1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best o/u gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 635 G, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

What is the best o/u gun you can buy new without any wood?--I'm going to be building a doubles gun-with release triggers--I want to go to one
    person to build & fit the wood for me--factory fitting and wood is a waste (in my opinion)--If it was any good why do we see so many PFS's ?

Lou

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Save yourself some money and get a used Remington 3200. It has very fast mechanical triggers which are ideal for doubles. Also the POI of the lower barrel is adjustable, which is another plus for shooting doubles. HMB

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

HMB-thanks for the advice-besides a 3200, which other guns have mechanical triggers?

Lou

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Krieghoff also has mechanical triggers and adjustable POI.

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Go to Kolar and get exactly whjat you want with exactly the wood you want. You can't get a better trigger and you can convert it from pull to release in seconds. Service and fitting are second to none. The longer you own the gun and the nmore you deal with Kolar, the better you will like it.

Also, there is no expensive "annual service" or constantly breaking hammer spings. If you ever have a problem, a rare event, you will see why Kolar should write a book on customer service. Great gun; great people!

6. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Kolar will give you the best service of anybody and you can also get them to make the custom fit stock for you and Jeff mainland is very good at fitting. Their gun does have the adjustable POI feature as does the Krieghoff.

Don't overlook Krieghoff when you are doing the comparison though. Their service is second only to Kolar. Their triggers in my opinion are better in terms of function then Kolar. To switch from release to pull though, you have to have a Krieghoff smith do it whereas the Kolar you can change the parts yourself. This, in my opinion, is a small advantage because you will likely never switch back from a release after you start with it anyway. The comments about broken springs has to be refering to a Perazzi as I have shot several hundred thousand rounds through two Krieghoffs and never broke a hammer spring. In fact, my first trap special recorded more then 130,000 targets and the only broken part was the hook that holds the forend on the barrel. The annual service is required, according to Krieghoff, every 10,000 rounds. I had it done annually even though I fired many times that each year. It does run about 200 bucks and it is important you get one of the good Krieghoff trained people to do it. If you don't do it often enough you will have spring issues as Krieghoffs are loaded with springs.

Kolar is real good about checking out the gun for you at the grand and will likely do it for nothing especially if you get to know Jeff Mainland, he is truly one of a kind.

The Kolar will be less expensive then the Krieghoff but when you sell the gun, you will likely recover the extra money spent.

I am not advocating either gun only trying to give you my honest input. I have shot Krieghoffs for years and my daughter shot her Kolar. Both offer great guns with each having some advantages over the other. You won't go wrong with either. I would suggest you get a dealer to let you try each and buy the one that feels the best. I would only consider the .750 bore Kolar as the regular bored guns are somewhat slow swingers.

Mark Zauhar

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input guys, I won't touch a Beretta or Browning because of their factory service, which will be non-existant once I get a custom stock, fore-end, & trigger made. I will stay away from Kolar, because I know of a person who had to send his Kolar to a barrel smith to correct the "speed bumps" in a barrel that would not thrown a decent pattern. Might have to get a 3200 & have it made the way I want it. So if anyone out there has a 3200-doesn't have to be tubed-prefer mod/full with no porting-please PM me.

Lou

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you want a gun that a quality release can easily be installed avoid the 3200. Even if the release holds together the rest of the gun will fall apart around it. Think Model 32 Krieghoff as parts are readily available and both the trigger and gun will likely outlive you!!

9. Sovrapposti

Sovrapposti TS Member

Sound like you are not looking for best o/u gun, you are looking for cheap good gun.

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

If & when Dennis DeVault comes out with an o/u, I will buy one in a heart beat, I already have an Infinity, & in my opinion it is the best deal & quality in the high end mkt. K & K guns are mass produced & they're not worth the money. If you see tons of them out there. They are Mercedes. An Infinity is a Ferrari.

Lou

11. oleolliedawg

Lou, if you ever spent any time at the Krieghoff factory you'd realize why they cost as much as they do!!

12. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Are there major differences between the Remington 3200 and the K32? Aren't they both built on the same basic design? Just because it's made in Germany and costs a ton of money doesn't make it better. I know Kreighoff bought the design for their K32 from Remington so why is it so much better? JRM

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Lou,

You are right, it is over priced. You can get 5 3200s for the price of a K-80. Parts are available from Laibs and the 3200 is easy to work on. Not like a K-80 which takes a master gunsmith to fix it if any thing breaks. HMB

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Now if you want to go the single barrel route---90T vs a Kolar

Lou

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

635 G I hate to be the one to ask but why did you ask this question? Anything that anyone suggest you say you won't own because of service or lack of it. Yet you are considering a gun(Rem 3200)that has no service. Then you say.

"Now if you want to go the single barrel route---90T vs a Kolar"

It is hard to compare the two as Rem 90T is made by Kolar!!!!

So tell us why did you start this thread?

You say "I will stay away from Kolar, because I know of a person who had to send his Kolar to a barrel smith to correct the "speed bumps" in a barrel that would not thrown a decent pattern." Interesting know explanation about the speed bumps? You know one person that had trouble with a Kolar. Sounds like a pretty good track record to me.

So if you won't take any advice, why did you ask?

Bob Lawless

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The one you can make a good second shot with.

17. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

if you have a infinity why not buy a 391 beretta and have your guy do his magic, or get it over already and buy a perazzi (the real ferarri). p-guns in my opinion r the only true custom peice......................

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Sean, I started out with a NCP Beretta that was fitted for me, shot it well in singles & caps---but after several slam fires with a release trigger---I decided I want an o/u for doubles

Lou

19. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

This is almost like going to the KIA dealership and wanting to buy a car without an interior and just in primer because you want custom colors.

20. oleolliedawg

You can buy two 3200's for the price of one Krieghoff Model 32. I'd suggest you buy several more for backups-you'll need 'em!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.