    bid is at 1200

18. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

http://www.higradeshooters.com/details/used/u15857.asp

http://www.higradeshooters.com/details/used/u16083.asp

http://www.higradeshooters.com/details/used/u16052.asp

http://www.higradeshooters.com/details/used/u16010.asp

You cant do business with better people.

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Either a type 3 Perazzi Mx8 or Perazzi Grand Italia.

20. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Those Krieghoff model 32s will run forever. ( no such thing as a K32)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.