1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Best O/U for a youth

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by roger8918, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger8918

roger8918 Member

My 15 year old son is looking to upgrade his 1100 with an O/U. Any suggestions? He’s on the small side and hoping to spend under $1000.

Thanks,
    Roger

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

One of the guys at the club bought a field grade citori 12g bought A wenig NewAmerican standard grade walnut stock. He actually used their ladies trap model then had a adjustable comb installed. It came out nice and fits the kid well. Can be cut to LOP as needed. Your other option is if you got a O/U already get A PFS 13.5lop to 16"lop?<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=100_0040-2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> Then either reload some soft shooting shells or get the 1145 gun clubs. this is what the Womens trap stock standard grade looks like on my wifes auto.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Roger, If your son is still a bit on the small side, I think that you might want to hold off on a O/U for a year or two. His muscles are still growning at 15. Try to add some weights to the barrel and get him used to some more weight up front yet. Add 4-6 oz. and then 8 or more. You get the idea. Try looking for a older Browning, if he has to have one right now. Right now your son might need 28 inch barrels to swing comfortably, but in a year or two he should be able to handle the 30 inch barrels with no problem. This will open up a lot used guns for him to buy. I like brownings, but your son might not. This will give him some time to try different guns ( at your local club) and find one that HE LIKES. Best of Luck. Break-em all. Jeff

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

something like this that you can modify a bit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.