1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best O/U for around $1500

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Imamusd, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imamusd

Imamusd TS Member

My son started shooting trap for 4H....turns out he really likes my 391. Well since he likes the 391 and shoots it well, I thought I better get me a new gun. Checking the finances come tax time I will have up to $2000 to spend. I have shot Beretta O/Us and really like them, but a 682 seems to be out of my price range. I know I will get a ton of opinions, but I would still like to know what the best O/U in my price range is. I don't shoot a ton, but I shoot about 4,000 shells a year. Any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Gary

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Browning XT

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Beretta 686 would be my first choice. Browning would be my next choice. I am average size 5'11" and 185lbs and the Berettas fit me better than the Brownings. You can take your time and find a nice gun at a reasonable price. I found a 686 with 28 inch barrel with upgraded wood in 93% for $900.00. I've been offered $1500.00 for it but I'm keeping it. LOL Jackie B.

4. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I'm a big fan of the beretta 682's. I'm not sure someone like me that shoots 2500 rounds or so a year could wear one out in two lifetimes if you take just a little care of them. I shoot mine at everything--skeet, trap, sporting, doves, quail, pheasant, ducks whatever. I have three of the older models as I don't really like the looks of the latest Gold e model

I have a silver receiver sporting model(1994 I believe) that is in very good condition that I would sell for $1500. It has 28" bbls with 1.5 inch beretta extended mobile chokes that make it swing about like a 30. It has a very high quality adjustable comb that I raise about .25 inch to shoot trap and lower for everything else. I can send pictures if you are interested.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I think any of the Browning "target" Citoris would be an excellent value. In addition to the "trap" guns, I would also consider the "sporting" guns... either 425 or 525 sporting models... all are well built on the proven Citori platform.

regards and good luck,

Jay

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Browning Citori Plus. Any fitting required, you're covered. Make sure the rib (aluminum) is straight. Good luck.

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I agree with Jay (spitter) posting above 110%. Can't go wrong with a Browning...best value for the $. Best Regards, Ed

8. gusto777

gusto777 Member

Browning XT . . . great shotgun for the money!

Gus
    Las Vegas, NV

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Brownings are good guns but before you buy one locate a gunsmith you trust that knows how to work on them. Factory service is practically non-existent and warranty claims are handled, according to Browning< on a "case by case" basis.

MK

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think you could find a nice 682x Beretta in your price range. I have 2 of these models in combo sets and the more expensive of the two was $2150 from a large wid western retailer. That gun was in about 95% condition when I got it and still had all of the original finish on the breech face.

The newer 682 models do cost quite a bit more but mostly what you get there over a 682x is cosmetic bling.

The Browning XT is a great gun too but the Beretta has a bit trimmer reciever if that makes any difference to you.

11. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

Go used! Beretta 682/687, won't ever wear out, and if you ever resell, will get most of your money back.

I'd look on this site, or guns america, or try joel etchen's used...

Good luck!

12. Indyrun

Indyrun Member

You can still get Belgium made Browning Superposed for around $1,500. One of the best guns ever built. Shot my first 100 straight with one. - Mark

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I second the 682.. GREAT gun for starter or pro..

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I agree with Mark....and mechanical triggers are a huge plus....

15. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

A used Citori Plus.

16. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Browning Citori Trap. You can get an excellent condition, used, with a hard case for $1500. The gun will out last you. Jon

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Rem 3200s!

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Better make sure you shoot a Browning Plus before you buy, a lot of people including myself found out the hard way they couldn't shoot them worth beans, in other words they are great guns just not for everyone.

19. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

We have a Browning Citori, Special Trap edition, 32" barrel, Diana grade choke tubes (2), adj comb ( not the Browning hardware), Counter Coil butt, 15" LOP, box, top lever well to right of center. $ 1600.00
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

20. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have a like new Winchester Select Energy Trap with case and tubes, for $1495.00.
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.